main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WNU Communications

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Morgaine, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    Ok, so I 'borrowed' this thread idea from another forum. ;)

This thread is supposed to be our own private little communications forum.
    You have a question about forum policy, a suggestion on how to improve WNU, or would like to criticize something? Post it here, and we'll discuss it! :)

(Note: If anyone does not feel comfortable posting here, you are of course still welcome to PM or IM me, and we'll talk in private. ;))

I have a few issues that I'd like to discuss with all of you WNU regulars myself, but I'll wait to see if any of you want to bring up something first.

Now, let me hear your thoughts! :D

2. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Good idea! :) Allow me to start this baby off! 8-}

This is not directed to any one person here, but I think that it needs to be discussed so that all are made aware. What are the specifics on what may be posted here?

3. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    I'm sure the regular members here remember the discussion about the Welcome Forum having its own Banner? Has any developments happened on that Morgaine? I wouldn't mind seeing the Bear Clan and Jar Jar Binks sticking his tongue out on the banner.

That would be quite cute actually. [face_love]

4. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Argh! :mad: I typed up a nice long reply, and then my stupid browser killed it! :_| Well, Stridarious - you'll get a shorter reply now, sorry. ;)
    What's appropriate for this forum?
    • Well, introduction threads from newbies are fine, of course. :)
    • Informational threads are always nice and helpful. ;) (That's one of the things I'd like to discuss, BTW, but that can wait a while.)
    • Social Threads - we have two, and that's a good number IMO. If people are interested in starting a new one, we can discuss replacing one of the existing ones, but I don't think we need more than that. There's a reason this board is not called "Newbie Community". :D
    • Redundant are, IMO, "introduction" threads from people who are not new (both socks and regular accounts). They really don't need to be welcomed anymore.
      An exception would be someone who wants to make a "fresh start". A PM would be nice in those cases, so I don't accidentally accuse you of being a sock. ;)
    • Everything Star Wars-related is not appropriate for this forum.
      We have nine or ten movie boards - that's enough, really. ;) I will re-direct all SW-questions to the correct forum and lock those threads.
    Ok, I'm sure I forgot something now, so please feel free to add. :)

On a somewhat related note, if someone can come up with a nice forum description, I'll be happy to edit it in. :D (I'm talking about the text behind the forum name here. ;)) But I guess that should wait till we finished this debate. ;)

Jedi_Learner - you might remember what Kadue said the the last time we talked about this issue: Not yet, but maybe at a later time. ;)
    Some of the reasons why we couldn't have one have changed since then, so I'll go and ask again. Hopefully, I can tell you more in a few days. :)

//edit: typo

5. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    Kadue is no longer the head administrator, so you'll have to ask DarthSapient now because he took charge. :)

6. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Yeah, I know that he stepped down. :(

I'll talk to Gandolf, he's responsible for the banners at the moment. :)

7. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    I'll talk to Gandolf, he's responsible for the banners at the moment.

That would be quite cool, if you could make it happen, and thank-you for answering my question. :)

8. ForbiddenLove

ForbiddenLove Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2002
    I think this is a fantastic idea!! I don't have anything else to add at the moment but I'll try and think up something :D

9. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    Yeah this is an excellent idea, and with many newbies this will enable them to ask specific questions that pertain to this forum. :)

10. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Regarding the banner: I PMed Gandolf earlier today, waiting for a reply now. I'll let you know as soon as I know more. :)

I have a question for all of you: What do you think about the polls? Do you want to keep them, or should I disable them?

11. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Keep them! :)

This board is for testing, how to post and so on, right? And IMHO creating a poll is a form of posting and it is very good to have a place where you can test it, if you are not sure, how it works! :)

Or what are the reasons why it should be disabled? ?[face_plain]

(I am off for a while now, so I will probably do not reply soon.)

12. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Well, my main reason is that at least 90% of the polls we get here don't belong to the WNU forum. People seem to think they can post whatever poll they want, simply because it's not possible to post it on the right board. ;)
    But that's a good point. :)

Have a nice trip! :D

13. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    That's right! But what is more important? Less work or the possiblity to test polls?

Ok, you are the one who has more work with it, but isn't it your job to lock a poll (if it in the wrong place) and tell the poster where he better could post?

