main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge WIPtober! (Finish WIPs, Win Prizes!)—Sign Up Now through Sept. 30!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Findswoman , Sep 20, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    That’s great that you’re making such good progress on reviews! I know what you mean about the time flying by, because I’m really feeling it, too. Rooting for you and sending good vibes your way! :)

First of all, I hope your cat is doing all right! Glad she made it through the surgery in good shape, though I can totally understand how nerve-wracking that must have been.

And yes, it is completely fine to raise your small goal for“The Wrong Side of History” to a large goal of 6000; I’ve marked it in the index already. Sounds like you are making some very impressive progress on that, and I can’t wait to see what you’ve got! (That is, if I haven’t been a flake and missed it—apologies if so!)

Yes, absolutely seconded, and I couldn’t have put it better! That’s how it has been feeling for me these days, too (especially since I was away all weekend at a con), but every little bit really does count, and that’s what this challenge is here for. @};-

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hooray! Got it in. You’ve been really going to town with your goals this month, earlybird! :cool:

EDIT: Logging one more review for myself: @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha ’s very sweet Never Lost in Translation. :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  4. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    @Findswoman : Thank you for the well-wishes about my cat. And yes, she seems to be doing better today: since she had abdominal surgery, I was told in her aftercare instructions last night that she is to stay off couches, beds, and chairs until her incision is "well-healed," and well--she violated that rule five times by 1 pm. (To be fair, three of those times are on me because I decided to bring my lunch of leftover pizza to my bedroom where she was resting.)

As for my new large goal (and yes, I checked and you have it marked in the index) apparently 6000 words wasn't too ambitious either, at least not this month. I have already achieved that goal, plus a few hundred extra words, for a total of 6383 words.

5. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm currently at 1,347 words for Enter the Foreign and 829 words for the untitled Ferrus fic. Not quite as far as I wanted to be at this point, but I'm hoping to catch up this week.

I've also made a good bit of progress on my haiku challenge vignette and should be able to finish that before the end of the month!

6. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Well done, and got it in! You're making awesome progress this month, and I look forward to seeing the results. :) I hope things will continue to go all right for your cat's recovery and that her incisions will heal up in good shape.

Thanks so much for the update! Glad things are moving along well—I've got your new numbers in my list (hopefully in the right places, so if you could please check, that would be great). Sending good vibes for a productive and happy week of writing! :)

7. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Yep, looks good! And thank you! :D

8. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    I've met two more of my goals! (Apologies for the double post here... I wasn't sure if this would be noticed if I edited the previous post.)

First is my Medium goal of finishing a vignette for the Haiku mini challenge, for which I've written Metamorphosis.

And then with that, I've also completed my Large goal of finishing multiple one-shots: Turn Ourselves Into These Ashes and Metamorphosis.

Edit: I've also managed to up my word count for Enter the Foreign to 2,360 over the last couple days. Progress!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
  10. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  11. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    No writing progress made. I miss it so much but it's just not happening and I don't know how to make it happen again.

I've managed 2 more reviews on two more awesome stories, though:

Child of Lasan—Child of Lira San by Findswoman
    Do Not Disturb by Raissa Baiard

[face_love]

And I'm truly happy for all of you who are writing and making progress on your goals! Congratulations, and all the good vibes and encouragement for the remainder of the month. You got this! =D=:)

12. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Amazing progress being made! Congratulations to @ViariSkywalker for your recently achieved writing goals and to @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha and @amidalachick for wonderful work on reviews, and @earlybird-obi-wan keep on keeping on—you’ve got this, and I’m sure you’ll make your remaining goal! I have updated the index accordingly. :)

For my own part, I have achieved one more Medium goal of finishing my response to multiple Mini-Games challenges: Bright Sadness. As my remaining goals go, the 1000-word Douglas Adams one isn’t going to be feasible for me to accomplish this month, but I just might be able to pull off my small goal. Wish me luck! [face_good_luck]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  14. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    Got my Small Goal of 500 words done for Past Tension.

Considering that took me almost a month, I think it's safe to say that 1000 word goal is null and void. Not disappointed though. I got a good amount done in less than a month.

15. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks so much, Earlybird, I’m so glad you enjoyed! I’ll do the best I can—still got most of a week left.

And wow, it looks like you just finished the last goal on your list—congratulations to you on finishing, and go you with all those awesome check marks under your name on the index list! You really aced this WIPtober. :cool:

Got your 500-word goal down in the index—great job on achieving that! And please don’t feel bad about not making that 1000-word goal (I’m not going to make mine either). Every goal you do manage counts for something, and we’re proud of the work you put in all the same. :)

16. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    • Done ! - Small: 500 on Snips and Snails and Bantha Tails
    • Done ! - Medium: 1000 words on How It Ends (unpublished)
    • Medium: 2000 words on The Senator and the Knight (Mills and Boon fic, unpublished)
    • Large: Finish three one shots: for
      • Done! OC Challenge,
      • Done! - OTP Challenge,
      • Haiku Challenge/Dead Poet's Society Challenge

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  17. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Wonderful work, Kit’, looks great! :) I’ve updated the index accordingly—hopefully everything there looks correct.

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
  19. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    WOOHOO! [face_party] Way to go, Nyota—you are our first participant to complete a review goal! Wonderful job as always, and thank you SO MUCH for all the amazing support you show the stories and writers here! =D=

As for me, I just logged my fourth review: on the latest chapter of @Kit' s Snips and Snails, which I’m so delighted to see continuing (yay Estra chapter!). I’ve got only one more to go, now!

20. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Alrighty! So, while I've been able to write more for all my goals, I have yet to actually complete any more of them. My muse has been a bit hard to pin down in one place, but progress is progress! I'll take it. :p

At the very least, I did reach my review goal with: Snips and Snails, by Kit'; Bright Sadness, by Findswoman; Metamorphosis, by ViariSkywalker; and Twin Suns Bed and Breakfast, by Kahara. This month has produced some darn fine reading, and I can't wait to see what the next few days brings in. Good luck in the home stretch, everyone! [face_dancing] [:D]

21. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    That's fantastic, Mira! Got it in now. :) Review goals are nothing to sneeze at and definitely something to be just as proud of as writing goals, because they take hard work, too—and you always write such wonderful, beautifully crafted ones that show us how deeply you connect with each story. (And just personally, I have to thank you for the awesome reviews you've left on my recent efforts! They always make my day. <3 )

As to the writing, keep on keeping on—sounds like you're making some good progress, and there's still a nonzero number of days left in the month! :D Your stories always make for darn fine reading, too, and I look forward to seeing the results of your hard work whenever you are ready and able!

22. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    I just crossed the line on my Large goal of 5,000 words for Enter the Foreign! My word count is currently 5,175, and I'm not planning to stop there. Still have some work to do before I reach my goal of finishing ch. 23 for that fic, but I'm excited to have met the word count goal. :D

Also, way to go everyone with your writing and reviewing goals! I need to get cracking on some reviews myself. ;)

23. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Completed 2 more reviews for a total of eight so far:

Twin Suns Bed & Breakfast and Other Stories by Kahara
    What do we want? by earlybird-obi-wan

I've given up on any writing goals but there are so many stories I still want to read (or that I have read and not commented on yet) so I'm hoping to work on that in the next few days!

Congratulations and a round of applause for everyone's progress and accomplishments! You all rock! =D=

24. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  25. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Yay! I finished Beginnings! I doubt I’ll get my other goals done on time, but I’m actually pretty amazed I completed this one. :p