main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will this crap never end?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Askaak, Feb 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Cheers to Tai-Zec and the management at Ep-X for their help.

:)

2. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    That was a fun thread, as was the one it referred to. Lord Chewie was quite the...character. Funny the names that were appearing with annoyed statements even back then. Somethings never change, it seems.

[/musing]

3. Ariel_Sharon

Ariel_Sharon Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2002
    There are too many political thingies in this thread for even my tastes. Hoping there's a lock coming soon.

4. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    Gosh it sure would be nice if those of us who care about these boards could look and find out if everything is ok without wading through 600+ posts of pure spam.

Can I ask a few questions that I couldn't find answers too in this monster thread?
    Just in case the answer is yes I will post the questions anyway. :)

Is the security problem fixed?

Is there anything we can do as members to prevent this in the future?

Thanks! :)

5. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    so far as i can follow, the answer to both those questions is basically, no.

the hacking problem has happened before, and it sounds as if its pretty tough to stop.

and there really isnt anything we regular members can do. i'm not sure if there is much the admin can do. its more a matter of the hacker (Darth Psychotic, or Darthy at the Episode-X boards) just getting a life and leaving everyone alone.

6. Queen_Morci

Queen_Morci Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2000
    Yeah, I agree with Dagsy, it's basically a matter of time that this Darthy gets tired of this stupid crusade against TFN, and stops posting this crap wherever he is allowed... As a matter of fact, if you look in the E-X boards (and not very much) you can find links to the stolen threads...

But of course, he has removed the direct quotes of those threads :p

Besitos

7. Soggy-Ben Doggy

Soggy-Ben Doggy Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 9, 1999
    I think everyone should calm down, step back, and take close look at what's been posted.

In wading through this mess, what I see in bold print is a strong desire for TFN to control the behaviour of their users on other boards and even try to control the boards themselves. Now if this is the new policy, then I'm out of here. Before you know it, TFN will try to extend this control into our own homes and place of business.

Now maybe that's NOT what TFN has in mind, but it's definitely coming across to the average reader in those terms.

The first thought that hit my mind was: when I joined TFN, I don't recall giving them total control over my internet activities. In fact I do recall several incidences in the past where the members of TFN were told the TFN staff have absolutely no control over the behaviour of their admin/mods/members at other boards. Interesting how this policy has suddenly changed.

Now I don't pretend to know the whole story. The only thing I can base my opinion on, are comments contained within this thread. From what I understand this incident has to do with someone hacking into some private areas of TFN and embarassing the owners/admin/mods to no end. Rude and illegal -- yes, not to mention highly unethical.

However, for TFN to even consider trying to control what other boards and their users may or may not do, is also highly unethical. Banning users because they're associated with or post at certain boards -- unless they fess up all they know, is nothing more than threats and bribery. Not to mention the bad public PR.

Two wrongs don't make a right and as a result, this controversy will just keep going on, sinking deeper into the quagmire of everlasting stench.

Maybe the board in question will decide to work with you, but you haven't stopped the actual hacker/poster. All TFN has done, is given him/her more fuel for the fire. There are hundreds of thousands boards out there where he/she can post those messages and TFN can't possibly stop all of them.

To make it work -- TFN will have to find and deal with hacker directly.

8. anya Skywalker

anya Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2000
    Of course, you can always go to DP's house and offer to take him for a ride far away from a computer... That should solve the problem for a while. ;)

I just finished reading this, and am glad the main issue was solved.

9. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Dear g-d! Has it all stopped?

10. Crimson

Crimson Jedi Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Cheers Soggy!!! Simply put.

11. Buttbuttinate

Buttbuttinate Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2002
    Preacherboy, don`t you think your views are very puerile and ignorant ? Why resort to blatant insult ? Act like a child and you will get treated like a child.

12. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

Looks like someone was too lame to insult you like a man, PB. He had to make a sock to do it.

AYBABTU?

13. Crimson

Jan 18, 2002
    AYBABTU: Who are you to judge? [face_plain]

BTW, arent we supposed to be getting some sort of announcement, it would be nice.

14. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    The thread was left open in case there was an announcement. Whether there will be or not, and what it pertains to, remains to be seen.

15. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    I'd lock this thread, but I think there are still a few announcements to be made.

I do not know if there will be an announcement, but in case there is, I am not locking this thread, as it will probably be posted in here.

It was never stated that there would definitely be an announcement. The thread is merely being kept open in the event of one.

16. DarthKlown2

DarthKlown2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    All right AYBABTU since you are calling someone out on his "manliness" I will say something concerning PreacherBoy.

Arguing with him and reading his "posts" is....slightly amusing, but mostly painful.

Like someone said at another site, 90% of the JC's problems would go away if PreacherBoy would go away.

Patrick

17. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    If you don't have something to post about the situation, don't post in here. I'll the ban the next person who attacks a mod just because it seems in season.

Klown - I'm editing the crudity out of your wonderful humorous [face_plain] post.

18. DarthKlown2

DarthKlown2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    With all do respect Bane, I didn't attack a mod because it is in season. I merely followed the example SET by said mod in this thread.

And that line you edited was funny. Come on and admit it. The truth shall set you free.

Patrick

19. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    *patches up all the holes shot in PBoy by posters*

*tries to paint out the invisible bullseye on PBoy's chest that says "hit me"*

I do hope this storm has passed for the most part, and we can all get back to "RL" in the board again.

:D :D :D

20. Drama-del-Internet

Drama-del-Internet Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2002
    Hola, Amigos!

21. Cave_Troll

Cave_Troll Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2002
    //eats Drama-del-Internet

Okay. Now is this thing over?

22. Crimson

Jan 18, 2002
  23. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    So tired, tired of these drama
    No more, no more
    I wanna be free
    I'm so tired, so tired

~Mary J Blige, No More Drama

24. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    B'omarr...
    "For some reason, reading this thread makes me feel like I'm watching professional wrestling... 'He's distracted the ref, and his partner hit that guy with a chair!'"

You know, that's probably the most truthful/factual thing I've seen in this entire thread.

HLS...
    "Accomplishments...[/i]"
    While DP all seems to have worked out in the end, we still got to see Tai-zec perform what has to be the best punting of an issue in the history of mankind. Way to go, the Copout of the Year award goes to you and the admins over there. [face_plain]

25. Crimson

Jan 18, 2002
    That was counter-productive...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.