main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Winds of Change - Anakin's Saga is completed!!!!....Sequel announced!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by geo3, Feb 5, 2003.

1. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    WOW! What a chapter!

The boy?s presence was unmistakable. I loved from the start how Palpy?s POV considered Anakin as nothing more than a ?boy.? Telling.

But Skywalker had chosen to take a different approach to his otherwise predictable goal. He was apparently prepared to negotiate, rather than acting independently and rebelliously. To give and take, rather than simply taking. The best part of this scene was that it was not unfolding exactly how Palpy had foreseen and that shows vulnerability in my mind. Which we don?t really get to experience until the end of ROTJ. Rats!

The boy?s strategy didn?t seem in character. It struck Palpatine as studied. Deliberate. Well-thought out. That was the way Skywalker operated when he worked; but after the boy?s emotional conflagration earlier today, he certainly would not have expected him to take such a rational and cautious approach when his personal stake in the outcome was so high. The tragedy in all this is Ani doesn?t become the man he could be until too late. Better late than never is not going to apply in this case I fear.

?No, Anakin,? Palpatine said decidedly. ?I will not agree to your terms. Senator Amidala must be dealt with by the rule of law. If I try to circumvent that, the Republic becomes no better than a dictatorship.? Um excuse me ?[face_plain] [face_laugh]

Fascinating I thought Leonard Nimoy had taken over the role of the Emperor all of a sudden.

?Anakin!?

The boy stopped, and turned.

The room filled with dark energies. The Force leaped and boiled and surged.

?I?m certain that you will serve me well.?

The boy froze. Horrified recognition dawned on his face. Palpatine could feel his potent shudder of despair reverberate through the Force.

Satisfied, Palpatine waved Skywalker away.

[Bryon_Skywalker_voice]Fraggin Frag![/voice] WICKED! :eek: [face_devil] In this case the truth will not set you free but rather imprison your soul. AYE!

Great post as always! I?m so sad it?s coming to an end :_|

2. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Thanks once again for all of your warm and thoughtful comments!

qinguak My emotions are just reeling. Truly magnificent and yet evil but with hope and yet despair. This is not the ending I would have predicted but certainly hoped they would be together.

Yay! I?m glad I surprised you!

You have the characters so down pat and their love bond so real with the sacrifice he has made. You have written his love for her in such a powerful manner. It is just the best and more than worthy of best winter story!

Thank you so much!

This definitely deserves a hard cover and to be on the shelves of Borders! Try it Geo3.. give the manuscript a try? what is there to lose?

It?s a very sweet thought, but a legal and publishing impossibility. Still, your enthusiasm brings warm feelings to myheart!

PhonixMage Next post is the last post? *Pouts*

It is.

On this post: Meep. Palpatine's deceptions and twistings and evil stuff is going too far. I don't know why Anakin agreed to it. Why didn't they just run away? Then they wouldn't be subject to Palpatine's twistings.

If they had done it earlier, when Anakin wanted to, it just might have worked. Alas, at this late stage, there is probably nowhere they could hide. Darth Breezy summed it up nicely in her comment.

Ana_Labris Palpatine you malignant ****-pig! I love Vader but how I hate you, you Hutt-slime!

He is a very unlovable character.

"They had walked, surely, clinging together like frightened children." That line made me cry. *rereads the post and feels heartbroken*

It's the whole story ? the larger story, of which this is only a part ? that is so sad. To me, anyway!

?I don?t know why you love me,? Padmé murmured against his mouth. ?Why you would take on all this.? I loved his reply to this one.

LOL! So did I.

Nice music for the second part is www.nothingandnowhere.com and enter the flash site.. it's beautiful and sad. You can also go to the music clips and play 'Promise Me'.

Beautiful.

Jazz_Skywalker Oh, man, that's even worse than I expected. But at least he did it for her sake, not for the want of more power...

Exactly!

NinjaSkywalker That's the way I imagine it, at least

Aha! Al Pacino in ?Scarface?! Got it!

DarthBreezy ahh the joys of being omnipotent (as readers). Yes, we would ALL love to see Anakin run Palpy through, run away with Padmé and live happily ever after.

