main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will IX be the end of the Skywalkers?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well there are 2 possibilities

1. it was a mislead. tell the audience something and they will believe it, so they will be more surprised later when its revealed who she really is.

2. Her parentage was still undecided in 7 and 8 and Rian was more interested in her being a random.

Overall if Rey was a skywalker, it would add up far greater then her being a random. because that means they are the grandkids of anakin skywalker. and the name skywalker will be part of their heritage and also compliment the title of it being the skywalker saga.

Personally i don't think there needs to be anymore episodes after this. after all Disney are probably gonna be making loads of films and tv shows based on other characters anyway. so having the prequels of the skywalker saga, the middle section and the next generational section would probably wrap it all up nicely.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    The Regular Mustache likes this.
  2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yeah it seems like after Ep. IX the vast majority of Star Wars movies and TV shows aren't going to focus on the Skywalkers so I don't know why some people insist that in addition to all of those projects the hero of the ST also has to be a non-Skwalker. If you're somebody who wants the hero of a Star Wars story to be a non-Skywalker well Lucasfilm has got you covered for the foreseeable future.

3. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Before I post my point let me say that I understand about lineages, and how you can still be a Skywalker if you're called Ren or Solo or Organa.

My point is that unless Rey is the daughter of Luke (which I don't like as a premise personally), then the Skywalker saga as such is dead as the name has disappeared from the story.

Schmi was Skywalker, Anakin is Skywalker and Luke is Skywalker.

Leia is Organa, and Ben we don't know his last name (is it Solo, Solo-Organa, or just Ren). This could be done on purpose but would be silly if it's revealed he actually doesn't take his parental surnames and adopts his grandfather or uncle's.

Any continuation of the story without the main character being actually named Skywalker would be weird for a casual viewer to say this is the Skywalker Saga if there are no characters called Skywalker.

In my view (and unless Rey is called Rey Skywalker), the Skywaker Saga is at an end, Luke is the last of the name and unless he has some big role still to play (which I doubt), the Skywalker story is finishing in IX. Leia (the other), will likely also die in IX, and even if Ben turns back to the good side, he should acknowledge his own father and take up the SOLO name.

4. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Leia may not die since Carrie isn't around to film a death scene, and that would probably be in bad taste anyway, especially if you are bringing her back with TFA & TLJ deleted footage.

Rodie and wobbits like this.
  5. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I don't see why they can't leave Leia alive to pass naturally off screen. That isn't going to prevent them from telling any stories that DO NOT involve a Skywalker.

Darth_Bertie and godisawesome like this.
  6. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Counter point! After the good guys win and her son returns to the light a happy and relieved Leia will fade away and then later be seen as a ghost with Luke at her side. Spare me the," Leia never trained to become a Force Ghost" nonsense. If that's the story they want to tell they'll do it. I'm fine with it.

The powers that be might pitch this as Leia living forever rather than Leia being killed off. "What's better," they'll say, "Leia living and then eventually dying off screen and maybe only briefly mentioned in a Star Wars movie set after Ep. IX, or Leia cheating death and living forever?"

7. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    @godisawesome
    I agree with about everything you wrote, except... When I said that the idea of a Rey Skywalker made me snore, it was not really because I was worried about the content of such a story. I maintain that there should have been more backstory about Rey in TFA, so we could have had at least indications about her "royal" lineage, but RJ could have come up with a scenario similar to the one you proposed; indeed, it would have probably worked in term of storywriting. That was not my issue with the Rey Skywalker (or Solo, for that matter) thing.

My concern is more general: no matter how it would have been done, it would have been a "I'm your father" scenario once again, with the addition of a "I'm your father", and "you're my sister" replaced with "I'm your cousin". So, just like TFA was basically a rip-off of ANH with different characters, TLJ would have been a similar rip-off of ESB. There would have been the "astonishing" revelation ("Oh really? I had no idea hahaha".), Rey would have had second thoughts about killing her evil cousin, she would have trained with her father just like Luke trained with Yoda, etc, etc... So yes, it would have been a different story than ESB, but the element of surprise would have been absent for most of us. And more importantly,a question would have risen: why doing it again?

And on this subject, I've got an even more general concern: the future SW saga. Disney announced that this trilogy was the last of the Skywalker saga: does that mean that they are done with the Skywalker forever? Not necessarily, at least I don't think they have these kinds of (commercial) suicidal tendencies. But if they want to start a new generation of SW heroes, and start this new generation with a Skywalker hero, well... they will be stuck with having the Skywalker family as the protagonists of the future SW sagas, because the audience will keep asking for it. And it will keep turning round and round.

