main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will IX be the end of the Skywalkers?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Maybe for the "Skywalker Saga" involving Luke and Leia, but not the end of the bloodline as there are still two left; and I don't mean one of them is Leia.

I'd say the next 9 films will be the "Solo Saga"

Dory Vader and RKR like this.
  2. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Adept

You can only take what GL says about episodes 7 to 12 with a pinch of salt, anyway that doesn't fit with his idea of Luke's sister appearing in !X and taking the story on. The fact that killing Luke after the tragic passing of Carrie has left a massive hole in the story for IX that will be filled by a crazy love story between Rey and Kylo, surely the best option after Carrie's untimely death was to recut the film and allow Luke to live?

3. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    They shut the door on that pretty clearly by the end of TLJ. Rey literally shuts the door in his face after he becomes a raving mad man when slashing ineffectively at Luke. Also, I'm taking about what KK said: https://www.cinemablend.com/news/16...r-episode-ix-heres-what-kathleen-kennedy-said

And it was not long after this that Rian Johnson's new trilogy was announced. I think we have our answer

4. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    Something crazy like that with a First Order lady, or Kylo does not die he just goes off. There needs to be a Skywalker, out there somewhere.

5. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Why? Seriously....why? This entire film was about failure and the problem of expecting your bloodline to mean something. Snoke claimed that Kylo Ren's bloodline made him special...yet a scavenger girl from the rear end of space and born to parents that sold her into slavery got the better of him, and is now....not the last Jedi....but the first of a new order. An order based on Luke's final sacrifice, the original text of the order and the realization that they are not the source of the light...they are caretakers. Perhaps it's time we looked beyond the Skywalkers.

Jazz9276 and Jacques who like this.
  6. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    Ben is royalty, he's Leia's child, he has force abilities, Rey has force abilities. They can communicate and touch one another through the force. What if, like Shmi, Ben makes Rey pregnant, Rey kills Kylo, but is left with a surprise, a Solo-Skywalker force child, thus passing on the Skywalker lineage into the next trilogy.

It's a long shot, but who knows.

7. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    Disney is not going to have Kylo Ren essentially rape and impregnate Rey.

wobbits, cut-of-space and DARTHSHAME like this.
  8. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    Hopefully not. And outside storytelling reasons, they'd have to be stupid to do it. Saying 'No More Skywalkers' now may seem cool but it won't in 10-20 years when you need to get more cash out of the franchise. The future right now is untested, don't kill the golden goose.

wobbits and BalanceOfTheForce like this.
  9. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    i hope not, I Rey turns out to be a skywalker the story of Ben turning to the dark side and, Reys mom hiding her from Luke because she didn't want her to daughter to have to deal with all of that just to be killed is way more interesting to me.

10. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Right now I'm pretty certain IX will be it. The name ended with Luke, the bloodline will end with Ben.

If Ben's redeemed and doesn't die (pretty bad odds at this point but still possible) then maybe the bloodline can continue but it doesn't look likely. And besides, his descendants would be Solos, bringing the real world into this the name just isn't as important as Skywalker. Saving Ben saves the bloodline but not the name.

I'm sure if Disney ever regret their choice they'll create another Skywalker. Maybe a previously unknown descendant (you could have someone like Cade being an illegitimate descendant from Luke) or just another virgin birth/child of prophecy that is given the name. But I'm pretty sure anything like that is a long way in the future. Heck, if they wanted to salvage the name they could even say those inspired by Luke's legend take up the name, not necessarily replacing Jedi but becoming another group or a faction within whatever new Jedi Order is established. Not saying any if these ideas are good, just that Disney have options (and far more creative people than me!)

11. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Ben Solo will return from the Dark Side, but he won't become a Jedi again at Rey's side - he will go to Ahch-To instead to die in exile like Luke (maybe seeking Luke's spirit), full of remorse for all the horrible things he had done, and hopeful that the Galaxy will be a better place from now on.

I think that would be the only satisfying finale for me.

12. Lance Toris

Lance Toris Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    I have a feeling - NO. I think Rey could still possibly be a twin of Kylo (which also strongly enforces TLJ scenes between the two). It's also possible Kylo redeems and is the last of the Skywalker bloodline.

13. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003

That thought is not bad. Everybody is expecting Kylo's death +/- redemption, which is too easy and is a replay of ROTJ. A remorseful Kylo exiled to Ahch-To ends the Skywalker tale, but leaves the door open.