Wouldn?t we just! It would have been so much better for the Galaxy, too?Where is Al Pacino when you need him?

Anakin, (a Jedi... untrustworthy beings that they are) kills our beloved leader in cold blood and rescues a traitor to the Republic, well I think he could set the record on highest bounty in the known Galaxy.

Without a doubt. this is a good description of the reality they face.

We as the readers have the advantage here that the direct characters (indeed, the whole Galaxy) do not. We see that the Jedi are being set up to play the fall guy, that Padmé was honestly trying to save the Galaxy from a tyrant, Anakin was playing a desperate game of Sabbac that he has no chance of winning (the house cards are not only marked but heavily stacked by the dealer).

Exactly!

Anakin did the very best thing he could in the circumstances he was in, and to me, this chapter not only seals his fate, but ultimately his redemption as well...

Oh, I hope so.

stacysatrip ...And one more nail is driven into the coffin.

Yes.

First, as to the post as a whole, it was brilliantly done as always. You capture the underlying tension and even fear beneath the facade of confidence so very well... You even managed to convey a little bit of fear beneath Palpy's self-assuredness; fear of Anakin's unpredictability, fear of his immense power, and fear of his offspring.

Yes, indeed! Palpatine may be very powerful, but he is not omnipotent. He is, as we have seen before, br

3. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
  4. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Perhaps I should just kill him now Palpatine speculated. I should kill them both.
    Now there?s a chilling thought? :eek: Although I wonder if the Empire could have done what it did without Vader? So perhaps their immediate deaths wouldn?t be so bad as might initially appear? Hmm. Interesting ? no OT, no post-ROTJ EU, no nothin?.

Anakin Skywalker would be completely fearless. Had the Jedi succeeded with him, he would have been a formidable opponent indeed.
    Very true. :D But of course, that?s the brilliance of the way GL designed the character ? we find it almost impossible to imagine Anakin as fearless, because it?s so much of what his character suffers in TPM (fear of change, fear of harm to those he cares about) and AOTC (fear for his mother, fear for Obi-Wan, fear of the future). If Anakin were fearless, he wouldn?t be Anakin. At least not to me.

What a trial he must have been for the Jedi.
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] That split-second flash of, well, sympathy for the Jedi must have been quite disconcerting for ol? Sidious.

But evidently something else had happened ? something that had affected Anakin so deeply that he had disappeared again. And so Padmé watched and waited for him to come back to her.
    Lovely and sad at the same time. I think you made the right decision to show us the Dark Lord revelation only from Palpatine?s and Padmé?s points of view. We see Anakin?s first reaction, and his almost catatonic coping? But not his thoughts? Not his reasoning? Very effective.

?I?ll never stop looking for a way out.?
    And this is our glimpse of Anakin?s state of mind. He knows he?s made a deal with the Devil, but will always be looking for a way out. Or so he believes? :_| :_| (At least in my interpretation of ANH, Vader isn?t looking for much of a way out? Only in ESB and ROTJ do we see the signs of that, IMO. And even in ESB it?s a way out of Palpy?s power ? not from the dark side itself.)

One chapter to go. Wow. What an amazing ride this has been. :D

5. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    leia_naberrie ????

Darth_LexNo OT?

[face_shocked]

no post-ROTJ EU?

:D

no nothin?

[face_shocked] [face_devil] [face_shocked]

If Anakin were fearless, he wouldn?t be Anakin. At least not to me.

Of course not! Nor to me. But the IDEA of Anakin fearless - as the embodiment of the set of forces that would form powerful opposition to Sidious - sets up this picture of the balance between light and dark. And in the end, I supose, Anakin/Vader was able to act because he had moved way beyond fear.

That split-second flash of, well, sympathy for the Jedi must have been quite disconcerting for ol? Sidious.

Not sympathy, necessarily ? maybe just a snarky observation?

I think you made the right decision to show us the Dark Lord revelation only from Palpatine?s and Padmé?s points of view. We see Anakin?s first reaction, and his almost catatonic coping? But not his thoughts? Not his reasoning? Very effective.

Thanks! I thought that it was something that was best shown from the outside. We've had enough glimpses into his thoughts in such moments throughout the story, not to be perfectly clear about what must be going on inside him.

