main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Will it be the Thrawn trilogy?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Lyall Thomas, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyall Thomas

Lyall Thomas Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    I personally would very much like to see this next trilogy based on the Thrawn novels by Timothy Zahn. For me, and for most other Star Wars nuts I'm sure, this is how the story officially continues....It would be far more nuts to simply ignore them, and make them in fact irrelevant.

The stories have everything - the natural successor and heir to the Empire, in character as well as fact - Grand Admiral Thrawn. You also have plenty of new characters to cast; Thrawn, Tallon Karde, Mara Jade, Borsk Fey'lya, Garm Bel Iblis, Joruus C'Boath. Great new worlds to discover and a real, well thought out and interesting plot.

As previously talked about too, Disney have done great things with Marvel comic material and have shown a true desire to use the essence of these; what has captured the hearts of their fans from the very beginning.

I am expecting Luke, Leia, Han and Han to all be re-cast - which if done properly ought to be very successful. It will take some getting used to, but so did the transition from Sean Connery to Roger Moore as James Bond and all 007's since. This could be equally as successful if the right actors are cast who can truly re-capture those characters perfectly.

Obviously with the rest, C3P0, R2-D2, Chewbacca, you can have Anthony Daniels et al back however old they are. And characters such as Wedge Antilles, Mon Mothma, Lando Calrissian can also be successfully recast.

There just needs to be a balance between live action set, location and CGI. Lucas CGI'd the **** out of the last two films to the point of unbelievability. .

Random Comments likes this.
  2. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I would bet my life it's not the Thrawn trilogy. But I wouldn't bet that all the elements of those books are retconned out. I could see the new trilogy taking place 10 years or so after the Thrawn story and having cameos of Zahn characters.

3. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    the luuke skywalker thing would never fly on the big screen....not to say that the odd EU character wont pop up. I would guess they may look at Lucas's original scripts and get so 'Re Write's" done

4. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    As good as the Thrawn trilogy is, I'd rather they do something original and fresh rather than lazily rehash an already existing story. ;)

5. LANDOROCKS

LANDOROCKS Jedi Knight

Oct 30, 2012
    Not a chance IMO, they have already said it will be an ORIGINAL story.

6. Cyrax86

Cyrax86 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2009
    When the news broke, I immediately thought of the Thrawn trilogy and that re-casting the actors would be a disaster etc. Would they really pass on this and put Episode VII further in time and ignore most of this, and the Jedi Knight games? That would be disappointing...

7. Drunken Jedi Master

Drunken Jedi Master Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 1999
  8. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I think a new trilogy has to be a massive story, possible centuries AFTER Legacy. I mean, leave the existing EU alone and write something original.

9. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Simple answer? No. According to a source within Lucasfilm, the trilogy's storyline will not be an adaptation of any of the existing 'EU' material, which I personally think is smart; although the EU is considered canon, there has never been any imperative in place for any film or television projects to adhere to what it has done. I do think that elements of the EU material will end up being incorporated into the films, but likely only to the same degree that they were for the Prequel Trilogy.

The source did say that the trilogy will be 'completely original', but I doubt that is going to be entirely true given that the trilogy's scripts will, in all likelihood, be based at least somewhat on story treatments that Lucas handed over to Kathy Kennedy.

10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I think the Thrawn trilogy is highly overrated IMO..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.