main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will The Phantom Menace Always be More Often Reffered to as "Episode I" As Opposed to it's title?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by LottDodd, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I'm going to start calling it: Episode Eye

Attack of the Clones I will Call: Episode Eye-Eye

A New Hope will Be: Episode Eye-Vee (Or Episode Ivy... You're Choice)

2. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
  3. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    I generally call the movies...

Episode I
    Episode II
    A New Hope
    Empire
    Jedi

I use A New Hope cause calling it "Star Wars" tends to confuse people...they don't know which one you're talking about.

Of course, online it's TPM, AOTC, ANH, ESB, ROTJ.

4. Cal_Omas

Cal_Omas Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 17, 2003
    I don't say Episode I any more than I say Episode IV.

5. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Episode II's misspelled abbr. is easy to pronounce: AtoC :D

6. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    I Like Episode Ivy...

7. C-3P0

C-3P0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    The marketing of any movie usually becomes ingrained in the popular culture as the most common title.

Examples:

ID4 - The title is Independence Day.

Se7en - The title is Seven. I can't believe how many people refer to this one as the short hand.

8. Heavenly_Angel

Heavenly_Angel Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    well, i always call it episode 1. i think it's gotta a strange name, lol! :D

9. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    They all have strange names...

10. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    Sometimes I call it Episode I and sometimes I call it The Phantom Menace, and the same is true with AOTC. With the OT I almost never call it by the Episode number unless I'm talking to someone who doesn't know much about Star Wars and they want to which Episode number I'm talking about.

I think it mostly has to do with the way it was marketed. Back during the OT you never heard or saw that much about Episode numbers beside the opening crawl.

11. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    I usually call the prequels by their numbers. I guess because I refered to them as that for a long time (as in 15 years or so) before the real titles are released. I'm sure if Lucas said 15 years ago that he'll be doing a prequel trilogy and here are the titles, then I would be using the real titles. But since Jedi, we've only had numbers. People get used to them. Especially us older SW fans who've been fanatasizing about eps I-III and 7-9 since we where kids.

Plus the titles of the prequels suck. :D

12. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Yeah... We're all old now.

13. flyingillini

flyingillini Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2003
    TPM is the only one I usually hear(and call it myself) Episode 1. I hardly hear anyone call it The Phantom Menace. However, all of the other movies are called by their titles by me and people I know.

14. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I think the casual fans or non-fans will most likely refer to the PT by number. Episode 1, 2, etc.

When you look at posters and other literature from the OT, the episode numbers were rarely, if ever, printed with their corresponding film. You never saw "EPISODE V" on ESB stuff for example.

That's much different now, as a look at any of the posters will tell you. I think people are taking their cues from things like posters, etc. when committing to memory the name of a film.

15. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    So Do You thin the Episode Eye and Eye-Eye Phenomena is Lucasfilms doing...? It is their marketing and their posters after all... Maybe it is more important that you see the brand name STAR WARS, than think of these movies in individual terms...

16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    GL Title What I call it
    -------- --------------
    SW Ep 1 TPM Ep 1
    SW Ep 2 AOTC Ep 2

SW Ep 4 ANH Star Wars
    SW Ep 5 ESB Empire
    SW Ep 6 ROTJ Jedi

I use this amoung my friends who are fans and those who know I love Star Wars. When I say my lazy versions to non-fans, I saw the full GL title.

I can see myself maybe calling TPM - "Menace" instead of Ep 1, and maybe calling AOTC - "Clones" for short.

17. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Amoungst my fellow Star Wars fans we always call TPM The Phantom Menace, never Episode 1.

18. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    When I shorten it I always refer to it as "Phantom" instead of "Menace"... Interesting.

19. KfistoRox

KfistoRox Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2002
    Yes it will be called Episode I more than TPM, because that title doesn't make much sense. It's catchy, I'll give it that, but I am a pretty avid sw fan and don't really know what the title means.

Is the Phantom Menace Maul, Sidious, the sith, Nute Gunray and company or who?

20. KiAdiMonday

KiAdiMonday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2003
    Se7en - The title is Seven. I can't believe how many people refer to this one as the short hand.

How is Se7en shorthand for Seven? Same length hand maybe but not short.

21. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Qui Gon Jinn is the Phantom Menace... that much is certain.

22. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    I think people now want to think of the series as a united story, and thus want to refer to every Episode the same way. A friend of mine refers to the old films by Episode number now, simply because there's no other way to refer to Episode III. But once it has a title, I'm sure the titles will be used.

23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The other day my math teacher asked me what year it was when 'the first Star Wars movie' came out. I naturally revert to episode numbers and thought she meant TPM, but she was refering to ANH. However when I said 'Oh, you mean A New Hope' she didn't know what that was. And then in French I said I had watched 'Attack of the Clones' over the weekend, and my teacher asked what that was about [face_plain] Everyone laughed at her. She didn't realise it was SW and her nephew worked on AOTC for ILM! [face_laugh]

I tend to refer to them by their letter abreviations, ie. "T-P-M", which can greatly confuse people :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    It is Lucasfilm's fault they are refered to by their number (whether that is good or bad is up to you to decide) All the Advertisments... and the logo itself, displayed Star Wars: Episode I more than The Phantom Menace.... I understand that, but why did they continue to do it with Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones?

25. EnJee

EnJee Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2004
    LottDodd, I refer to the OT by name and the PT by number, but I suppose it's a habit that will fade in time.

Jedi_Learner, I refer to all the Trek films by name. I call #8 First Contact, #4 The Voyage Home and despite the tongue-twister I call #6 The Undiscovered Country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.