?I?ll never stop looking for a way out.? ? And this is our glimpse of Anakin?s state of mind. He knows he?s made a deal with the Devil, but will always be looking for a way out. Or so he believes?

I agree with you that, the more twisted he becomes, the more skewed his view of what might constitute a way out becomes. I also think that there must have been a time ? a long time, probably from end EPIII until he becomes aware of Luke?s existence - during which he gave up.

Well, my friends, this is it. The final chapter of ?The Winds of Change.? Thank you so much for staying with me throughout this long, long story! You have been a terrific bunch of readers. I loved, and will miss terribly, the arguments and debates, the pictures, the screenplays, the socks, the poetry, the fake chapters, and all the other little joys along the way. Thank you for all the time you have put into your replies, and of course, for the terrific award nominations! You?re the best!

Special kudos to my wonderful and faithful betareader, Darth_Lex

Before I forget: I posted an entry in the Love Letter Contest that takes place in the WOC universe, a little later than this story. It's Anakin and Padme, of course, but with a twist... You can find it here.

Chapter 47. The Weight of Prophecy

The Jedi task force?s losses left them with barely enough able pilots to return to Coruscant with all of their ships.

At first Mace had intended for Obi-Wan to pilot the six-passenger transport in which he had arrived, leaving Master Medulla and himself to fly the two starfighters. But after having observed the silent, withdrawn Kenobi for some time, Mace decided to keep his friend company in the transport and leave one of the starfighters behind to be retrieved later.

He shouldn?t be left alone.

He had never seen Obi-Wan like this. Outwardly the Jedi Knight performed all of his required tasks. Together the three remaining Jedi Knights carefully had loaded the bodies of Tec Andros and Lon Erian onto the Jedi transport ship. Together they had laid out the corpses and treated them with the herbs and potions that would preserve them during the journey back to the Jedi Temple. Obi-Wan had plotted their return course efficiently and arranged a daring flight plan that would bring them back to the Jedi Temple in little more than a day and a half. But he had not said a word since leaving Anakin behind with Supreme Chancellor Palpatine in the echoing foyer of the Palace at Theed. And all the while, Obi-Wan?s presence in the Force had resonated with the jarring, discordant unrest of a soul in torment.

They had left Naboo as quickly as possible, and entered hyperspace at the earliest opportunit

6. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    So sad...Anakin and Padmé trying so to find hope and peace, so deep in the trap. :_| :_|

I'm going to think Ep III isn't as good as WoC! :_|

7. GunraysLawyer

GunraysLawyer Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2003
    All right, you did it, you've got me teared up again....

More coherent thoughts later on this great gift of a story...

8. A-Windsor

A-Windsor Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    *wipes away the tears*

The beauty of it all has stunned me speechless....

The scene with the Holy Man.... It may be the most breathtaking scene in this story...

A. Windsor

9. Mr_Boba_Jango

Mr_Boba_Jango Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2002

Wow. Add me to the tearful reader club, Geo. Absolutely brilliant writing! There were so many emotions wrapped up in that ending that its difficult to express myself.

Some powerful symbolism in this last chapter. Anakin?s waving goodby to ?the boy he left behind? was a wonderful metaphor. Poulin is a perfect example of the pure goodness that was the Anakin in that engraving. The Holy man absolving Padme of her ?stain of guilt? was another powerful moment.

But what really got me was the bitter sweetness of this ending. Beginning with Obi-Wan?s grief and ending with Anakin enveloping that last person he has left, as Bale?s spirit warms his soul with her radiance.

Hello, Warrior, Anakin said to her in his heart. Thank you for showing me the way.

And there it is. He?s been in the presence of all that is pure and good. And although his life will take him further through the depths of hell, in the end he will fulfill his destiny and will join her, clasping her other hand in his own.

10. PhoenixMage

PhoenixMage Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 2002
    Beautiful ending to a wonderful story, geo. Of course, it was sad too.

The funeral for Bale was wonderfully written. Simple and to the point, but full of emotion.

When Anakin was looking at the Garden of Rememberance, I felt so sad. It seems like he's lost everything and everyone expcept for Padme. And, in some sense, it's true.

*Sighs*

I can't wait to see what you and leia_naberrie do. Let me know when you start it!

11. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    Truly beautiful. I just can't see so well to type this as the tears are flowing so heavily. I started tearing up as the chapter began. I will truly miss this story. BUT will look forward to the next one. A story of Padme with visits from Anakin I hope.
    You have warmed the cockles of my heart with this ending. The imagery is lovely. This was a funeral that had a happy ending. Thank you so much for taking me on this journey.

12. Jedi_Jen

Jedi_Jen Jedi Master star 1

Nov 7, 2003
    :_| What a beautiful, bittersweet ending. It was the perfect ending to a wonderful story.
    Thank you for writing and posting this. I have really enjoyed reading it.
    I'm glad that you are going to keep writing! Can't wait to see what you come up with next. :)

13. aotc02

aotc02 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 17, 2002
    Amazing ending to a great story. :D

She wasn?t alone. Her small hand was clasped tenderly in the large, square hand of Qui-Gon Jinn.

Hello, Warrior, Anakin said to her in his heart. Thank you for showing me the way.

When I reached this part in the post I could only describe it as beautiful. I can just imagine Anakin watching the image of Balé and Qui-Gon. And then Anakin said the last words of the story and I got all teary eyed. :_| Wonderful fic! I feel privileged to have read it.

14. Jazz_Skywalker

Jazz_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    She wasn?t alone. Her small hand was clasped tenderly in the large, square hand of Qui-Gon Jinn.

Awwww! It's nice to see a bit of closure brought to Bale's character, that she's happy and not alone.

Awesome end to the story, giving it an uplifting feel instead of a sad one. I loved your love letter as well.

Can't wait to see a new story from you, geo3!

JS

15. JAGSGURL15

JAGSGURL15 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    A wonderful Finish to a wonderful story!

SUper Great Job Geo!

And i must say that i am glad that there is a possibility for a sequel to WOC!

16. JAGSGURL15

JAGSGURL15 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    A wonderful Finish to a wonderful story!

SUper Great Job Geo!

And i must say that i am glad that there is a possibility for a sequel to WOC!

17. diamond_pony2002

diamond_pony2002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    WAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S OVER!!!!!! I'LL MISS THIS STORY!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR SUCCESS WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    The final chapter: :_| :_| :_|

How sad, sweet, touching, and moving, a terrific story. I've read fan fics for 12 years, including fan fics written at the time the first set of movies were out and I honestly believe the absolute best SW fan fiction is being written now. You really deserve all of the honors this story acquired and I can't wait for the sequel.

You've done Anakin and Padmé proud :D.

--MissPadme

19. returnofthejeni

returnofthejeni Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2003
    It's over! :_|

I loved the ending. It was so sad and beautiful, perfect, just perfect.

I liked how Anakin saw Bale and Qui-Gon at the end, and him thanking her...(I got a little teary there.)

Thank you so much for writing this, I enjoyed every minute of it,(even though I didn't get around to replying much, sorry) and I can't wait to see what you two come up with for the next story, if that happens. I hope it does. :D

*stands and applauds geo3 for the completion of her wonderful story*

20. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Happy Valentine's Day!

As usual I read your post just immediately upon realizing it was up, then had to sort of just soak it in. What a way to go - out with a bang! Loved it! [face_love]

Destiny is a river that flows inexorably from its source to its end in the sea, where it loses itself in the larger cycle of the world. The end is inevitable. The fact that it will flow to the sea is inevitable. But in the river itself there are an infinite number of paths to that end. At every bend, at every rock and obstruction there are numerous decision points. New flows. Counterpoints. Diversions.

The end is inevitable.

The first scene was just stunning in its display of the raw emotion touching every Jedi involved. Of course, Mace's is hard to even comprehend because what I got from the above passage was that he and the Council know where they are going - into the dark times - no matter what they do. I could not imagine bearing such a heavy burden.

And Obi-Wan's grief and sense of failure were just palpable. His pain and frustration jumped off the page. Your empathy with the characters is amazing.

There was light ahead, Master Yoda insisted. There was hope. But it would be born out of darkness and sacrifice.

Given what was coming, surviving seemed like the greatest sacrifice of all.

WoW! Just WoW!

