main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Will people still read the old EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    The Thrawn trilogy is better than the Disney sequel trilogy so yes

2. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    absolutely

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    More eager than ever for EU stories.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'll stop reading my Brian Daley Han Solo books when you pry them from my cold dead hands.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Currently re-reading Darth Plagueis.

Dannik Jerriko and PCCViking like this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    THIS! [face_love] Mara Jade for the win!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Slater, fett 4, Darth-Seldon and 2 others like this.
  7. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    It would be a shame if new generations of fandom were never introduced to the great stories and characters in the old EU. But I really don’t think that will happen, as their curiosity will get the better of them. I think that more recent fans with an interest in Star Wars novels and comics will take the time to learn the difference between the old EU and the new canon. The old EU has a lot to offer and it’s sheer scale and diversity will make it very hard to resist. I’m reading through The Old Republic just now, so I’m certainly not done with the old EU.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  8. May The Force Be With Stu

May The Force Be With Stu Jedi Padawan star 1

May 9, 2019
    Funnily enough, fairly recently I downloaded the first Timothy Zahn trilogy to my Kindle with a view to re-reading it. I was telling my daughter about it and explained to her about how it differs canon wise to the Disney movies... and she was VERY interested.

As long as there are kids like her around, the EU will never die.

9. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    It'd be interesting to give her Dark Empire and see if she likes it or Rise of Skywalker better.

PCCViking likes this.
  10. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Having never read Dark Empire, I don't know if I would like it better than TROS.

11. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    PCCViking likes this.
  12. GoingInside

GoingInside Jedi Master star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    I hope so.

13. May The Force Be With Stu

May 9, 2019
    I got the entire trilogy for something like £17. I want to re-read the Zahn books, then the Dark Empire comics, and then re-read the Jedi Academy books.

14. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    I sure will still be reading the old EU novels I think they are better written, but that's just my opinion.

EviL_eLF and Tython Awakening like this.
  15. May The Force Be With Stu

May 9, 2019
    I don't know why I didn't carry on with them really. I read the original Zahn trilogy, the Anderson trilogy and Shadows but that's pretty much it (save for the novelisations of the OT). Need to sort that out.

16. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Legends novels are in many cases still outselling Disney’s EU, so yes people will still read it. I’m listening to Darth Bane novel on Audible right now. It’s so good, probably one of my favorites. I have no idea why I waited so long to read Legends.

17. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    One of my friends with only cursory knowledge of the EU actually asked me for Star Wars book recommendations the other day. I sold Shatterpoint pretty hard, but we eventually settled on Kenobi (also great.) sounding more interesting to him. He’s got the book, and I’m eagerly awaiting his thoughts on it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Darth-Seldon and Riv_Shiel like this.
  18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'd also recommend the film novels - RoTS is particularly good. The first two ST novels are good as well. (TROS isn't out til March).

PCCViking likes this.
  19. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Im always genuinely curious to know where people get their information like that.

20. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Like what? Book sales? I’m just going by Amazon best sellers.

21. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    I'd advise against drawing too many conclusions from those rankings and lists. They are not purely based on "Book A sold more than Book B". There's a variety of other factors that impact the rankings that are not related to actual sales. Same reason why comparing one book as a New York Times Besteller vs one that isn't is also a flawed metric. (though I will concede that Amazon has an outsized effect on the overall sales track of books)

22. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Oh sure. It doesn't need to be foolproof or exact to be not totally ignored or disregarded. It certainly points against the idea that people are just done with Legends.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  23. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Let's agree to disagree on The Force Awakens novelization. But yes, the ROTS novelization is probably the best of the novelizations.

24. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I know I commented on this before, but I just want to give an update. I finished the Darth Bane trilogy, so yes, I do believe that people will still be reading the old EU as well as the current canon.

PCCViking and Jedi Knight88 like this.
  25. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I'm reading JvS:TEGTTF to my 8 year old. Explaining to him that there are 2 different Star Wars timelines and that they differ with, specifically, the number of Solo kids. Should be interesting.

My 13 year old read Shadows of Mindor recently.

IG: @jedisufism

Nom von Anor and PCCViking like this.