main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Woody Allen, among others]Can you separate a person's art, work and/or career from their actions?

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Feb 3, 2014.

?

Can you separate a person's art, work and/or career from their actions?

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. NO

11 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    slightly_unhinged, I do find it funny that "bumming a fag" is a phrase that could have two meanings but only ever just means 'securing a cigarette'.

2. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I did chuckle when you used the phrase "bum a fag" earlier.

My friend's dad did a lecture tour in the States in the 80s and, without knowing that 'fag' was US slang for anything, described the public school fagging system to a horrified audience of economics majors. He couldn't figure out why people's jaws were dropping as he explained how senior boys at a school would each take a younger boy to be their fag, and how the fags would take the role of servant to the elder boy, shining his shoes, making his tea and toasting his crumpets.

Ender Sai likes this.
  3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Prince George: I say, Blackadder, are you sure this is the PM? Seems more like an oily tick to me. When I was at school, we used to line up four or five of his sort, make 'em bend over, and use 'em as a toast rack.
    Pitt the Younger: It doesn't surprise me, sir, I know your sort. Once, it was I who stood in the big, cold schoolroom, a hot crumpet burning my cheeks with shame. Since that day, I have been busy every hour God sent, working to become Prime Minister and fight sloth and privilege wherever I found it.

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I do feel sorry for our American cousins. Taking offense is their wont, and they obviously don't know what it's like to grow up having a fag toast their crumpets.

5. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    They are an unfortunate bunch. When I say 'public school' I'm pretty sure they envisage a comprehensive school rather than Eton, Harrow or Winchester. Being a pleb, I didn't go to public school, so missed out on having a fag to keep my crumpets warm. I did, however, spend much of my youth bumming fags. I also used to enjoy faggots in gravy.

Ender Sai likes this.
  6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I went to a Greater Public School, but fagging was long out of fashion by this point. However, boys would often bum fags behind the toilet block, hoping to avoid the shame of discovery should a member of staff happen upon them.

7. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    People always went behind the bike sheds to bum fags at my school. Every breaktime we were out there. Happy days.

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I very much doubt that we'll ever find out the truth here.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

It sounds like, in the Commonwealth at least, bumming fags is a rite of passage for young boys.

10. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Yep. Can't call yourself a man unless you've bummed a fag or two.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Humor so cutting-edge it brings back fond memories of my homophobic junior high school days.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    slightly_unhinged, the dour chap above this post is the 'ealth and Safety officer of the JC.

13. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014

Homophobe or not, if you'd attended a British school you'd have been used as a crumpet rack

[​IMG]

Ender Sai likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Perhaps he meant "homophonic"? His junior high school days were little with crumpets and homophony?

15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Damn it guys, make a separate linguistic minded thread about all of that already.

:p

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I feel like you are attacking British culture in a most racist fashion, Tunick. As slightly_unhinged and I recall fond days of yesteryear, where we bummed countless fags on trains and behind school buildings, you become increasingly uncomfortable and seek to denigrate our lifestyle.

17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    No, it's just that you have an annoying habit of completely derailing every thread you post in.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Just so I know, which days are you not a cranky, prematurely old lady? I will pencil in time to check those days out. This thread was already long over; most people seem to believe Woody Allen molested Dylan Farrow and Wocky wants to debate operas he's never heard of before Google, much less actually heard.

Shall we go back to that point harps? Because I can't begin to tell you how fun it is to debate an opera I've seen twice live with someone who hadn't heard of it til Google helped them out.

19. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Racist!

Ender Sai likes this.
  20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I hereby knight thee "Sir Who Dishes Out the ****, but Can't Take it."

Ender Sai likes this.
  21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    You guys seriously need to bum some fags.

harpua likes this.
  22. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Get a room, the lot of you.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    this is it. this is their room. if anything we're intruding.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Please don't leave me with them.

25. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    shhh! don't scare them away by letting them know we're watching

ender, you called her a cranky, prematurely old lady and she called you "Sir Who Dishes Out the Douchbaggery, but Can't Take it."

go on

Ender Sai likes this.