main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Wilson - The Diary of an Astromech Droid - Dear Diary Challenge - OCs, Talonverse - Updated 03/12

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Darth Muis, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Muis

Darth Muis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    Title: "Wilson" or "The Diary of an Astromech Droid"
    Author: Darth Muis
    Timeframe: Starting 6.5 ABY, shortly after the events of X-Wing Rogue: Squadron
    Characters: OC's R5-K324 a.k.a. Wilson, Dos and others
    Keywords: Droid-perspective, Squadfic, Talonverse
    Summary: The story of Dos, before he joins Talon Intelligence Squadron, told from the perspective of his astromech droid Wilson.
    Notes: For the Dear Diary Challenge 2009. This diary ties in with the books of Talon Intelligence Squadron. The character Dos was my original character in the first run of Talon Intelligence Squadron in 2000/2001. Currently we (a team of original writers and new talent) are revamping the original books. For more information check out our website! Futhermore I would like to thank Jag4Me for starting the first Talonverse diary and giving me the idea to try my hand at one as well. Thanks! And thanks to Trika for beta-ing!

PM-list:

Trika
    Jag
    Lilith
    Peri
    Snowy
    VaderLVR64

?Wilson? or ?The Diary of an Astromech Droid?

Date:

8 Galactic Standard Days after last memory wipe

Diagnostics Check:

Systems running at 99.9% efficiency
    Power level at 95.3%
    No defects

Days until mandatory service:

60 Galactic Standard Days

Log entry:

Today I was activated for the first time since my last memory wipe. I am an R5-series astromech droid in service of the New Republic. My designation is R5-K324, but my new master, Flight Officer Dos, Shi'ido male and Y-wing pilot in training, has decided to refer to me as Wilson. The explanation he offered me for choosing this name, is that it was the name of some kind of pet animal he had as a youngling of which he still has fond memories.

As I understand it I am to assist my new master as an in-flight assistant during flight training and eventually during missions. I have received the appropriate software packages and upgrades for this duty. I do not remember whether I have ever served in a similar capacity before.

My new master is a shapeshifter. From what I gather from an R2-unit with which I had communications today this is not a desirable trait. It seems sentients and droids harbor a dislike for his kind. I suspect they feel they're not able to trust my master completely due to his ability to change his appearance. I have not yet seen anything to have reasons to distrust my new master, but my fellow droid's suspicions are noted.

Tomorrow my master will fly a training mission in a Y-wing simulator and I will be assisting him. I have decided to shut down for the night in my new master's quarters and recharge my batteries so I can be at full power for my first assignment.

I plan on updating weekly, probably every wednesday. Any feedback is more than welcome! Thanks.

2. PienYeeve

PienYeeve Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2009
    A diary of a droid, that's quite the challenge. Love the first entry, well done! =D= If it turns out anything like your story about the little droid that could, I'll eat it up like hot pie!

3. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Muis, you are amazing. This first entry is full of promise both for the actual story writing and for Dos's future. Wilson's diary is going to be an excellent read... he's 100% droid, with the omnipresence essential to properly tell his master's tale. And Dos, well, I've always been fascinated by Dos... I'm a fan of the sweet shapeshifter. :cool:

Great work, and put me on a PM list! :)

Trikes

4. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I'm thrilled you are going to do this and I love Wilson already!=D=
    Please put me on your PM list or I'll have to stalk you too.:p

5. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    A droid diary! I love it. This should be a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

6. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    Heya Muis! Great work, I love the droid! I can't wait for more. Please keep me updated!

7. snowspeeder_gunner

snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Awww cool! A droid diary! I can't wait to read more, can I be on the PM list?

Keep up the great work!

8. Darth Muis

Mar 11, 2000
    PienYeeve: Thanks! [face_blush] And thanks for remembering that little fic. I'm still quite pleased with it.

Good Ol' Trikes: Thanks for the compliments! I must admit it's quite challenging to write a droid's diary, it's not to write him too human. Yet I also have to try not to write him too 'droidy' or it won't be interesting to read. It's also a lot of fun to be writing about Dos again. You're on the list!

Jag: Thanks! You're on the list, I wouldn't want you stalking me... :p

Lilith: Thank you! Means a lot to me coming from you. Oh, and I've taken the liberty to add you to the PM list, if you don't mind. :D

Peri: Thanks dude! You're on the list!

Snowy: Thank you! You are on the list as well!

