main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will this crap never end?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Askaak, Feb 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    As opposed to the person who moderates* an anarchy board which receives information gained by the invasion of privacy?

People in glass houses, tc.......

(* term used extremely loosely)

2. Crimson

Crimson Jedi Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    DarthAttorney, as a mod, you should know very well, that moderators do not make the rules, they just enforce them...as was the case with Ternian. He was enforcing the non-rules, if you will.

3. Grand Moff Joker

Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1999
    I was just pointed to this thread and have since read the whole thing.

Bottom line - This is absolutely pathetic. As PadmeBra pointed out several pages ago... I think a lot of you need to remember that this is a messageboard to discuss Star Wars. This is a fan website, for criminy sake. There's nothing worse than people taking something inherently simple - and themselves - too seriously.

My thoughts about this mirror my attitude about other online opinions... If you don't like it, leave. If people don't like Star Wars, don't visit Star Wars websites and spend countless hours bashing it across the interent. Likewise, if you don't like TF.N and/or their Forums, then leave. Nobody makes you visit TF.N... and if you don't like it, why continue to support it with patronage?

There are plenty of other Star Wars websites and message boards on the internet to keep fans occupied for the next few years leading up to and through Episode 3. If TF.N loses visitors, then they'll be forced to change... or maybe they'll just go under and disappear (although I don't see that happening). But the bottom line is that it isn't our place to try to run things. Like Star Wars is Lucas's baby, TF.N is the baby of Josh and Scott and the others who founded and run it. It's not our place to tell Lucas how to make a Star Wars movie... and it's not our place to tell TF.N how to manage their site. We may not like the way they run it... and if you don't, just leave. That's the simplest solution.

Like it or leave it, I say. This bickering is pointless.

4. Tai-Zec

Tai-Zec Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2000
    The following is the official stance of Episode-X.com administration on this issue, and our solution. A copy of this has been posted at the X-Boards, another copy has been sent to "darthpsychotic":

As most of you know, there has been a very big mess these past days, and it's still continueing on.
    Starting with the demotion of Silmarillon, the banning of Ternian and BobTheGoon at the JC, the leaking of private information and posts by members of the Jedi Council, the message boards of TheForce.Net, posted by darthpsychotic (as "darthy" ) at the Anarchy Board at the X-Boards, the message boards of Episode-X.com, over to the questioning of Episode-X.com administrator's and moderator's integrity and the morals and values of the Anarchy Board.
    Episode-X.com administrator's and moderator's have been accused of co-conspiring with darthpsychotic in his alleged hacking of private information of members of the Jedi Council, the message boards of TheForce.Net, for not removing the posts in question of darthpsychotic.
    Yet darthpsychotic has broken no rule of the X-Boards by posting said material in the Anarchy Forum of the X-Boards. Administrators of the X-Boards, Tai-Zec, GunsBlazing and Nightmare, are the only individuals with power over the Anarchy Forum. Yet they have each of them given their word not to censor, edit or remove any posts in the Anarchy Forum, nor hold any individuals accountable for offensive or vulgar things posted inside said forum. The three mentioned X-Boards administrators believe in integrity and are not prepared to break their word. Nothing in the Anarchy Board shall be censored, edited or removed by said administrators.
    The entire Episode-X.com staff however does wish to mend this situation as best we can within our own borders.

Therefore I, Tai-Zec, webmaster and spokesperson of Episode-X.com, in the name of the entire staff of Episode-X.com offer the following:

We are sending a full copy of this message to darthpsychotic via a private message at the X-Boards. We will ask her/him to be the judge in this situation, and if said individual reaches the judgement that she/he is acting unfair and causing other indivuduals unnecessary hurt, she/he shall, by her/his own free will, remove her/his posts in question and refrain from posting any such material at the X-Boards in the future. Yet since we ask darthpsychotic to judge the situation with his own free will, he is entitled by X-Boards administration to leave his posts in question up.

The Episode-X.com administration believes this is to be a fair solution.

Tai-Zec
    Administrator of http://www.episode-x.com

5. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    Well, that's about the biggest cop-out I've seen.

The three mentioned X-Boards administrators believe in integrity and are not prepared to break their word.

But they'll allow posting of private information whose removal has been requested. That's integrity?

6. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    As previously discussed many times, Crimson.....toochilled is not a mod but one of three admins at Ep-X with the power to not only edit posts but set policy.

You are talking about chalk and cheese here, friend.

7. Pyrus

Pyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    Mmmmm... chalk.

8. Katriel

Katriel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2000
    Once upon a time a movie was made that entranced us all. 25 years later we love it just as much and spend time discussing it and anticipating more movies. But at the end of the day its still just a movie.

I can't decide if this thread makes me laugh or makes me cry.

Who cares what other sites or boards do? The simple fact is that the JC is being hacked and measures are being taken to find out who is doing it. Its unfortunate that its affecting certain persons (namely Sil) but so be it if that's what is necessary to get to the source.

I highly suggest that some of you shutdown your PC, get your ass out of your chair, open the front door, and take a deep breath. There really is a whole other world out there. Some of you need to rediscover it.

9. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    There's this big bright yellow ball in the sky.

10. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    It's quite warm. I am feeling it now.

toochilled- I challenge you to find anything that proves that I am an dishonest, immoral man.

11. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    I don't know you well enough to judge your honesty or morals, but your answers to some of the posts above smack of a lack of tact and positive leadership.

12. Crimson

Crimson Jedi Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    DarthAttorney, i apologize, you misunderstood, I was referring to Ternian, and only Ternian. He has no say in policy making there.

13. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Nabooty_Call- Tact and patience is all relative, where immoral actions like hacking [which is what toochilled is trying to hint at] are caused by a constant inability to know what the difference between right and wrong.

14. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    No, PB, tact and patience are not completely relative; they are two skills intrinsically linked with interpersonal relations, therefore there are standards that come about to help guide such interactions.

Holding oneself to higher standards of tact and patience can often prevent and/or defuse hostile situations.

The perception of being short-sighted and callous is part of what has led to this current situation, imo.

We all have aspects of ourselves that could stand improvement. Perhaps this is one of yours.

15. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Agreed. Although one of my better traits is realizing when it is not appropriate to waste time in buttering things up for everyone. I may come off as highly rude, but if I ran into you in the Community, I wouldn't act the same. On the contrary, I've been known to get along quite well with so-called "enemies" online.

16. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    `I may come off as highly rude'

[ :D ] Oh we wouldn't say that.[/ ;) ]

17. tobi1kenobisss

tobi1kenobisss Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2001
    preacher boy: that was just stupid to say. All people are immoral in one way or another. I think you need to reword that.

I don't understand why this is so hard to understand. Tai, Guns, and Nightmare are the only 3 people who can edit posts in the Anarchy forum. If you guys quit coming there you will never know that he is posting it.

Plus the information he is hacking is not important. I have read It ALL. I have not seen anything that should make you guys act the way you are. I think you all forget this is the internet, yes I said INTERNET. You need girlfriends/boyfriends, b/c I think they would help you out. Just my opinion.

Plus if they would tell you how DP is getting the information there are more people and other ways to get into this level one security board. I think our little brothers with a little experience with html could get into the great modsquad

18. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    Well, PB, there's a difference between "buttering things up" and providing a positive example for others when you're in a leadership position.

On the council I'm a part of in rl, rude or callous behavior from a leader would not be tolerated. If you're in such a position, you're a public representative of the group. Other existing and potential members' opinions and attitudes about how to act and how the group is perceived are directly related to your behavior.

The person in question in the group I'm a part of would either work on fixing their behavior or they would not be in a leadership position any more, regardless of technical ability. It's a simple matter of professionalism.

It's difficult for me to understand why the same types of attitudes and conflicts are continually progagated on these boards, other than the fact that most of the "chiefs" are fairly young and therefore new to leadership roles, and bound to make mistakes.

Something similar to the current situation happened about a year ago here at the JC, but evidently not everyone has learned from those experiences.

Please, if you don't have ideas on how to positively build a group or resolve conflicts, then imo you should hold back, keep the old ego in check, and let those who do have the organizational ability get it done.

19. Jole

Jole Jedi Master star 3

Dec 12, 1998
    I just have a couple things to say and then I'll go back to what I do best, lurking.

I can understand TFN's concern with the hacking. They put a lot of time and effort into this board. Right now it's just revealing conversations in a supposedly secure forum, but I think the really threat is what else could happen. I know I wouldn't want to sign on one day to have to rebuild everything or even re-install back ups because someone trying to impress a bunch of people online with their hacker talent.

On the other hand it seems the reason why the mod forum is being revealed by this person is because they want something done about the modsquad's attitude. I'm sure there are other things in there, but yet all the hacker shows is the unprofessional comments that were made. He thinks getting the TFN membership stirred up about how the mods act will get him this change. What he fails to notice is, and what Preacherboy has already pointed out from example, the membership of TFN know all this from everyday dealings with mods anyway. There is really no big surprise with what was shown.

Everyone is human. After dealing with a particularly difficult member who keeps coming back and doing the same things he was told not to for the tenth time, I can see where a person (mod) would need to let off some steam.

I'll now go back into my own happy-happy world.

20. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    I haven't read the entire thread and I don't claim to be an expert on anything that's happened lately, and some of what I have to say is probably irrelevent by now, but I will add this:

PreacherBoy, your attitude towards some of these members is unacceptable. Listen to Nabooty_Call, okay? We will discuss your fate when this mess has settled down. However, if you persist in insulting and patronizing other members (regardless of what they've done), I will be forced to take more immediate action.

Also, please bear in mind that all bans can be undone. However, if someone "loses their head", so to speak, in this confusion, it's entirely possible that they will hurt their chances of clearing things up and getting themselves reinstated.

Also, I appreciate the cooperation of people from other forums and websites such as T'bone, toochilled, Raz Zaphon, etc. (apologies to those that I've missed). I hope that this incident will cause more respect, communication, and cooperation between sites.

Darth Dark Helmet, thanks for keeping a firm grasp on reality. You always seem to keep thing in perspective, and I've been constantly impressed by your level-headedness (is that a word? ;) ) in this forum. Keep up the good work! Now, I think I'll follow your advice and get some fresh air. :)

Thank you for your time. If any of you need further answers or favors, feel free to contact me. I'll answer them to the best of my ability. If you feel anyone has been unbanned unfairly, you may e-mail me as well, and I'll do my best to help you out.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to the calmer world of "Real Life". ;)

21. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    R..eal.. life?

Your words are familiar but the concept escapes me.

And don't be so harsh on PBoy, he's slowly turning into a penguin.

<reads through last page and a half>

<sigh> I had such big hopes too, where did your mothers go wrong?

22. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    They didn't feed us enough applesauce ;)

23. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

In the calm world of "real life" I don't think we publicly scold our subordinates in front of their peers, and certainly not in front of those with whom they still must "police.". I think it was bad taste to publicly call out PreacherBoy like that. Does he get out of hand? Sometimes, but I don't think you should've "warned" him of his impending "fate" right here in front of everyone.

Of course, common courtesy seems to have been lost on nearly everyone around here for a while.

AYBABTU?

24. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    True enough, but this is an ongoing problem and I want to make it clear that no one is above the rules.

25. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah I think Pboy is too harsh sometimes, but warning him in public was perhaps not the best way to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.