However, I do not think Disney will do that. I think they want to end the Skywalker saga, so that it does not overshadow or burden the new trilogy. As long as the Skywalkers exist people will want to know what is going on with them. So, they have to end the line, otherwise Rian Johnson will have to address the issue in the new trilogy due to fan clamoring and speculation.

14. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Rey is still going to turn out to be a Skywalker.

The RJT is a completely different story that could be in a completely different part of the galactic timeline. The Skywalker name won't have to come up AT ALL in the RJT.

RKR likes this.
  15. HispAnakin

HispAnakin Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 16, 2017
    I feel like I awoke in a bizarre world... I wonder if Di$ney is going to do this with Marvel, most the actors are at least older than me (40)-except a few, some into their 50's...we know that many, many, heroes 'die' in Infinity War... I wonder how they are going to handle recasting all those Heroes...
    Will the current new Star Wars actors will have the same following as the OT Big 3? I personally don't think so because its tough to catch that lightning in a bottle like GL did back in 1977. WE simply have more to do now.... Driver I can see, Poe and Rose ..but I just felt that this film Rey as character, lines took a step back..

16. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003

I understand that. However, if the Skywalker line lives on, it is inevitable that people will want to see how it develops. There will be inevitable expectations for the New Trilogy to address the question.

Don't get me wrong, I would love the Skywalkers to continue. However, Rian Johnson's assassination of Luke's character, literally and figuratively suggests he does not want the Skywalker legacy hanging over him.

17. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Unless broom boy is a Skywalker... :cool:

18. Dominick1216

Dominick1216 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 23, 2013
    It the Skywalkers are all gone after IX (which most likely will be the case), it will definitely suck. In my opinion, I wouldn't mind seeing Rey take up the name Skywalker in honor of Luke or something. But the likelihood of that happening is very very low. This new trilogy is telling the audience and the fans that you don't need to be part of a particular family or have a shared bloodline to another character to be someone of importance.

19. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I see the question of if IX is the end of the Skywalker saga vs. if IX is the end of the Skywalkers as two separate questions.

I don't want them to end the Skywalkers. I want Ben Solo to come back in some way. Or for Kylo to do something to fix this mess he has created.

They can end the saga without killing all the Skywalkers if they want to end it.

In any case I really don't want the Skywalker saga to end with the death of the last Skywalker, especially on the side of evil in which Rey is forced to kill him.

20. IrisBest

IrisBest Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2015
    I've made my peace with it. I'm honestly expecting some kind of ending now where Rey kills Kylo, and by then he's accepted it like Darth Caedus did. Rey will probably somberly tell him "they're waiting for you" as he's dying and he goes out peacefully and reunites with his family in the Force (which imo is what Luke meant by "no one's ever really gone").

Ren Kylo likes this.
  21. FarEasterling

FarEasterling Jedi Master star 1

Aug 18, 2011
    All Skywalkers are GL doing; their bloodline ties the franchise to the soap opera thing, which as we all know it Disney wants to depart from at all costs. Yes, in the EU Legacy there were pretty nice characters of the royal family, but the EU is gone, and hopes of hardcore fans after TFA to revive the EU Legacy via the Reylo project seemed childish. Instead, in TLJ Rian Johnson delivered us some royal family members from the real world, together with a group of talented performers from the artistic orbit. They want to raise the standard, it will inevitably cut off a lot of amateur stuff (still cannot understand why so many fanfiction makers hated GL, he was much closer to them in terms of quality of the material produced). C'mon, guys, the Unknown Regions which home the dark side source await a new type of explorers - humble nobodies.

22. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    Rey and Ben will have an offspring. They wouldn't have spent the last two films setting them up if it wasn't going anywhere dramatic like the space opera it is. SW fans always seem to forget that a space opera is just a sci-fantasy version of a soap opera, complete with long-lost relatives and mythological/fairy tale-like romances. Only the most blinded didn't notice what was going on with the bridal carry, sexually-charged interrogation and fight. TLJ just made them look like fools for not seeing the obvious. This forum currently has egg on its face for banning all discussion of it as a possibility, nay blatant foreshadowing.

There will be another Solo. I'm almost certain of it.