And now, without further ado, entry 2! (Hey, that rhymes!:p)

Date:

9 Galactic Standard Days after last memory wipe

Diagnostics Check:

Power level at 93.5%
    No defects

59 Galactic Standard Days

Log entry:

The Y-wing simulator was an interesting experience. My master, designated Orange Nine for the duration of the training, was to lead a flight of four pilots, all flying simulated Y-wings, to do what I understand is called a ?bombing run? on a simulated Imperial base on a simulated moon quite similar to the moon on which this training facility has been built. A flight of four pilots flying simulated A-wings provided cover. I assisted my master by providing him with information on the status of his simulated Y-wing.

My master and the three other pilots completed the training efficiently and without simulated casualties. After cross-examining my master's score with the scores of the other pilots in the squadron, I discovered he ranked third. He seemed quite pleased with the results. Also, he extended to me his appreciation for my assistance. I must admit that I enjoyed being complimented.

I also quite enjoyed the simulation itself and look forward to more training in the future.

I have yet to discover reasons to distrust my master, but I have learned several other things about him today. He seems to be well-liked by the other pilots in the training squadron; they do not seem to distrust him. And he seems to be especially friendly with a Human female named Flight Officer Miek Kaiban, who during the training exercise was designated Orange Eleven.

Currently, my master is out for a celebratory drink with his fellow squadmates and I have once again retired to his quarters where I will be shutting down for the night.

9. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Awesome! Dos is flying well and meeting the wiminz! It'll be interesting to see how things progress within the squadron and within his relationships with them, and of course, Miek. [face_mischief]

It's great to see the droid POV working so well! This is an awesome piece of work! Just fantastic! :)

Trikes

10. Jedi_Perigrine

Apr 22, 2008
    Yeah, I totally love the droid POV, it adds a fun measure of entertainment into the story! I love his paranoia about his master...it's like he expects Dos to turn on him any moment.

I just wanna know how come the droid didn't get to go with the squadron for a drink! How fair is that?

Great story, Muis, keep it up. :D

11. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I[face_love]droid POV. You're my hero Muis for doing this.[:D] =D=

12. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    Ah, Miek enters, stage left. This should be a wonderful addition to the Talonverse.

Thank you for the PM! :)

13. snowspeeder_gunner

Apr 10, 2007
    I like how the droid is happy when he gets complimented! It's always so cute when the droid and the pilot become friends.

Keep up the great work!

14. Darth Muis

Mar 11, 2000
    Trika: Thanks for the compliments! I hope the droid POV will work for the entire year though... :p We'll see.

Peri: Yeah, I guess it's kinda unfair he didn't get to go. I'm not sure he would've enjoyed being in a rowdy fighterjock bar... People would probably put their drinks on him and I don't think they would use coasters...:cool: Thanks for reading.

Jag: Thanks for the compliment and thanks for reading. I'm quite enjoying writing from the droids POV, it's good challenge.

Lilith: Yup, there's Miek. She'll be making many more appearances, you can count on that. Thanks for reading!

Snowy: Yeah, it's always cute isn't it? I've said it before and I'll say it again, droids are oftenly overlooked both in pro- and fan-fic, and that's a shame. Especially droid/human relationships could make for plenty interesting storytelling. Anyway, thanks!

And here comes part 3!

Date:

10 Galactic Standard Days after last memory wipe

Diagnostics Check:

Power level at 99.5%
    No defects

58 Galactic Standard Days

Log entry:

I was automatically reactivated by the sound of my master's entry into his quarters. He came in accompanied by Flight Officer Kaiban. They spoke in muffled yet excited tones for several minutes after which they shared a brief intimate moment known as a kiss.

After Flight Officer Kaiban left, my master spoke to me about the events of the evening. He seemed slightly intoxicated due to his strange manner of speech, and my suspicions were confirmed when I checked his breath for traces of alcohol. When he spoke he seemed enthusiastic. Whether this had anything to do with the alcohol in his blood or the intimate moment he shared with Flight Officer Kaiban, I do not know. I responded where I deemed it to be appropriate and my master seemed to appreciate this. After about 8 minutes he wished me ?goodnight? and turned off the lights in his quarters.

I quite enjoyed our conversation, but the level of alcohol particles on his breath have me slightly worried. Could this be part of the reason some of the personnel on the base seemed to distrust him? I will investigate this tomorrow.

15. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    This analysis of something as complicated as a kiss makes me laugh every time I read it. It's quite possibly my favorite line out of the whole story so far. [face_laugh]

Ah, yes, take charge, Wilson! Investigate this matter more thoroughly! I like how the little droid is becoming more interested in his master and wants to get in on the curious parts of Dos's life.