And thanks, Morgaine! :)
    (I am off now! ;) :) )

14. MASTER_OBI-DAN

MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Danke (for this thread), Morgaine! :D

In terms of the banner issue, Morgaine already knows this ( 8-} ), but I?m very, very excited about the possibility and quite supportive of the idea of the WNU getting its own banner. I really believe that a banner will take the elevated sense of community already present in the WNU to the next level. ;)

In terms of the polls issue, I agree with Morgaine that there has been past misuse of them; but like Skiara, I?d really hate to see that unique feature gone from here. ;) Also, I?d hate to see the actions of the minority adversely affect the future of the majority. :) But, in the end, it?s totally your call, Morgaine; and I?ll support your decision no matter what that is. ;)

Gute Nacht, Skiara. :D

15. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    An interesting viewpoint. :)

Just for the record, I did not suggest this because locking polls is too much work. It takes only a few seconds to lock a thread. ;)

The possibility to test the poll option is of course great, but then this is one of the last boards that has the polls option still turned on, so most users will never get to use them anyway.

I just thought people might get annoyed at all those redundant polls in here. ;)

I don't really care either way, that's why I asked. :D

Edit: Even if I disable polls, I can turn them back on any time. If someone wanted to post a poll, they could always ask me and I'd edit the board if it's an appropriate poll question. :)

16. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Even if I disable polls, I can turn them back on any time. If someone wanted to post a poll, they could always ask me and I'd edit the board if it's an appropriate poll question.
    ...but maybe they are to shy to ask or do not know that you would reopen it...

Thanks, Dan! :)
    (now I am off, ciao! ;) )

17. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Good point. :)
    As I said, polls don't bother me, and for the reasons you presented, I will not disable them. :) If they get abused too badly at some point, we can of course discuss this again. ;)

Now, some good news: We're getting our own banner!! :cool:

We won't start a banner contest immediately, because there are a few other forums who have requested one earlier than we did, but in one or two months, we should be ready to go. :D

18. Skimaniac87

Skimaniac87 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 21, 2002
    First off Morgaine, really cool thread idea. I think that making a thread where people can actually post their ideas and or problems on is a great idea because it keeps us interacted with each other on other issues that may come up in the future or past. :)

It's really good to hear that we're going to be having a new banner up and running soon, I've been looking foward to this for some time now, I remember reading about a possible banner change in the WNU forum. That's great.

About the polls that you guys were talking about earlier, I don't have a problem with them either, it's when they're abused that really bothers me. It's also a good learning progress for the newbies when the post a poll and it is locked if the poll is abused because it teaches them responsibility on checking their posts before they actually post them which I've learned over the course of five months. ;)

There's my two cents. :)

19. ForbiddenLove

ForbiddenLove Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2002
    That's fantastic that the banner will be changing!! :D :D

As far as the polls are concerned, I think along the same lines as everyone else. As long as they aren't abused then they shouldn't be disabled. If it starts to become as abuse problem, I'm sure it'll be taken care of :D.

20. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    Oh cool! :cool: the Welcome New Users forum having their own banner design, hmm...this should be quite intersting. I am already excited, I can't wait to see what things pop out! 8-} especially with all these creative minds.

21. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    "I have a question for all of you: What do you think about the polls? Do you want to keep them, or should I disable them?"

I don't really know if you should keep them or not. I like some of the polls where we are asked whether you found it difficult to navigate these forums or how your stay has been. Skiara made some good points in her post as well. There are some people that post silly polls though, although I don't want to name names. 8-}

22. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    I don't really know if you should keep them or not. I like some of the polls where we are asked whether you found it difficult to navigate these forums or how your stay has been. Skiara made some good points in her post as well. There are some people that post silly polls though, although I don't want to name names. 8-}

Yes, there are a few silly thread polls that have been posted here...perhaps those could be closed, or locked. And the ones of immediate value to this board kept open. Although you are corrct when you say that this is a place to practice posting a poll, yet shouldn't it have significant value to this forum? :confused:

23. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Usually, I do close polls if they don't belong here, just like normal threads. If you think I've missed one, please let me know. :)

About the banners - as I said, we can't have a banner contest right now, but if one of our talented artists would create a banner for us without a contest, we could get it uploaded earlier... ;) (That's what they did in the SW Community.)

24. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    It'll be cool to have our own banner here :D. If it looks anything like the current FF one, it would be teh cool :cool:. Ok, it'll be a good idea anyways, but you know what I mean ;).

On the issue of polls ... I think they should be left open, just because the people who post really redundant polls are generally the newbies, who can't be expected to know the forum rules off the bat. You get the occasional oddball who can't take the hint of course (not gonna name names) but generally they don't do that twice. Anyway, that's my two cents :)

25. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    About the banners - as I said, we can't have a banner contest right now, but if one of our talented artists would create a banner for us without a contest, we could get it uploaded earlier... ;) (That's what they did in the SW Community.)

Oh cool! :cool: If we can have it up-loaded earlier, then I say lets go for it! [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.