main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Will people still read the old EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Jun 17, 2019.

1. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Yeah, though the setting she’s playing in will restrict some of what she could adapt to screen. But I wouldn’t be surprised if Exar Kun or Naga Sadow got namedropped or cameo’d in some capacity.

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean if any show is a way to bring back some good old fashion ancient Sith Lore from Legends it will be this show.

3. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    There's also whatever that
    Tales of the Jedi
    project is...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

That too.

5. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I suppose it’s possible, with the advances in home video and other forms of decentralized media technology-there could be “unauthorized” legends adaptations in an animated style.

There might be a small core of legends fans that remain, well past a decade from now, but eventually that will fade unless somehow legends works get some other form of adaptation and exposure(even say a fan made Thrawn trilogy), which could change things. But the current trend is clear.

Xammer likes this.
  6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I doubt legends fandom ever goes away. The internet keeps ANYTHING alive, it will be very niche and small. But it will be alive.

7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Eh…there are dead fandoms. Or mostly dead fandoms. The Inheritance Cycle for example, no longer has an active fandom.

Xammer and AusStig like this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I imagine... no, eventually.

Fundamentally I've concluded continuity is a generational thing.

You can't expect a 16 year old to respect a source from 1991.

That being said I shall hold onto One Canon until I die.

So.

Generational.

Jedimarine, QuinlanSolo and Golbolco like this.
  9. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I consider my original print Expanded Universe hardcovers to be some of my most precious treasures. It's taken me years to assemble my collection, a collection without a single book bearing the "Legends" banner that all the reprints bear. I hope with the reprints, Legends will continue to be popular. For me, I consider the Expanded Universe to be the original tale of what happened after Return of the Jedi, before the Phantom Menace and all the years in between.

The new, rebooted Star Wars is a parallel universe to me. A second Star Wars universe where things went differently in several key areas.

@Sinrebirth I have sadly abandoned the concept of the One Canon to which I once subscribed. To me, the GFFA feels far richer to me if there's two parallel universes, where we can see the same character take two very different paths. Reality is like a river that splits off into many parallel tributaries.

Take Boba Fett, for instance.

I see Legends Fett and Disney Fett as the same core character whose path has split in two different directions, each as legitimate as the other. That is my viewpoint and it's taken me several years to reach it.

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So if we lump the whole Disney Era as one thing then a whole Generation will pass in the year 2037. I decided to go with the idea 25 years is a generation ;)

It was easier for me since I am pretty much used to reboots and multiverses versions of things being a thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2022
    Vialco likes this.
  11. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I was never a fan of the multiverse concept. But the newest Spider-Man film finally won me over.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

It’s less multiverse and more the idea every story told with the same set of characters must all take place in a singular sacred timeline was honestly something that most other franchises don’t do regularly.

13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@Sinrebirth

Also to go back to what you said a few pages ago, you've been around since 2004, i'm sure you seen the change of discourse over the years as fans have come in and out of these threads alone.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2022
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Once upon a time Sinny was a new poster.

Xammer, Sinrebirth and Vialco like this.
  15. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Technology becoming more conveniently available has its pros as well as it's cons. Back in the day you had to sit down at an actual computer to take part in a community like this. Requiring that amount of additional effort would by default make some less interested in participating.

Vialco likes this.
  16. srd5090

srd5090 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2012
    Its funny thinking about the generational divide that could, in theory, limit interest.

But then, I am passionately in love with movies that came out decades before I was born.

On other forums, every single day, there are threads and threads of newcomers asking where to start with the original EU. They come because of curiosity, they come because of dislike of the mismanaged and poorly executed ST, they come for good stories.

The EU interest lives on.

17. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Lol, advise them not to read anything past NJO then. The post NJO had a very similar reception amongst readers as the ST did.

18. srd5090

srd5090 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2012
    There are folks who like post-NJO just the same as there are people who like DisCanon.

Golbolco likes this.
  19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I would be genuinely curious to know if there is a bit of a generational divide between people who came into the EU post NJO and like/dislike it.

Time normalizes things and I feel like anyone coming into it now just kinda knows Jacen Solo became a Sith Lord and are sorta expecting it instead of the big suprsie/betryal/story point.

20. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    I don't know if it was a generational thing but more along the lines of what kinds of stories people were willing to accept/not willing to accept.

The post NJO got a lot weirder then the stuff previously. The one thing though I noticed about the EU and which characters people latched onto the most is that many of the more popular characters (aside from the movie characters and those who were directly intertwined with the movie characters) had their start in video games.

AusStig likes this.
  21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

IDK time normalizes thing and generations growing up with those weirdos stories around all their lives are far more likely to be accepting of them than this directly experiencing those things fo the fist time.

22. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    I think you're underestimating the power of good stories.
    Take Star Trek for example. Deep Space 9 is 21+ years concluded and people, to this day, still treat it (alongside TNG) with the upmost respect, arguably moreso than modern shows like Star Trek: Discovery or Picard. The SW EU has likewise has plenty of excellent stories, and those who grew up with the Prequels are primarily familiar with the EU (often through the Old Republic games or TCW material). That generation will be around for another 30 years at least. I don't see the reverence for the EU/Legends atrophying with time, quite the opposite in fact.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    Jedi Ben and srd5090 like this.
  23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Well see that is a major difference. You can watch DS9 and TNG on Netflix(though Voyager and Enteprise require a paramount subscription). You can’t just turn on the TV to show an adaptation of the Thrawn trilogy or the NJO.

Being books, the EU is a lot more inaccessible. You have to really want to get into it, and put in a lot more effort.

Gerak and AusStig like this.
  24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

And Force help yuh if you wanna get into things that never get re-published .

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Discovery I didn't mind much across seasons 1-2, then it went over the edge in season 3...

I have seen - and see the merit to - the argument that the Denningverse works far better without having read NJO. It might be suggested that the ST works similarly with the OT.

The problem for both, as stories in a shared universe, is if a story has to rely on previous major ones being ignored in order to work, then does it work ar all?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    AusStig likes this.