Great work, Muis! I love the story, and I want to read more before every else does. [face_mischief]

16. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    That does it, I'm in love with Wilson.[face_love]

Wonderful job, Muis!=D=

17. snowspeeder_gunner

Apr 10, 2007
    Awwww Wilson is so cool!

I responded where I deemed it to be appropriate and my master seemed to appreciate this.

[face_laugh] I love how he is so objective about everything, but you can still tell he has a personality.

And he is such a mother hen too! Definitely a keeper.

Keep up the great work!

18. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999

Gotta love the lack of understanding mechanical objects have when it comes to biological responses. :)

19. Jedi_Perigrine

Apr 22, 2008
    I love the development of Wilson, he's such an amusing little droid. Great job, Muis!

20. Darth Muis

Mar 11, 2000
    Trika: Well, you got your wish. Thanks for the beta!

Jag: You're in love with him? I'm not sure he would understand... :p Thanks for reading!

Snowy: He is a keeper, isn't he? And I'm glad he is, because you'll be reading about for the rest of the year. [face_laugh]

Lilith: Well, when you come to think of it, we humans have some odd and irrational habits...[face_laugh] Thanks for reading!

Peri: Glad you're noticing development. Development is good! Thanks!

Date:

10 Galactic Standard Days after last memory wipe

Diagnostics Check:

Systems running at 99.8% efficiency
    Power level at 98.6%
    No defects

58 Galactic Standard Days

Log entry:

There were no activities planned for my master today, so he was in no need of my assistance. He remained in his darkened quarters for 4 standard hours longer today than the previous days. This might be due to yesterday's alcohol consumption.

I used my master's off-duty time to do some investigating as to why most of the base personnel seems to distrust him. First I checked the local database for any misdemeanors that might be logged in it. I discovered no such entries. However I did come across some information on my occupation before my last memory wipe. It held little of true interest, only that I have served in my current capacity as pilot assistant before and that I've received many upgrades, both hardware and software, since my first activation.

Then I had communications with some of my fellow droids around Folor Base. I met with 4 astromech droids of various models but none of them had any useful information to offer me. I also spoke to other droids of various types and classes, but none of them were able to answer my questions. It was only after I came across a TC-series protocol droid that I discovered some interesting things. He explained to me that most humanoids generally distrust and even fear the unknown, and since my master is a member of a rather obscure species (I was told only approximately 1 in every 103 billion sentients in the known galaxy is Shi'ido.), most personnel felt an irrational fear whenever they came in contact with him. It appears to be some sort of primeval thing. Also, he explained to me how Shi'ido are seen by many species and cultures around the galaxy as dangerous, due to (as I had already deduced) their ability to change their appearance and even allegedly cloud the minds of other sentients. Yet, the TC-series protocol droid assured me that there were really no rational reasons to distrust my master.

I must admit that this felt like a slight relief, despite the fact that I had yet to discover anything that could give me reasons to distrust him.

After this I retired to my master's quarters. My master was not there and did not return until 2303 Galactic Standard Time. This time he was not intoxicated, but despite this he seemed in an equally good mood as he had been the previous night. His body temperature was slightly raised, suggesting some recent physical activity. Perhaps he had been working out in the gym? He went to sleep immediately and I, after inputing this entry, powered down as well.

21. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    Ah, raised body temp and a smile late at night... Did he 'visit' with Miek for a while?

22. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Yeah, a work out. Love aerobics are considered a work out, right?:confused:

Yes! I do love Wilson and I can't wait for more.=D=

23. snowspeeder_gunner

Apr 10, 2007
    I like how Wilson goes investigating! He's a curious little guy. I wonder if there are any other droids hanging around that could explain the "gym" to him. :p

Keep up the great work!

24. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Oh lawd. Avert yer eyes, children! I hope Wilson doesn't learn of the "gym" by walking in on Dos one day. :oops:

Then again, seeing how a droid would explain that one would be hilarious. You know, doing those aerobics that Jag was talking about. [face_blush]

Great work, Muis! I love this story! :D (That means gimme more to read soon! [face_mischief] )

25. Jedi_Perigrine

Apr 22, 2008
    Sorry I'm so late, and I'm sorry I don't have my TIS logo on! Don't worry, it's coming back soon. ;)

My oh my, Wilson's master is getting...workouts! How wonderfully entertaining! Great post, Muis! I can't wait to see what other kinds of trouble Dos is getting into. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.