?Surely you agree that your wife does not need to wear this stain of guilt.? The old man?s voice was kind, but had an unyielding strength that was forged in the Force.

?No,? Anakin said roughly, revealing far more raw emotion than he had intended. Somehow the Holy Man had drawn it out. ?She has done nothing wrong.?

The old man nodded. ?Go, my child,? he murmured to Padmé. Go in peace.?

:_| Ah if only that could be so. I was wondering where you were going with the choice of attire for Padme. The Naboo tend to use their appearance to speak for them, so it was a fitting expression of the guilt and shame Padme felt. Very powerful stuff.

Padmé and Anakin no longer stood side by side. In the gloom they might have appeared as a single figure. Padmé?s back was pressed against Anakin?s chest, for strength and for comfort. His cloak fell over her gleaming white dress, as his arms were securely wrapped around her from behind. Her head was tucked under his chin. As one, they watched the leaping flames of the fire return Balé to the Force.

I fear this will be the closest they will ever be...Just a hunch that it's going down hill from here, but it was beautiful to read and "see."

Bravo, Geo!

I just loved the ending, and I look forward to more to come.

21. Darth_Lamblike

Darth_Lamblike Jedi Youngling

Dec 6, 2003
    Very beautiful and poignant finish to the story, Geo. I guess that Anakin does not learn from Bale's message in the end. :mad:

Mace keeping Obi-Wan safe was a great twist to the story. Though I'm sure he could have just avoided all this by beheading Palpy when he was with him at the balcony. [face_devil] [face_devil]

There was light ahead, Master Yoda insisted. There was hope. But it would be born out of darkness and sacrifice. This line gave me a shiver down my spine, both with sadness and joy at A&P's sacrifices and their expected arrivals. I even had to go watch ROTJ just to catch a glimpse of post WOC good Anakin. :D

Padme's desperation was well written, and her symbolic gesture of guilt was moving. I am glad that the Holy Man saw fit to remove the sash from her. Ultimately while she may have played into Palpatine's hands, it was not her fault.

I will look forward to a continuation of this story (and I will continue to hope and cheer for someone to come to their senses and drop Palpy down a reactor shaft). This story is definitely one of my favorites on TFN. :) :) :)

Great job once again, Geo.

22. Jeditheskyisblue

Jeditheskyisblue Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    I haven't read all of the story yet and plan to as so as I get the time.

23. Lando_Plenty

Lando_Plenty Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2002
    Chapter 46 :
    This chapter had a feeling of hopelessness. There are a few bright spots, though:
    I offered him power. And glory. And riches. And this?this is what he wants.
    Why was the boy willing to give up everything for her? It didn?t make sense.

Bad move for the villian here. This should have set off warning bells -it shows that the good could never be completely erased from Anakin. Greedy palpatine, though, has to have the Chosen One.
    Reactor shaft, anyone? :)
    And on another note, your Sabe is one of my favorite characters.

Chapter 47 : What a beautiful ending. The 'Garden of Rememberance' scene was my favourite. But the whole thing was just so sad. The peace will only last for so long, because already Anakin has to go back to Coruscant to do Palpy's 'dirty work'. :(

Congatulations geo3, on this great piece of work.

Sequel!? So Anakin's story ends here and Padme's begins. I can't wait to see what you and Leia_naberrie have in store for us.

24. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Giving this a well deserved boosty while I formulate my thoughts... [face_love]

25. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Where IS everone?

Well, as I am still in the virtual recovery ward of illness, I can only try to articulate how I feel here.

I first met Geo as a fellow author over on Fan fiction.net, I was captivated by her works even then. Our corrispondance bloomed into a freindship which culminated in our actually meeting last september... (I should say, face to face, I already knew her by then!)

I have sweated and creid and laughed with her over the course of this tale. I suffered along with the agony of writers block and grouchy, unco-operative muses, and rejoiced along with her when her 'little Niche' story finally got the recognition it deserved in the fan fiction awards.

We've journied along together in this, all of us. But especially those fortunate enough to call her freind, it's been a wonderful trip.

Safe journey Bale, Poulin and all the rest. I know that in the end when Palpy takes that reactor core dive, you and all of the others will be standing there cheering...