main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Indy IV be Harrison Ford's swan song to the big screen?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by IDigMetalBikinis, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IDigMetalBikinis

IDigMetalBikinis Jedi Master star 2

Oct 1, 2003
    There's nothing like going out on top, as they say, especially when it's playing a character that Ford has long stated has been his favorite.

But he is getting up there in years. In recent history, he has done one film every two years or so, and the majority of those have been met with less-than-enthusiastic response. In his IMDB profile, there are no projects he is attached to after Indy IV(nothing in pre-production or announced).

Is it possible he might feel that with Indy IV, everything after would be anti-climactic and he'll say to hell with it, and enjoy the rest of his years playing golf like Sean Connery?

2. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Only time will tell. I could see it being his swan song, on the other hand, if it's hugely successful, it might "up" his stock in the industry and people may want him for more films.

3. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    This is something I've been pondering as well. I don't think Indy 4 will be his last film but I do think it could very well be his last big action adventure bonanza. I can see him becoming semi-retired and only making occasional films and take small supporting parts every now and then. I think he'll be going from ... Starring Harrison Ford to And Harrison Ford as ... I mean this is the best possible sense by the way.

4. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    I hope not, I don't care if he keeps making average films, he still has gravitas.

5. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

Ford's the man, he doesn't need to prove himself. :cool:

6. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Agree -- no need for Ford to prove anything. Though at 65 he still has some mileage left in him.

Yet there is precedent for successful, older action heroes. The role just has to be a pretty perfect fit to work. For instance, Clint Eastwood was 63 when "In the Line of Fire" was released and 70 when "Space Cowboys" debuted. John Wayne was 67 when "Rooster Cogburn" was released and 68 when "The Shootist hit the screen.

And look at Yoda, almost 900 years old in the PT and still fighting strong!

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. Harrison Ford makes everything better.

8. klebb

klebb Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2007
    [face_worried] I certainly don't believe that Harrison will hang up not only his fedora but also his career. I'm Klebb and I'm new.

9. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I don't want to see Mr Ford in any more action films (unless of course there is another Indiana Jones post KOTCS or if a miracle occurs and there is SW: Ep VII)

I would love to see him return to small drama films like Mosquito Coast or Witness.

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    From the way things are going, I can definitely see the latter happening - especially with all the hype and anticipation surrounding this film. Besides that, there are already rumors out there about what his next project will be after Indy and some of them sound pretty promising. I think it's safe to say that Harrison will be sticking around for quite a while yet.

11. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    So many incredible actors stay in the game long after their glory days. This might be one of the last films which puts Harrison as the lead actor--this might be his last action film (where he still performs much of the action himself) but I believe he will still be acting years from now. He is too young, and too fit to give it all up now.

-Seldon

12. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Both movie stars and talented character actors can have long careers. Clint Eastwood is 76 and still directing. Morgan Freeman is still making movies. Nicholson is 70. Michael Gough appeared in Sleepy Hollow in his late 80s. Christopher Lee is still working. There's no reason Harrison can't continue a good long time, though not with the same action roles.

13. JediMasterKendo

JediMasterKendo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2000
    I wonder if there will be any comic relief moments or humours moments like what went on during Last Crusade with Indy and his father.

14. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Oh, you're almost guaranteed that! It's not an Indy film without those moments. That's what gave the other films their charm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.