main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Will the Sequel Trilogy fit in with the Ring Theory?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DBPirate, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I don't really know WTF this ring theory is, but the ST is the inverse of the PT. They mesh quite well, with the OT be building block and foundation in the middle.

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Having seen the finished product, I must disagree with my past self. The sequel trilogy does not fit with the ring composition of the Lucas saga.

StarYogi likes this.
  3. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    It does not.

It does not parallel, it repeats in ways that the PT never did, except it defeats the purpose of the Skywalker family’s story.

darkspine10 likes this.
  4. Rebel on Toprawa

Rebel on Toprawa Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2020
    The sequel trilogy fits more into Spaceballs than it does the ring theory. As a matter of fact I'd rather watch Spaceballs 3 mind-numbing times in a row than episodes 7, 8 or 9.

5. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    I am looking for ways to integrate the ST so it can fit comfortably in my headcanon. To me there are such good things in it, and I want a third trilogy and I don't want to dismiss it. But there are challenges, and I have some real problems with this third trilogy. How to resolve them? That is my question. It doesn't ahve to be as good as the previous two trilogies. It only has to be "good enough." But I am not sure. Parallels and connections between 1-3 and 7-8 are a big part of what helps me integrate them. However when I'm done, I might decide to bump 7-9 down into my personal status of deutero-canon or optional canon, or "excellent fan fiction." But I don't think it's that bad yet. I'm thinking it's a slightly inaccurate version of things that really did happen in the GFFA. When my fan analysis is complete I hope I can integrate these films.

The link between Anakin and both Ben Solo and Rey makes it interesting, as well as parallels between Rey and Padme, and Rey and Luke. Rey's heritage is a twist that worked for me. She used Palpatine's signature lightsaber move three times in her battle with Kylo Ren, and her music echoes his, so I don't think her identity at the end of the trilogy is "from nowhere." They kept the way open to do this, even if they also considered chickening out.

6. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    Here's a new parallel I noticed. It's been a few days so hopefully this will not offend as a "double post." Ben Solo enters the villain's lair without a lightsaber which parallels Luke at the beginning of Episode Six.

7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Absolutely not, because it's not part of the George Lucas saga.