main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Winter Holiday Fan Fiction Contest -- WINNERS!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Mistress_Renata, Dec 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Way to go, you guys! :) Hope you had a nice New Year's!

Judges, you may commence firing... err... judging.

2. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Lots of great stories. Still reading my way through them. There's enough here to keep the judges busy for a while.

And this does NOT belong on page 6

3. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I really enjoyed writing for this challenge and I thought the judges did a great job comin up w/ a unique contest for everyone who entered.

I've read several of the stories (and still plan on perusing more) and it's been very interesting to see how we all took different paths to interpret the judges list of things to incorporate into the story.

I've never participated in one of these things before and I had a lot of fun. I'm definitely keeping my eye open for more of these.

Ty-Gon

You're my hero- I can't believe you cranked out 3 stories! :eek:

4. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    PLJ -- Wow. I've never been someone's hero before. :D :D :D

5. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Grr... next time we're limiting him to one! :)

We're working our way through; I've got four left. Our goal is to let you know by the end of the week.

:)

Renata

6. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, Renata, if you'd rather have only one entry, they can be viewed as a trilogy, and, therefore, in a way, a single entity.

7. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    AAARGH! The judging is in progress and I'm VERY nervous! I just hope they aren't judged on length... [face_very_very_anxious]....

8. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    According to the first post, judging is by the following criteria: technical (grammar, etc.), originality, comprehensibility, adherence to themes (are all incorporated?) and characterization/adherence to GFFA (does it feel like Star Wars?). Now, you had to have at least three posts, so that's something. And I suppose if the judge is annoyed that's too short or too long, you might lose points indirectly as they may mark you harder. :p But length is not supposed to matter. :)

9. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Judging, right!

I know I've only read a few, but what I've seen is quite something.

10. Geezerette50

Geezerette50 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2003
    I agree with the acclaims about the quality of the stories posted. They bespeak a flexible approach to a constrained set of requirements. Different characters, situations and genres were explored in a delightful array of interpretations. Lots of fun.

Makes me wonder what the next challenge will be....

:)

Sue

11. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    May I make an official request that judges/reviewers/mods leave replies on mine? As far as my JC handle goes, I live for feedback.

12. Geezerette50

Dec 28, 2003
    Hey, that'd be nice! I just figured they would glance through it and move on, but if they are permitted to respond, that could be helpful for the next exercise.

Will the scores be left there, too, or pmed to us, or what?

Yes, I am pathetically new at this....

Sue

13. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    I second Ty-gon's idea for feedback from the judges. They don't have to leave their scores there, too, but I wouldn't mind if they PM'd them to me with expanded feedback if they like.

I won't hold anything against the judges if they give me low scores. I'm hoping their opinions will help me improve my writing. :)

14. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    I would think that, since the judges volunteered their time, the reason they might not post feedback is because it might not be a good idea to post the scores... and we don't necessarily want the scores on the threads. :) We just love feedback.

15. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I wouldn't mind some feedback on my story, if that's okay. :)

16. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    I would love feedback. Feedback is my life ;)

17. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I sent my scores in yesterday and I can say I thought very highly of all the entries. If it's permitted, I had attached a comment explaining my scores to each of the entry scorings, so I'll try and get those put on the links.

18. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, Ish, if you would, could you leave a message on the threads of my stories?

Not the scores, of course. That's a matter for this thread. :)

19. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I too would love to see what the judges thought of my entry, just to find out. :)

Jae Angel

20. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Scoring continues; I have four left to read myself. Apologies for being so slow, but I've come down with a sinus infection or something and spent most of the day yesterday asleep. I'm trying to get as much done before all the nice prescription drugs kick in and leave me loopy.

We can post comments in the threads, I won't post actual scores. Just the top 3. :)

21. Geezerette50

Dec 28, 2003
    Well, I am sure I can speak for the other authors here in thanking the judges for all the time they are taking with this, which, after looking through the entries, must be considerable.

Sue

22. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Yay. :) Thanks, Renata, and thanks also to Derisa and Ish for taking on such a forminable task, since this challenge seemed to bring out the best in everyone...

23. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I am composing commentary for all of the entires, and will post it on each thread as I go, but I have to say, I'm reading a bit slower, since lodging a chip of ice in my ee yesterday while at work. The snow here in Victoria *which doesn't see snow every year) has slowed things down somewhat, but I'll do my best to have my numbers in by tomorrow morning. :)

Just a note to all the participants: there are so many great interpretations of the elements and so many heart-warming moments, as well as so many rich little stories, and well-crafted scenes, I just want you all aware, I'm very impressed by the calibre and vision of you all. Thank you for entering: you're an inspiring lot!

*Derisa*

24. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Oh man- our judges are falling apart on us! :_| You guys are the best!!! :_|

Take your time and thank you for all the hard work you've put into the judging process :)

25. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    *joins in the thanking of the judges* Thanks!!!! :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.