If the new SW Hero is not a Skywalker, it opens more doors for the future: the Skywalkers could still be present, but more in the background. Even if there's a big revelation in EP IX that makes Rey the lost princess of Naboo for example, it won't really matter for the future of the franchise., because she will be "something else" than a Skywalker. If Ben survives and has children, even if it's with Rey, these children won't have to be the protagonists of the future movies (although, I know I would be very curious to see how the progeniture of two strong Force Users would do...). The audience will have accepted that the story won't focus anymore on the Skywalker family, and learn to discover new characters.

I hope I clarified my thoughts well enough.

8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I feel like TFA tried to escape the Skywalker story to create new characters, but the fact they brought in the Originals scrambled that.
    This trilogy just couldn't escape them.

It'll be okay, if they can strike gold with the casting again. And so far they'd done a good job of that, in TFA, Rogue and Solo.

It won't happen, but it'd be wild to have a cast announcement for the New Thing at Celebration.

9. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    The ST story is to the OT story as the OT story is to the PT story. The PT characters Obi Wan and Yoda were just as prominent in the OT as Han, Luke and Leia are in the ST

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  10. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Which new thing? There’s a lot of things these days!

11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    All the Things!
    But we won't see a damn Thing.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  12. TheReal_Rebel

TheReal_Rebel Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2015
    Currently no films or tv series or games exist that do not have a member of the Skywalker family appear in them, other than the KOTOR game, Books and comics.

There is nothing, including KOTOR, to suggest that other characters can hold up the weight of the entire Star Wars Universe and bring in audience other than the Skywalkers (Anakin/Vader, Padme, Luke, Leia, Han, Kylo Ben.) All of the novels, etc., depend on guest appearances or at least referencing them.

KOTOR and the Bane books are niche, etc. within Star Wars fandom and have not demonstrated broad appeal to the general public.

It is possible Dan Weiss and Dave Benioff will be able to achieve this in their KOTOR film, but so far there is no indications anything without the Skywalkers in it.

Rember, Solo bombed.

13. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    See the thing is that without an interesting story with interesting characters you can't really do anything.

Just because you have Luke, Leia and Han or Lando and Han make a great movie by itself.

The flip side is you can have completely new characters, Jyn, Cassian, K2, Chirrut, Baze, Krenning, and surround them with a good story and craft a decent movie.

The genius of GL is that he can create interesting characters and play them in interesting movies so that, even when you dislike aspects of it, they become beloved.

E.G. Qui-Gon-Jinn, Darth Maul, Palpatine, Padme, Schmi, Watto, Mace W., Bail Organa, to name just a few of the, now accepted and liked/accepted characters introduced in the (mostly disliked), TPM

The list goes on and on.There's a really good video essay comparing Rey and Ashoka that it's really interesting watch.

Or are we saying that really the key common thread to all successful SW movies is that it has Anakin/Vader in them?, I hope not.

14. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    I just spent some time catching up on this thread. After reading the debates, I'm thinking they are ending the Skywalker Saga so that they are no longer encumbered by the "baggage" that 40 years has brought.

They won't have to continue with R2 and 3PO being in every movie. They don't have to continue with the Falcon or a heros journey that had run its course. And they won't have to worry about "ruining any more childhoods."

Ending the story of Luke, Leia and Han opens up the horizon for them to take the story in different directions, while simultaneously telling the story we all had wished for during the draught years... Star Wars adventures! But instead of the adventures being of Luke, Leia, and Han, they'll be of the new crew.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  15. Justin Gensel

Justin Gensel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 11, 2018
    Thing is, if the company had any guts, they would have just done that, instead of relying on cheap marketing gimmicks, such as rehashing a bunch of elements familiar to the originals and getting the beloved cast members back. Just move the story ahead 100 years and drop us in with the new folks. Plop down a new Jedi Order and a new Republic with their own problems unique from the previous century.

But more and more the needle is pointing to the fact that the big creatives behind this beast had absolutely ZERO idea of how to do anything new. Everybody who was so sure that they could do better than ol' George found out once they were in the hot seat just how big of a ***** trying to set up a great batch of original Wars movies can be. Especially if you don't have the same drive and love for it as the creator did. The only person that has really bled the Saga has been Lucas and he's endured a lot of criticism, fair and not fair because of it. I would say that Mark Hamill is probably the closest thing to a second and he was completely ignored when he tried to bring his voice to the discussion

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    ami-padme likes this.