main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Wookieepedia, the Star Wars wiki

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Le_Sammler, Jul 10, 2005.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm saying he does know insofar as they have an official answer, but their official answer is "don't worry about it right now"--maybe there's a 2% chance that five years from now they'll decide that it can work in canon after all, so why go out of their way to disown it now? Their job isn't "to officially document the universe", that's the wook's job--and he's made it very clear they don't work that way.

2. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Personally I love that they're taking a more laissez-faire approach to canon questions. There have been too many times in the past where Lucasfilm has seemingly been bullied into answers (many of which ended up being weird, because the questions were weird - look no further than "is Star Tours canon???) so I'm glad their approach now is "wait and see."

And I say that as a wiki editor, and therefore someone who would obviously benefit from concrete answers all the time. For me, though, canon and wiki editing is secondary to my enjoyment of the franchise. So the "wait and see" approach is cool with me.

3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    But Star Tours used to be canon. It's not weird to everyone. Ask McFadden, Peña and Wallace what they think of it. I don't see why, just because it's a ride, it can't be a source of lore.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  4. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It can be; as can every iota of Legends even now--the point is not to require it to be a 100% accurate thing that exists/happens IU, which was ostensibly the Legends approach to canon.

5. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Bingo.

Star Wars Rebels pulled from it, for example, with the droid pilot and the Star Speeder 2000. And that's a great little nod to the ride, and a way of pulling in the ride's lore. Which is a much better approach than trying to canonically explain a third Death Star like it was actually a thing that happened in the history of the galaxy.

6. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    To each his own. You can deride Abel Peña's attempt at explaining DS III if you want, but I certainly won't. Not just because I like it, but also because he did because he actually wanted to, not because he felt "forced" to explain things.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Post a link to it. I looked for it on his feed and didn't find anything.

8. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    I'm not deriding anyone or anyone's efforts.

I get that people are passionate about Legends and the old approach of "we'll figure out how to make everything work" but that doesn't mean that lauding the new approach is derisive to the old way.

9. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I know. I'm just being bitter, that's all. And you know, it's a good thing that you and like-minded editors have become more and more prominent on Wookieepedia, because folks like me won't be part of the next round for too long.

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    If you think I'm remotely dismissive of Abel I just don't know what to tell you.

11. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I was referring to Brandon's "trying to canonically explain a third Death Star like it was actually a thing that happened in the history of the galaxy."

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, but I took his side. :p

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  14. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    It's certainly clever. There's just a distinction to be drawn between "that's a clever explanation" and "there never needed to be an explanation in the first place."

Those are not mutually exclusive opinions.

(Not suggesting that's what you were saying Iron Lord. Just using your link as the example.)

Valin__Kenobi and Vthuil like this.
  15. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Oh, I won't even try and pull a General Organa. I lost this war a long time ago.

16. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Actually, I glanced through Bloodlines just now, and found that it does all but outright name Jaina as Rogue Leader. Niathal gives Jacen command of a fighter group, which includes the squadron "that your sister commands." That squadron is later shown to be Rogue Squadron. So I guess Wookieepedia wasn't actually that crazy to connect the dots and name Jaina as Rogue Leader.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody know why the wookiee' have no full body shot of any Mrlssi using the pre WotC's Alien Anthology design?

It could be a question of loan words, there is already an existing word for the meaning of a 'kamino' but people use it because it is in fashion or they don't know the other.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  18. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I've been looking into Scipio as of late. According to Wookieepedia, up until June 30 the planet was in the Core Worlds. In New Canon it's still in the Core Worlds but for some reason after June 30 the planet changed to be in the Outer Rim, Imperial Space. What happened? Do we have a mobile planet on our hands?

As for Rogue Squadron, I thought it was under Caedus' complete command, even going as far as opening fire on Wedge.

19. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Of course, Scipio must be Starkiller Base!

They're both icy planets, and now it's moved.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [face_sigh]People, there is an difference between ice and taiga, just as there is an difference between ice and tundra or forest and jungle.

darklordoftech and Dinos4Ever like this.
  21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999

22. RogueSix

RogueSix Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2015
    Idiot in the room here...what is taiga?

darklordoftech likes this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    from Wikipedia:

Taiga (/ˈtɡə/; Russian: тайга́; IPA: [tɐjˈɡa]; from Turkic[1]) also known as boreal forest or snow forest, is a biome characterized by coniferous forests consisting mostly of pines, spruces and larches.

The taiga is the world's largest terrestrial biome. In North America it covers most of inland Canada and Alaska as well as parts of the extreme northern continental United States (northern Minnesota through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to Upstate New York and northern New England), where it is known as the Northwoods.[2] In Eurasia, it covers most of Sweden, Finland, much of Norway, some lowland/coastal areas of Iceland, much of Russia from Karelia in the west to the Pacific Ocean (including much of Siberia), and areas of northern Kazakhstan, northern Mongolia, and northern Japan (on the island of Hokkaidō). However, the main tree species, the length of the growing season and summer temperatures vary. For example, the taiga of North America mostly consists of spruces; Scandinavian and Finnish taiga consists of a mix of spruce, pines and birch; Russian taiga has spruces, pines and larches depending on the region, while the Eastern Siberian taiga is a vast larch forest.

A different use of the term taiga is often encountered in the English language, with "boreal forest" used in the United States and Canada to refer to only the more southerly part of the biome, while "taiga" is used to describe the more barren areas of the northernmost part of the biome approaching the tree line and the tundra biome. Hoffman (1958) discusses the origin of this differential use in North America and why it is an inappropriate differentiation of the Russian term. Although at high elevations taiga grades into alpine tundra through Krummholz, it is not an alpine biome only like subalpine forest, and much of taiga is lowlands.

darklordoftech and RogueSix like this.
  24. RogueSix

RogueSix Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2015

Learn something new everyday. Thanks.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Glad to be of help