main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD With Regards to Same-sex relationships and Fanfic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I don't see what bisexuality has to do with "not being family friendly."

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I do do think the canon question should be discussed among the mods and the owner. This policy changed from no obvious SSR to you can have SSR. If the owner hears about a Han/Luke romance and finds it offensive we don't want the policy reversed. It may not seem fair that one person has the final say...but it appears that is the case.

3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I believe they did speak to the owner? That's why they specified no restrictions.

4. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I'm very happy to see the full removal of SSR restrictions concerning all and any characters. Yay! [face_party]
    Not gonna rush off to write a celebratory fic with canon cast, but I'm glad that people can do that here now.

Link to my source in Comms.

5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Ah, okay. I didn't see Mavjade's update. Originally when I asked the question she said to stick to OCs.

Well that is good news.

6. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Oh, wow! This is great news to come back to the Boards and find. :D

7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    While the new version of the FAQ is being worked on, the current FAQ has been updated to reflect this change, it reads as such:

Juliet316 , pronker, TrakNar and 2 others like this.
  8. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    It is good to see this being done at last and has been a long time in coming. In my opinion, the rules should have been changed when non-Star Wars fan fic was allowed to be posted on the boards because of characters such as Willow and Tara in Buffy. It didn't seem right to me that fans couldn't post those stories on here, and I have never seen a problem with same-sex pairings as long as it stays PG-13. I won't be writing them myself, but it is good that there is a place where people who want to post and read these sort of stories can come and not be in danger of coming across something too explicit, which is the problem with Archive of Our Own, for example.

Ewok Poet and leiamoody like this.
  9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    It was the owner who stipulated that be a rule, so it wasn't something we could do for one section of the boards and not the other (of course, that wouldn't have been fair either). The mods didn't agree with the rule, but our job is to uphold them and so we couldn't do anything about it until we were finally told (after asking about it again) we could get rid of it.

10. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Very cool news. I've been pondering a same-sex (PG rated) canon relationship, but just assumed that it would never be posted here. Not so now.

pronker likes this.
  11. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    This is amazing news! I'm so glad I can write openly about gay and bi characters. I seem to remember that the ban on canon characters and SSRs meant we couldn't write about canon characters that were in SSRs as canon, but I might be remembering that wrong. Anyways, this is great news and all my non-straight characters are having rainbow and glitter parties.

leiamoody and TrakNar like this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Another dangerous, dangerous stereotype. :(

13. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Fascinating debates. It's going to take me a while to process this. Most surprising was the thing about lifting the Canon, etc. ban on established characters, a plunge that was unexpected.[face_cowboy] A writerly challenge is to suggest relationships without blatant statements, and allusion is always something I've enjoyed reading, and attempting to write. Wow, interesting news to hear of from a fellow fan via email this a.m.!

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Woot!

pronker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.