main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Woody Allen, among others]Can you separate a person's art, work and/or career from their actions?

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Feb 3, 2014.

?

Can you separate a person's art, work and/or career from their actions?

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. NO

11 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Woody Allen, allegedly. Dylan Farrow is his adopted daughter.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Certainly not.

Mine is a very black and white world sometimes, Ender. Not all the time, but I can be absolutist about many things and this is one of them.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Hi Josh! I hope you've also burned your Rolf Harris CDs.

4. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Who's Rolf Harris?

5. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Some mod favourite.

halibut and Ender Sai like this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Roman Polanski
    Rappers
    Josh Brolin
    Arnold Schwarzenegger
    Mel Gibson
    Bob Orci
    Any of the Hollywood Republicans

Where does it end? :p

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I know that; but it's an allegation. Moviefan must have had proof of the crime, which I think is great since it'll result in a conviction. Have you shared it with police, Moviefan?

KnightWriter - Wagner's probably one of the most innovative composers in Western Art Music. You're missing out and essentially doing so because Hitler liked him. If Hitler hadn't, we'd hear as much of his anti-Semitism as we do the anti-Semitism of Karl Marx, a figure you also must despise.

8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Lostprophets are OK though, right David?

9. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't give a damn, Ender. It's my likes and dislikes and it doesn't have to fit any kind of logical scheme, and definitely not yours.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I have no idea what a Lostprophet is besides a likely JC troll.

"What the hell is a Huge Ackman?!?"

11. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Google it, Dave, I double dog dare ya.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So you hate Marx too right KW?

Actually this is one instance where I think I had one of their albums, and binned it. Huh. I do have limits.

jp-30 likes this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Since I may or may not have SafeSearch turned off... I never take those dares!

14. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Ender, you are not going to bait me into one of your logical traps. I don't watch anything, I don't listen to much, I don't read much. I take pictures. That is all. That is my life. I miss out on a lot, I would say. And, you know, I'm fine with that.

DarthTunick and jp-30 like this.
  15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Lostprophets were a Welsh band, but despite this they didn't engage in close-harmony singing. More kinda... alternative metally punk crap, really. I had one of their albums, and I ashamed of this. Anyway, singer Ian Watkins pleaded guilty to a shedload of child rape allegations about a month ago. The band has been tarred by that connection, which is unfair on them but the singer's a scumbag. Plus, Welsh.

EDIT: I'm not trying to bait you, KW. But if you're an absolutist you already know your response is an emotional, not logical one which sounds to me like you give Marx a free pass (because it's politically expedient for you to do so). So I start thinking that what could have been a principled stance looks increasingly self-serving, like "I am that committed to social justice I won't go near any regressive thoughts! Look at how caring I am!"

I'd actually prefer to give you the benefit of the doubt, because you're not an idiot KW. I'd also not thought you the binary type, genuinely.

jp-30 likes this.
  16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Watkins conspired with two of his groupies for them to give him their babies so he could rape them. He thinks that's it's not that bad and the whole thing is "mega lulz". I did some local promotion of their albums back in the day when I worked for Sony, and may well have met them when they played a local music festival. It makes me feel dirty.

17. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Actually, I do have a free pass to give to whomever I wish, because I need answer only to myself. So, good day to you :).

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Well it's more than that. Since at least 2006 (that I read about) he was consistently recruiting targets via their mothers. Consistent predatory behavior, of which the mothers were willing participants.

Since getting arrested he has perfected the seedy rapist look.

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Thank God my favorite musician only went on a drunken racist rant in the 1970's and supports Enoch Powell. [face_dancing]

jp-30 likes this.
  20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Hey hey hey, ain't nobody here said Watkins was their favourite. Except maybe dp4m.

But yeah, I think you do need to separate the artist from their art; the alternative would be not listening to, say, Aphex Twin because he was born a redhead.

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Eww, Evan, that sounds like somebody I could never get behind.

22. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Ender Sai With all this Wagner talk, I just have to share this classic moment (which you've probably seen already, but still :p ) from Curb:

I voted yes... all the crimes, iffy circumstances, and terrible personal traits are different, so the exact amount of uneasiness I've got with certain athletes, entertainers, etc, varies, but there's always some there. I've never much cared to see any of Allen's work before (I've only seen one film of his, which was Radio Days. I very much like that film), but I've always found the man to be extremely creepy, so as sickening as it is to hear about Dylan's claims, it's not all that surprising. Gary Glitter is a known pederast, but I still from time-to-time enjoy listening to Rock & Roll Part 2. Kobe Bryant has done a lot for my beloved basketball team, but there's always a thought in my mind that wonders why he felt the need to do what he did in Colorado in the summer of '03. Michael Jackson's issues are well known, but a lot of his music is greatly done & enjoyable.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

What's a Watkins?

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Diet. Carbs and nobody over 12.

Too soon jp-30

jp-30 likes this.
  25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA