main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Will people still read the old EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Jun 17, 2019.

1. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    They also need unabridged audiobooks.

Really Del Rey needs to do some work with NJO.

Slater, Force Smuggler and AusStig like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It really doesn't. Vector Prime is where NJO starts.
    It appears you'll be getting those?

AusStig likes this.
  3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

True but I here one doesn’t get the full experience really without going through the Bantam Era

you don’t need it to get it but it’s rewarding when you do

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not convinced NJO is boosted by knowing its preceding stories. Certainly not in the sense of needing it for NJO's story. If anything, my experience was it hurt what NJO was aiming for - six years felt like too short a span of peace for what was wanted.

Does knowing Fey'lya for the scumbag politician in TTT / HoT give it a boost? Maybe a little but VP already presents him as.... a scumbag politician.

Outside of the story, there's the practical aspect that "you must read 20 books before reading this one" can really backfire!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    AusStig and Golbolco like this.
  5. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Not specifically NJO, no. There’s hasn’t been any word on whether NJO is going to be part of the Essential Collection.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, I see. Yeah, on that front I understand the scepticism, as there's the 19 books plus the eBooks.

7. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    This might be a discussion for a different thread, but how would the Yuuzhan Vong appearing in TCW have affected the legacy of NJO?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well a lot of it sorta depends on the question of do things that are famous for being in books make people look up those books.

Now to be fair they have done a fair job of always marketing TTT whenever Thrawn makes a big on screen appearance. However I don't see a Vong appearance on TCW co-insiding with a big NJO push.

9. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    At the time when it was conceived and when it would have aired before production changed, as in, pre-Disney, it probably wouldn’t have spurned a reprint or anything like that.

Had the arc shown up in Season 7 on Disney +? I’m fairly confident we’d be seeing Vector Prime with a brand new cover, audiobook, Ebook etc

AusStig likes this.
  10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Fair enough seems like these days when there are more direct Legends tie-in's they tend to at least promote it a bit more.

Exception being Legacy of the Force (Evil Solo Child) and Dark Empire (Palpatine Clone) although maybe it would have be a more direct thread like Rogue Squadron or Revan.

11. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    NJO is a soft reboot anyway. Like the ST, do you need to know anything before the books? Not really, it might add to it but not a lot. If you kinda know who the people these people are then you will be fine.

fett 4, Golbolco and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    In the case of the former, it was too close to the start of the new era-TFA. Reprinting and trying to push Legacy of the Force wouldn’t have been good corporate synergy, it’d have just muddied the waters when they were trying to create a fresh start.

With TROS...I don’t know. Could be any number of things given the production. Maybe because Dark Empire was a comic instead of a novel, maybe because JJ Abrams wanted to keep as much of that film secret as possible that it influenced marketing and tie-in materials.

13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I'll be curious to see what happens when KOTOR elements start coming back into Canon. I mean techinally Revan is a thing by name but if they ever want use Revan in a big way again (Which i think is a big possibly) i'll be curious to see what they do.

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Sorry for the DP but I can't edit but.

I do wonder what a reader would think to go from Return of the Jedi to NJO. I mean I know I was confused reading Jedi Academy Trilogy one time ...granted I was one of those kids who didn't understand timelines and that this was post ROTJ so that was me.

Like how confused would they be.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2021
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    NJO's opening spiel as it were is pretty much that the Empire is defeated, the Republic and Jedi restored - thst's it, which is what RotJ practically sets up - the SE version even more so.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    AusStig likes this.
  16. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I just began rereading the Empire series by Dark Horse. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed these back then. I last read issue 23, the BoShek one. It really put a big smile on my face.

cthugha, AusStig and Senpezeco like this.
  17. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    The way the Vong were going to be portrayed in TCW would have entirely contradicted the NJO. I don’t think it would have helped the NJO at all, if anything there would have been a lot of confusion if people did investigate it and found the Vong in the NJO to not jive at all with what they saw in TCW.

18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

See I don't know if people care about those contradictions though as much as you make them out to be. Or even would notice. I think folks are a lot more easy going on contradictions in a lot of ways.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The get out of jail free card likely would have been "it's 50 years later".

AusStig likes this.
  20. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Also "small offshoot of Vong". I mean they said that for the Vong in Vector Prime.

Well most things follow on, Han and Leia married, New Jedi, New Republic. Mara might seem odd to people, but otherwise it tracks.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  21. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    From what little we know of that arc, seems like it was designed so that the audience would get a little taste of the Vong without going too deeply into the lore that surrounds them.

I actually think it’d be more significant now, because you’d have that section of the fandom hyping them up and predicting what it’d mean for canon. People who are inclined to read SW books might be tempted to go back and see what all the fuss is about.

Slater and AusStig like this.
  22. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I wonder if that works for direct characters and not ideas.

Like if Kylo Ren appeared NOW and everything happened exactly as it did does that hype up a interest in Jacen Solo since you know "Fall to the Darkside Solo Kid" or are the separate enough as entities to not link the same things together.

Although I do remember during and pre TROS Dark Empire was at least in terms of fan reaction getting more mentions.

23. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    With Palpatine it’s the same character, he originated in the movies, but if you followed the EU even slightly you probably had some vague idea of him being resurrected via clones and all that. That’s the difference.

Ben Solo and Jacen Solo share broadly similar ideas, but there’s enough of a distinction that I don’t think people look at one character as an adaptation of the other.

And really, people are always going to be more excited when it’s something direct from Legends rather “yeah that’s kinda sorta like that book/comic/game from way back”.

Jid123Sheeve and AusStig like this.
  24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

True, true, a lot easier to market a character then a idea.

25. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    For myself I liked what they were attempting with the NJO. Where the execution fell down was that I just felt they made it to large and with to many authors. You could've chopped the books in half with just a few authors and it would've worked better imo.

That all said at the time of publishing I was disconcerted that they basically ignored all the set up by Zahn in Vision of the Future and was annoyed they chopped Stackpole Trilogy and turned it into just a Duology that really doesn't work. It feels like a chunk of the story is missing.

Golbolco and Jedi Ben like this.