main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Women's Football/Soccer - Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Jun 8, 2015.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    ACFC released the names of their backers - um, holy crap. Joining Natalie Portman are:

Mia Hamm, Abby Wambach, Julie Foudy, Lauren Holiday, Serena Williams, Eva Longoria, Jessica Chastain, Jennifer Garner, Alexis Ohanian, Billie Jean King, Cobi Jones, Lindsay Vonn, PK Subban, Candace Parker, and James Corden. Some others I've never heard of, but I'm sure are wonderful.

Unreal to have that kind of power behind an NWSL club. League is about to skyrocket, I think.

Juliet316 and DarthIntegral like this.
  2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The NWSL is bringing back the Challenge Cup next year. That gets a hells yeah from me. Going to stage it before the regular season - either in a bubble, two bubbles, or at home stadia, depending on public health officials recommendations.

heels1785 and Juliet316 like this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    netherlands:

[​IMG]

first time we've seen the dutch since the world cup final. should be a really good one - lynn williams with a huge opportunity to flex the class she shows in nwsl on a much larger stage.

morgan available from the bench. she has one or two appearances for spurs thusfar, so could potentially be a late sub.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Wow. The Utah Royals are relocating to Kansas City ... Where the franchise previously was, before a relocation to Utah.

Kinda hope they keep the Royals monicker (they won't) and at minimum don't go back to the boring FCKC.

PCCViking and heels1785 like this.
  5. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    i hate to see SLC losing their team. as weird (and occasionally awful) as the state of utah itself is, royals had a loyal fanbase.

with o'hara being dealt yesterday, most of their core is gone. KC is a great soccer town, hopefully are patient with a rebuilding team for a year or two.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I am sorry to Utah but soooo happy for me. I will definitely be going to some games once we can.

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    IIRC, the original ownership group based in Kansas City had an agreement with the group that owns SKC, and everything was in place for them to use the same facility as Swope Park Rangers and defer a ton of cost through shared services. But, USL changed minimum capacity requirements, and Swope Park Rangers couldn't use the facility and maintain status with the league, so they had to start using Children's Mercy Park, leaving FCKC as sole tenant, and absorbing higher costs. Somewhere in there, FCKC was sold to an owner out of Minneapolis, who pledged to keep the team there, but didn't want the higher costs without SPR. So, he sold to the racist scumbag in Utah, who was now forced to sell everything - MLS club, USL club, NWSL club and two stadiums - for being more publicly racist than Don Garber could publicly be okay with.

So now, they move back with KC located ownership ready to support them.

But, yes, this really sucks for Utah soccer fans in so many ways. Hopefully, they find ownership and get an expansion team, because that's a great soccer market and they turned out well for the Royals

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    FIFPro names Megan Rapinoe to the Women's Best XI for 2020, and Rapinoe's response is "I had no idea I was even eligible, I haven't played in nine months"

I'm not sure if it says more about Rapinoe and her class, or the sad state of affairs for those who cover the game, that they can't find someone to vote into the Best XI who played a game in the final nine months of the year.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    ugh. nwsl named her to the best xi for 2019, as well, and she barely played outside of the world cup.

nothing but respect for megan and what she's done for the game - give her every career accomplishment trophy you can think of - but there are lot of lesser known, more deserving players would gain a lot from this sort of recognition.

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    spurs has announced that alex morgan's loan will end on january 1st, and she'll return to the united states (presumably to prepare for an upcoming nwsl season).

my guess is that press/heath/lavelle/mewis stay on for the remainder of the campaign with united and city. spurs is having a very poor season, with no real shot at the wsl title - not much upside for morgan to stay in london, especially with a newborn.

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Mallory Pugh headed to Chicago from Sky Blue. Great get for Chicago - seems like she has talent that surpasses her performance, but her performance and stats are up there just fine. And, she's still so young.

heels1785 likes this.
  12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    her second move in two years, wow. youre right, though - lots of talent there. if she links up well with ohai and rachel hill, red stars will be right back near the top of the league.

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    portland's signed crystal dunn away from NC, and extended horan. dahlkemper will be leaving NC for manchester city on a 2-year deal.

courage offloading their big contracts, must have been hit especially hard by the pandemic.

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    incredibly bold move in the draft tonight by kansas city. gave sky blue 175K(!) in allocation money to move into the first round and take kiki pickett, two-time national champion at stanford - she'll be a great replacement for kelley o'hara (potentially on both kc and the uswnt some day), but is playing her spring season at stanford. may not see much of her this year, and of course there's always the risk of injury.

louisville is drafting well, taking players who will contribute immediately and have credibility from top college programs. spirit selected dennis rodman's daughter, trinity, #2 overall - has starred for the u-20s, but goes pro having not played a minute for washington state.

DarthIntegral and Juliet316 like this.
  15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Heelsy, I found you a new icon.

[​IMG]

Damn fine performance tonight

heels1785 likes this.
  16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    i had no idea kristie was older than sam. i hope she gets some more opportunities after this. great game tonight, indeed.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    WNT a bit lucky get a win their SheBelieves Cup opener against Canada.

The defending was exposed a few times, and Canada had a few good chances to put one away, plus calls for a penalty that would have been justified in giving, that could have caused the points to be shared or even for Canada to win.

More concerning is the women just didn't have the clinical finishing we've gotten used to seeing from them. They'll need to improve that part of their game against Brazil if they want to win that one and be on track to win this mini tournament.

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Didn't get a chance to watch last night - read that Lloyd started, which I found weird. Hopefully can catch a rerun over the weekend, next game is Sunday afternoon. Weird to not have England in the tournament this year, first time in its history iirc. Understandable, of course.

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I didn't get a chance to watch it either. I recorded it then didn't have time.

I did become a founding member of the KC NWSL team and got my awesome scarf yesterday. Excited for when tickets go on sale.

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    the intyheels special today. goal for press, goal for rapinoe, and a win. as dominant as ive seen this team since pre-covid, when cp was in her top form.

argentina hanging with canada, bit unexpected.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    And no one flawlessly nails the goal celebration quite like Rapinoe

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    chelsea women are through to the last four in the champions league. fran kirby and sam kerr are as dangerous a pairing up front as any in the world.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    second nwsl challenge cup begins on friday - last year's tournament was played in a bubble at the royals' old stadium, this year will be full travel to home/away sites of all ten teams. regular season starts right after that.

most of the games will be streamed on paramount+, but cbsn will run the tournament opener and a few key matchups, and cbs will televise the final.

lots of the top uswnt and international talent are still playing in europe and will not feature in 2021, and there's a fifa window that overlaps the first few weeks, but if their teams can make it deep into the tournament, chance that alex morgan and some others can play in the knockout stages.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    sky blue has rebranded, immediately, to (ny/nj) gotham fc

[​IMG]

slick logo. they're loaded with young talent - if the funding and mls partnership works out, they'll soon be contenders every year. carli lloyd transitioning from player to manager would be the last piece of the puzzle, i think.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I seriously thought I'd posted about the rebranding a few days ago. Clearly, I'm losing it.

That's easily the best rebrand in American soccer in the last ten years, probably longer. Especially when you consider that Sky Blue told you nothing about the team, and rebranding as literally anything would have improved. But then, they just nailed it. And, if I'm not mistaken, it comes with a permanent relocation to Red Bull Arena.

heels1785 likes this.