The name itself is almost too good to pass up with the message regarding Rey's completely unremarkable, disappointing parentage about how everyone can be special and important, even if they've got a completely non-special background without any of the supposed necessary pedigree of a royal tree.

Who was that character in the OT? Oh, yeah. It was Han Solo. He outright mocked the Force and the hokey, ancient Jedi when introduced. There was never anything mystical about him, he didn't continue as a galactic leader embracing the hero label (he went back to smuggling), despite being surrounded by larger-than-life figures. Harrison's stated reasons for wanting Han killed off in ESB/RotJ often ran along the lines of him having no mama, no papa and no destiny--that he was unimportant unlike Luke.

Rey and Ben's own last name are both reminders that even the special people sometimes come from completely underwhelming or unlikely backgrounds. Anakin, himself, was a slave on Tatooine, despite his biblical fatherless birth background. When we met Luke, he was a farm boy. Leia may have grown up with all the traditional royal status, importance and fame, but it was a total lie. This is a reminder the Skywalkers and Solos weren't always perceived as a special elite in-universe.

The fact that the continuing name of the great Skywalkers is the name of the Forceless Solo works in its favor of being passed down. There's still that Skywalker blood, but it's not from the mighty Luke and it's not in Anakin's own name.

Ben seems very aware that he's put himself into a corner as the last who can continue the legacy and creating himself into what most would perceive as an unlovable monster. He's been utterly enthralled with Rey. Ben fears being alone forever. He feels betrayed by Luke and now Snoke. He doesn't especially even seem to care at all for the Empire remnants he's on the side of, while also remaining entirely disillusioned with the supposed perfect heroism that Luke Skywalker was emblematic of and thus turned into yet another remnant of the ancient, dusty, corrupt legacy of the failed Jedi Order. He's at the point of wanting to tear both sides down. But he seems aware that the legacy and power running through his family ends with him if he can't find someone to love him. Rey might be a complete nobody, but she keeps matching him, nay kicking his butt repeatedly. Between her own severe abandonment issues, Ben connects with her even beyond wanting someone he sees as worthy. The fact that she is such an utter nobody except for her inexplicably equal powers perhaps makes her even more attractive to Ben for reasons of tearing down the old order and losing all faith in the supposed heroes and villains alike. His disillusionment now with both sides and Rey's rejection of joining him where he is now is the seed to Ben making his next decision. Only he can save himself.

And because of Rey's own background of fighting just to survive, being completely untrained in tradition and having been abandoned, she doesn't quite have the same black and white views about what her own powers are supposed to be. Luke was terrified of her affinity for the Dark Side and even compares it to what he saw in Ben. She's certainly towards the good side and wants to redeem Ben (I don't think she's given up as much as thought, it's just that Ben has to make the next move), but she has a lot of gray in her with no preconceived notions about what a Jedi can/should and can't/shouldn't do. The idea that the Jedi should limit themselves to only certain emotions, do only the purest of actions and lead a celibate life (the rule that led to Anakin's own downfall) are things she knows nothing about. Rey repeatedly learns by stumbling upon and copying, not by studying. She's repeatedly not playing the rules and becoming a Jedi or a hero the traditionally correct and expected ways.

SkywalkerOG and nonesuch like this.
  23. FarEasterling

Aug 18, 2011
    I fully understand why so many people frantically feed this limping forum (from a technical point of view) with walls of text of frightening length. Too much is at stake. Unfortunately, nothing can be done. Kylo made an attempt on his first teacher life and killed all other fellows who disapproved. He killed his second teacher out of the blue, killed his father, wanted to kill his mother and didn't prevent his subordinates from doing so (Leia survived but should not), he liked a girl, she declined him, he wants her dead. Read this again. Kylo is no-go, he was created as such.

24. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    If Rey stays "random" then absolutely yes. It was intended that way.

BUT there needs to be purpose and reason for the other 6 movies than to just end the family line.

Dory Vader likes this.
  25. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015

JJS movie is supposed to tie everything together.

26. FarEasterling

Aug 18, 2011

Star Wars reimagined, like Battlestar Galactica reimagined. They blamed BS 1978 as cheesy compared to BS 2004. Perception changes, and every generation must have its own version of Battlestar Galactica. Lucas's failure to sell CGI-improved versions of original movies favors this decision. For showbiz this is reason enough. Skywalkers will be steam-rolled for the sake of variety.