main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Winter Holiday Fan Fiction Contest -- WINNERS!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Mistress_Renata, Dec 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Here it is, get your keyboards ready!

The Winter Holiday Story must be at least 3 posts long (it can be longer) and must be concluded by midnight of December 31st, board time. Vignettes are not eligible (to make it more of a challenge).

The entry should begin with this sentence: "The candle in the window could be seen in the distance, a beacon of warmth and welcome to the weary travelers."

And the all of the following THEMES must be incorporated:

1. candles
    2. holiday
    3. reunion
    4. gifts
    5. light

Entries must have a LINK posted here in this thread. Scoring will be on a scale of 1-10 in the following categories:

Technical (grammar, etc.)
    Originality
    Comprehensibility
    Adherence to themes (are all incorporated?)
    Characterization/adherence to GFFA (does it feel like Star Wars?)

Scoring perfect in all categories would give you 50 points. The judges include myself, Darth Ishtar, and _Derisa_Ollamhin.

On your marks, get set, GO! :D

(And yes, stories from all eras are eligible.)

2. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Hmmm... I'll keep this one in mind. :)

3. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Ooh! I have an idea for this!

One question though... can I alter the first sentence slightly to have only one traveler?

4. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    I have a question, too. What do you mean by "originality." That's one of those tricky words. Like "imgainative."

Oh, and do we send a link when we have the first post up or after all three are up?

~Inyri

5. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Having a set sentance like that to three sets the story direction in stone, pretty much. There has to be three characters?

6. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Hi, all.

1) Yes, you can alter the sentence to include only one traveler. But no other alterations.

2) Originality is originality. I can't be specific. I mean, you know it when you see it.

3) You can post the link when the first post is up. You have until the 31st to complete the story. We just want people to stretch beyond vignettes, though those are very popular, and fun to read (I mean, I enjoy them!)

4) 3 posts, not three characters. You can have as many characters as you want. :)

The sentence doesn't necessarily set the story in stone; the "originality" bit comes from what people do with it. Will it be dark? Will it be dramatic? Will it be mush? Will it be humor? It all depends on you... :)

Good luck, all!

7. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    Thanks... that means I don't have to come up with a lame way to give the main character a companion. :p

8. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Ooh! This is going to be a fun one.

Do there have to be canon characters? Or will the presence of a Jedi constitute enough Star-Wars-y-ness?

9. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Ooh, I can see a Christmas-y fic taking shape in my dusty, cobwebbed mind...

With one of my favorite Original Characters, no less. Oh, this'll be so much fun. Now I just have to think about what to call my winter holiday... "A long time ago" pretty much rules out Christmas itself. "Jedi Day" seems to obvious. The old standard "Life Day" doesn't make it as culturally meaningful, though...

Oh! And the titles are popping into my head like blackened toaster pastries!! :D

10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Love that imagery, Ty-Gon. Gosh, I can't wait to see this take form. Seeing the results of Halloween was crazy enough, but fanfic writers let loose on the Holiday Season. I'm hoping for Darth_Fruitcake to make an appearance with something like "A Christmas Eve with the Skywalkers/Solos." Opening scene: Santa tries to come down the chimney and falls off the roof and all you hear is MY ROSES!

11. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Oh, and Ish, this gives us a chance to throw around some more Latin!

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LENGUA ROMANA VIVIT!

13. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
  14. -thor-

-thor- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Sith!

I have an idea, but with two software betatests and X-mas I just don't have time :( ...

15. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    The more I think about it the harder it is to come up with a name for this winter holiday on my planet... Visigoths!!

Sorry. I remember that someone once posted that in response to Sith as a Star-Wars-type expletive... would we use an ancient barbarian race that way? Now that comes to mind every time someone uses Sith that way. ;)

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Tygon, it's because it has the same letters as another expletive, you know which. I always swear by drinks--HOLY SNAPPLE!--or in spanish--Para llorar en voz alta, para el amor de la fuerza, santa vaca. I know some proper expletives in English, Spanish, and Greek. We had fun learning that if you want someone to go to he**, you tell them to go throw themselves to the crows.

As for holiday names, I tend to go by seasonal changes. Like in one story, I referred to something as the Equinox Formal, meaning it was around Eastertime. Try solstices or such things.

17. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Ooooh, I got a great idea! :D I might participate - if I have the time. I signed up for an early exam date (December 19) for Mathematical Analysis, so I have two weeks to prepare for it... :)

18. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    So does the winner get a prize?

19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I think it's the VIP-ship and colors, as usually. :)

20. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Oh! I thought of a holiday that's good for my little alien culture, and I even named it... (though I named it in an earth-language, it's one that reminds me of the alien culture -- they're partly based on this earth culture). ;) It's also, still, a little bit Christmas-y.

EDIT: Just, in advance, let me offer my apologies in that, written out for the board format, it's going to be a really ugly word. It's lovely to say, though. "Svazdipir." :D

21. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    I'm so glad that this contest is here. I was going to do a Christmas fic anyway, but this should give me motivation to actually sit down and write it... unlike the Thanksgiving one I was going to write. :p

22. Wilhelmina

Wilhelmina Jedi Master star 3

Jul 4, 2002
    Can we write more than one entry? I have two plot bunnies pulling me in opposite directions... :p

23. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Ty-gon: I like it! :D "Svazdipir". Sounds a bit Russian to me... :p

24. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Mar: Wow, you're good. I got that by running together the Russian words for "Feast" and " of a Star." It's going to be the festival celebrating a miraculous event heralded by the appearance of some sort of celestial event that can't be explained... ;)

"For we have seen His star in the east, and have come to worship Him..."

25. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Hurray! I can set a story on my farm planet involving my Jedi! Huzzah!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.