main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Will people still read the old EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Outside of The Thrawn Trilogy and X-Wing I do hope more Bantam Era stuff gets re-released with audiobooks

2. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Black Fleet Crisis is the biggest one I personally would like to get.

AusStig likes this.
  3. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    How so regarding VotF? Just because the Yuuzhan Vong didn't have an established foothold in the UR? Because I don't think that is necessarily inconsistent with VotF. Or because the EotH don't play a significant role in the NJO? Or something else I'm not thinking of?

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I'd like Thrawn Duology only because it's sorta like the end of a era for Bantam and is the other major EU books that shakes thing up with the Empire and Republic making peace.

Also maybe Jedi Academy since well...Luke Jedi Academy in something.

fett 4 likes this.
  5. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Jedi Academy is essential, since it sets up the rest of the EU, with Leia leading the NR and Luke founding his academy.

6. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Well, the Hand of Thrawn duology has unabridged audiobooks like TTT does, so they probably wouldn’t redo that side of it. But sure, they might reprint them with new covers.

And yeah, Jedi Academy Trilogy is probably something that needs to be refreshed. The abridged audiobooks were pretty damn choppy to listen to (like most Bantem/NJO stuff at the time).

7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Also I'd like the entire Calista Trilogy, only because I think products of their times should be viewed and made mainstream.

Oh and the Young Jedi Knights Books...Those are young reader they'd make a killing people like Young Reader stuff.

8. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I meant in that they came from another Galaxy rather the UR. The whole there are thousands of threats was open ended and could easily have been them

Jedi Ben and Riv_Shiel like this.
  9. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    I don't think it is meaningfully a contradiction (although I was as excited as anyone to explore the UR threats following VotF, and expected SW to go there next). Mara theorizes that the hundred threats that Stent thinks are terrifying are probably not significant to the NR (dangerous to your Chiss Ascendancy, Stent; not to this New Republic), but acknowledges that something out there convinced Fel to join up. My understanding is that Zahn knew the alien invasion was the next story, so he was setting up their story more than creating a thread for someone else to follow up on. I believe Zahn has also stated that his intention was for the human Imperials to mostly be concerned with one particular threat (what would become the Yuuzhan Vong). If the evidence of the Yuuzhan Vong is in the UR, that is really bringing the NJO in line with VotF (which is how they eventually worked the story). It certainly could have been a lot smoother (future authors missing that the Parck/Fel group was NOT part of the Chiss Ascendancy was a big one, not working the clone sleeper cells in a story is downright criminal, etc.), but I don't think it is radically a departure from VotF's setup.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Fel and Parck did hint at a major threat on the way:

“He brought me out here,” he said quietly. “Showed me what it was we faced, and what we’d have to do to stop it. Showed me that even with all the resources of the Empire and New Republic combined, and with himself at the head, there were no guarantees of victory.”

“On the contrary, he’d already made contingency plans for defeat,” Parck added soberly. “Ten years ago he had sleeper groups of the best of his cloned warriors scattered around the Empire and New Republic, ready to form the nuclei of local resistance forces should Bastion and Coruscant fall. Men who loved their homes and their land and their worlds, and who would give their lives in their defense.”

“Yes,” Fel said. “Once I understood - once I really understood - I had no choice but to join him.”

blackmyron, cthugha and Riv_Shiel like this.
  11. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I am finally getting though my backlog of novels, and I’m currently reading the wild space clone wars novel. 50% through not a bad novel I kinda feel Obi-Wan’s characterisation is a bit off but others wise I’m still enjoying it. Will probably go on to rouge planet next. So yes people are still reading the old EU.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    cthugha, Nom von Anor and AusStig like this.
  12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    You know, thinking about it, I am not sure the Vong ever had a real chance of winning. They could, and did, cause a lot of damage, but in the end they were were far too outnumbered - especially since their very different tech based meant they couldn't really use the infrastructure they captured effectively, and their ideology was too alien and inflexible to allow for local recruitment and integration, so their hold on the territory they captured was fairly tenuous for all but the most Vongformed worlds.

But in all fairness, I suppose that wasn't really set up ahead of time.

13. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    How did you feel about the other Clone Wars novels? I found them decent over all.

14. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I’ve only just finished the clone wars movie novel and that was good, glad they left out the filler stuff. I have no prisoners also so I’ll get tot that at some point.

AusStig likes this.
  15. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    The TCW movie, novel is good. Better than the film, and one of traviss best.

16. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Of course, there's still plenty of the old ones I haven't read yet.

AusStig likes this.
  17. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    If your still wondering about people still reading the old EU, just look at this:

Don't think there is much to worry about there.

cthugha, Jedi Ben and AusStig like this.
  18. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I do wish the Vong and the NJO would get more public exposure/a broader awareness and appreciation of them would emerge but the opportunity for that is gone.

Largely because Del Rey and Lucasfilm didn’t do anything with the Vong or that era for a decade and now it is too late.

Ironically, the denningverse never really entered into public consciousness either-people vaguely know about Jacen solo being an inspiration for Kylo Ren, but the major characters and plots-Abeloth, the Corellian rebellion, Killiks, even Jaina really-haven’t left the EU fan niche in terms of seeping into public consciousness.

AusStig likes this.
  19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean i really doubt the EU is going away anytime soon.

But as @Darth Invictus brings up, i do think certain parts of the EU aren't gonna be remembered by a wider audience as others.

And at this point I think the Mortis gods are going to go in a whole different direction then the one Denning wrote for them.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2021
  20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, that is interesting - we might get a Legacy omnibus with sales like that for the first Legends omnibus.

21. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I am still waiting on Legacy vol 2 to come out in epic collection.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Marvel are not above doing 14 issue Omnibus editions, but their selection process is pretty random. Epics are similar.

We might get Knight Errant in an Old Republic 2 Omnibus

23. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I think KE will be part of the next KOTOR epic collection, then Jedi vs Sith.

24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Have they done any Tales of the Jedi releases yet?

25. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Not yet but they are moving to it. Dawn of the jedi was collected and called "Tales of the jedi 1".

Daneira likes this.