main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Will Indy 4 have as much cgi as the new SW movies, or any at all?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by rpeugh, Jun 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpeugh

rpeugh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Do you think Indy 4 will use a lot of cgi like the new SW movies? I think they could create some pretty cool enviornments with cgi. I'm pretty excited.

2. Rupert_Pupkin

Rupert_Pupkin Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2002
    No. Spielberg isnt as stupid as Lucas. Indy will be on location shots just like the other 3 movies.

3. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    That's actually a great question. :eek:

But since Indiana Jones movies are more "earthbound" (so far!) there will probably be less of a need for it.

I guess it depends on what the story ends up being.

Rick McCallum loves you!

4. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Oh yeah.

Maybe not as much as SW since it isn't Sci Fi but there will be CGI.

Think about all of the stuff in the last ones that would of been CGI had it been around.

Plus depending on where it takes place they may have to do a lot of green screen work.

5. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    <<Indy will be on location shots just like the other 3 movies.>>

You really need to go back and watch the films.

Not only was there an enormous amount of soundstage work done, but also the use of miniatures, matte paintings to augment the location shooting.

I'm certain for the most part, the CGI work that WILL be done in the new INDY film will be invisible simply because a lot of it will be used to recreate things that ACTUALLY EXIST.

This is one of the things that some people REALLY have a problem with, when it comes to CGI in fantasy and science fiction. Because the technique is used to create things that don't and can't exist, the mind aoutomatically screams: "Effect!".

Look at the work done in "Pearl Harbor". Those effects had an automatic advantage in that they were recreating Earth-bound objects and situations.

Some people just have a problem "suspending disbelief", IMHO. Their ability to lose themselves in the magic onscreen has been diminished by their lack of a sense of wonder.

CGI is here to stay, and it's only going to get better. Get used to it.

-Otis

6. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Minority Report, A.I., E.T. SE, etc.

Spielberg has no problem with CGI.

I had an interesting thought last night. Steve is against shooting digitally. George, though, is very for it. I'm sure they will end up using film, though, because they're obviously won't be quite as much CGI as Star Wars. I can just picture them arguing about it. :p

7. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    I thought I heard a quote in the past where Spielberg mentioned how he wanted the Indy films to look like they were made in the 30's yet still be modern enough for today's audiences. I think if Spielberg does use CGI it'll be more a long the lines of the CGI in Saving Private Ryan than things like Minority Report or AI, which are films set in the future.

8. Warsloth

Warsloth Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    I don't know, but Lucas is a total idiot...
    he almost ruined me on star wars, episode 1 in my opinion was a total waste... there is such a thing as too much CGI, and I can't even stand to talk about it, it makes me so angry, AOTC was okay, but I think lucas was getting ideas from a 7 year old, I mean look at jar jar, was ep. 1 a disney kiddie movie or what??? VERDICT: lucas is an idiot

SUGGESTION: let spielburg have his way with indy4 because he is a good director, just keep jerry bruckheimer the hell away, and don't mention the freaking holocaust (im sick of it)

9. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    Spielberg isnt as stupid as Lucas.

...but Lucas is a total idiot.

I ask you people this one, very simple question:

Why are you here?

10. Warsloth

May 24, 2002
    what are you suggesting plo?
    yeah, lucas is alowing people to use the SW universe to make fan films, and as yet there is no WW2 movie forum, and no hollywood big wig is going to copywright WW2 or real life for that matter, out from underneath us, Lucas did open up SW for fanfilms, but he made sure no one can make money from it (but him) and the people running TF.net
    as far as the prequel trilogy goes...
    its like watching a cartoon world with real people in it... the only real location is tatooine

by the way, did anyone else think the pod races were boring and a waste. star wars is about a revolution, and old fashioned chivalry, not nascar of the future... SHEESH

11. PloKloon1138

Apr 5, 2001
    what are you suggesting plo?

I am suggesting that if you hate Lucas so much, maybe you shouldn't spend so much time talking about the films made by the "idiot".

Lucas did open up SW for fanfilms

No, he made made SW for himself and for people to enjoy themselves. Not for people to make "The Phantom Edit".

the only real location is tatooine

Nothing in SW is "real". But if you mean actually shot on location, so were some of the scenes on Naboo.

Sometimes I just don't understand human behavior.

12. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    i dout there would be too many effects if so, they'll be simple, maybe cloning people in a crowd or background elements. If there are we wont notice them since unlike star wars we can relate to seeing it or feeling it in "our galaxy". The effects were great in EP.II but you can tell because there is nothing like any of the effects you really noticed, that problem doesn't go with indy

13. Warsloth

May 24, 2002
    by the way plo, argueing on the internet is like playing in the special olympics...
    Even if you win, you're still a retard

14. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    Indy is Lucas's creation. If he wants it to be all CGI and it to be filmed on DIGITAL, he will have it that way. In a way, Spielberg and Ford are working for him.

15. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    by the way plo, argueing on the internet is like playing in the special olympics...
    Even if you win, you're still a retard

I love flaming!

(BTW, Poo cat poops!)

16. PloKloon1138

Apr 5, 2001
    Thanks, warsloth. I'll remember that. [face_plain]

17. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    The Indy moves take place on earth and thus they don't need all of the CGI that Star Wars does.

18. PloKloon1138

Apr 5, 2001
    Yes, Luke_Clone, you described it perfectly in one sentence. :)

19. Luke_Clone

Jun 15, 2002
    PloKloon1138

Thank you PloKloon1138. :) Lucas is working in an entirely different universe with Star Wars and thus he needs CGI for sets/vehicles/creatures/etc.

I'm sure that Indy will employ some CGI in terms of FX during action sequences... for example if the Indy script calls for a Stuka Dive Bomber (man the ones in Corelli were good! ;) ) the plane would have to be done in CGI.

But, as Indy is taking place in the real world most of the sets already exist.

20. Warsloth

May 24, 2002
    im sick of CGI, there are still stukas, im sure.. if not they can build them... I remember they used to race ww2 planes like mustangs, emmils (bf109's), and zeros... they were all vintage.. and they are the most awesome aircraft in existance... nothing beats a real engine chugging away at 4-5 hundred miles an hour... and building real props, will always be superior to CGI. even if you can't tell the difference

21. Luke_Clone

Jun 15, 2002
    "im sick of CGI, there are still stukas, im sure.. if not they can build them"

Actually, there are no flyable Stukas left and if you've ever seen "Battle of Britain" (1980) you will see that the Stukas in that film are all models/cockpits constructed for filming against a blue screen.

However, I do agree that a real plane is better than a CGI plane. Compare BoB to the sequence in Pearl Harbor. There is not a single real Heinkel-111 in Pearl Harbor while in BoB they have perhaps a dozen or so Spanish planes based on the Heinkel Design. Whenever, possible for WW2 films the director should use real vintage plans... for American fighters this isn't such a big deal as there are so many in existence but for German and Japanese aircraft there are very few of these warbirds still in flyable condition let alone sitting in museums. Heck I think most if not all "real" Japenese planes in Pearl Harbor were mocked up old American planes. :)

;) Well that's the end of my rant. :D

22. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    >>>im sick of CGI<<<

Then I would suggest not watching films like Minority Report, Spider-Man, The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Titanic.

They will be a total waste of your time. Especially given the fact that even these movies rely on CGI fairly heavily.
    After TPM was released, even Titanic was the 2nd biggest CGI film ever made. TPM was #1, but Titanic was #2 with about 500 effetcs shots. Not to mention these other more recent ones that have probably out done even that number that Titanic had.

Oh yeah, don't bother going to see Episode III either. And besides its director is an "idiot".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.