main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Women's Football/Soccer - Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Jun 8, 2015.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Tobin Heath has also decided not to play in the NWSL challenge Cup

I'm expecting many more to follow suit

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    @heels1785 - 538 did a great breakdown for the upcoming NWSL Challenge Cup. And, unfortunately, it highlights just how many stars are going to be missing from the tournament. But, a really good read and a great breakdown. The missing players makes it even more wide open, IMO - could see anyone (still playing) winning it.

heels1785 likes this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    good read! as long as their new additions gel without issue, i like portland and their embarrassment of riches. only concern is in net, and their backup keeper had 3 clean sheets last year when franch was at the world cup, and also started a good bit in the w-league.

qualifying schedule is set up to make life very difficult for the top four (especially chicago, who gets portland/washington/nc/utah) by forcing them to play each other. should make for great soccer early, and build some visibility. ordered cbs all-access last night, ready to roll.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Australia and New Zealand are getting the Women's 2023 Women's World Cup.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    surprises in the thorns' lineup, esp in net. sophia smith also hurt, morgan weaver on the bench. courage running 4-2-2-2 mostly like they have for the last three yrs, sans mccall zerboni (now w/ sky blue).

ps while looking to boo hinkle, she's now jaelene daniels.

6. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    bit sluggish of a game between Portland and NC, but it’s the first game back

of course as I’m typing, NC just scored

hope Sinclair gets couple more opportunities for a goal

heels1785 likes this.
  7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    yeah, could tell the heat/altitude/layoff really had an impact late. portland too reliant on horan, I don't know why she played a full 90 - injury scare was real on that head clash with mewis. thought they could offset tobin more effectively than they did.

lynn williams botched an early gift, but she and debinha were in great form. thought bixby was heroic in net for portland, under attack for much of the game.

starfish likes this.
  8. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    yeah Portland’s going to miss Tobin Heath this year

heels1785 likes this.
  9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

the love being shown in this iconic shot is wonderful - the side-eye from watt at the random idiot teammate standing is an added bonus. taken during the pregame national anthem.

--

kealia watt's first few touches for chicago nearly led to a goal. sam kerr is irreplaceable, but red stars should still be potent up front.

rose with a big goal off a bad rebound from naeher, wow! great start.

Rew, Darth McClain and Juliet316 like this.
  10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    gamecock legend savannah mccaskill playing at midfield for chicago today against the thorns. good for a few reasons - saying this only as a compliment, she's built like a tank and does not get knocked off of the ball. second, she's not always quick enough to play up front, which is what led to the meltdown with kerr last year in the final. she's high-energy, and is a good fill-in to allow ertz to rest, as she is today.

sauerbrunn out with a hip injury for portland, which stinks. morgan weaver has been impressive in her first start for the thorns.

Rew likes this.
  11. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    looks like a nil nil draw, still no goals for Sinclair

Weaver definitely looks like a good fit for Portland squad

heels1785 likes this.
  12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

what a backheel, wonderful interplay

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Happy anniversary of this badassery

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

i count one possible yellow card for dahlkemper, at least that for abby erceg.

wonderful play from watt. chicago should have gotten a penalty out of it, if not a woman advantage.

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Terrible no call to not give a card to Dahlkemper, but I get the no penalty. She had opportunity to score, that wasn't denied. She would have been better served to go down on contact and not shoot, as bad as that sounds

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    knockout rounds start today! thorns/courage this afternoon, royals/dash tonight. tomorrow afternoon is spirit/sky blue, and nightcap is reign/red stars.

my pick to win it all is the #8 seed in a field of 8, lol.

[​IMG]

Juliet316 and DarthIntegral like this.
  18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Somewhere, high ranking FIFA officials are watching this tournament where the group stage took us from eight teams down to eight teams and thinking about changes to future World Cups.

I am sticking with my pick of The Royals, quasi-hosts, to win it

heels1785 likes this.
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    morgan weaver is dynamite

thorns up 1-0 with about 15 to play, LFG

edit - courage are one-and-done. eeyore lives

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    And there's the final whistle. The favorites are out in the first game of the knockout stages. Knockout football can be incredibly cruel.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    best game of the tournament that i've seen. britt eckerstrom was exceptional in net.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Portland probably deserved at least three goals, if not more. Eckerstrom was fantastic. I'm curious to see what their xG was for the game.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    The somehow unemployed Grant Wahl breaking the news of NWSL expansion to L.A. and featuring a star studded ownership group

@DarthTunick , you should be seriously excited for this, amigo

24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    It’s niiiiice to have local legend Serena involved.

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    dash into the final. lost their all-time leading scorer in the offseason, didn't replace her, now beating everyone.

although I'll pull for chicago in the other semi, the chaotic awesomeness of a houston dash-sky blue final in this tournament has great appeal. not only two of the bottom three from last year, but neither club has been in the top half of the table since 2015.

DarthIntegral likes this.