main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Wookieepedia, the Star Wars wiki

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Le_Sammler, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    lol and they still recognize Muunilinst on the OS Databank, so we can't even pass this off as a Moraband/Korriban deal.

2. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    So what was even the reasoning for moving it to the Outer Rim? Can't be because it's the IGBC HQ because they also have an HQ on Aargau and that's in the Core.

3. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    It's still in the Core, according to Ultimate SW.

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Yeah, he has command of the entire battle group in Bloodlines, and later the entire fleet as Chief of State. Jaina is explicitly said to be commanding Rogue Squadron (which is a part of Jacen's battle group) in Bloodlines, and the CSWE outright names her as Rogue Leader, thanks to some copying and pasting from the Wook. Jacen suspends her, and by Fury, Lensi is serving as Rogue Leader.

Rogue Squadron is a great interest of mine, and yesterday, out of boredom, I... I... I actually logged into the Wook and made some additions to the Legends Rogue Squadron article... dear Waru, what have I done...

Also, I'm glad to see that they've already been ID'd as Rogue Squadron (and not just Rogue Group) in the new canon. It'll be really interesting to see how their new story unfolds.

Kylun and darklordoftech like this.
  5. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    But has that been decanonised?
    Pablo's tweets aren't canon, parts of Ultimate SW aren't canon.
    "This is getting out of hand".

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Do you seriously believe that tweets should be canon? Have you seen Twitter?

7. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Well some anyway. Pablo's answer definitely.
    Most of twitter is just well you know.

It gets frustrating do we rely on that information? Should we trust it?

8. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    It was more of a clear-cut situation in the old canon, when Leland was the Keeper of the Holocron and would tweet something like "Yeah, that's the name of the planet/ship/species/whatever." That was him explicitly telling us what was in the Holocron, so treating it as canonical on the Wook was fair game. As for Pablo... well, I don't pay that much attention, so I don't know what his official title is. Also he seems to have more of a sense of humor in his tweets, and more of an attitude like the one Brandon espoused a few days ago --- dedicated to knowing all the details but primarily concerned with the telling of a good story. And that's the way I'd much rather have it.

CooperTFN and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    And even with Leland in the old days, as you say--he was just relaying info that existed in the Holocron already, not making judgment calls. Pablo says the same thing now; he only answers questions to clarify stuff that's already out there, but not to reveal new information, and certainly not to make sweeping declarations. Being on SG doesn't give anyone the Word of God.

10. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    To me, the whole Nu-Canon situation killed the whole enjoyment of seeing bits of the franchise connect, and Wookieepedia shows it too. They named one cantina character in Canon but not in Legends, while leaving those identified before without names - how's one supposed to manage them now?. Sourcebooks mention both post-ROTJ EU and Lothal from Rebels, making it easier for Wookieepedia not to bother with them at all. Not to mention that the origins of once well-defined characters are now a blank state, as well as some of their personalities. Who cares if Delta Squad was in TCW for 20 seconds? Does it matter if that is canon when their personalities, relationships and missions from the original game aren't?

As a person who found joy in connections even if the particular works weren't that great by themselves, it's easier for me to just stay away from the stuff they now define as "Canon" (yes, even the movie). It's very clear that the old EU is very much dead in the eyes of the public now and the new generation won't even have to consider it except as the occasional footnote in a list article. No need to read decades-old comic strips, dust off old videogames that won't even launch on current platforms or dig through RPG modules of a defunct game system. None of that stuff matters to the characters you see on screen anyway.

The only thing that still holds my interest in SW alive for now is SWTOR, which keeps throwing around familiar names at you and just feels... right. (What do you mean lightsaber crystals are now called "Kyber crystals" in Canon? Well, screw you too!) Once in a few years it's inevitably done, the time might be to close a book for this particular franchise, despite it by that time being a media Juggernaut on par with Marvel. Though I always liked the movies, it was the unbelievable richness of the universe that kept me invested; it started with ROTS novelization, which was both an amazing work of art and a wellspring of references to other works to explore. The new "Canon" universe they're building is both way too small for someone who's been around for long and feels too unfamiliar to the old EU to start investing in.

11. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    As a Wookieepedian, I can tell you that my personal answer to "How are we supposed to manage that?" or, more specifically, "How is Wookieepedia supposed to manage that?" is "Who cares?"

My perspective is one that I've said on the Wook many times (and Lelal knows this because I've said it to him before too!) and that's this: Star Wars merchandise (that is to say, non-movie/comic/novel/narrative material) is not nor should it be written to cater to people who are trying to document or tie all materials together in one perfect canon. That includes Wookieepedia.

The way I see it, and this is just my perspective as an outsider looking in, what matters to the Story Group in terms of the one happy, cohesive canon is actual stories. It's not about the card games, or the random sourcebooks that draw from both canon and Legends (which I define as existing in the meta, where it's just documenting Star Wars facts rather than a particular continuity), or whatever. The question that I ask myself when personally judging canon is, is there a unique story that's being told here? If so, that's what matters most to me, the storyline.

When it comes to Wookieepedia or any other site, group, person, etc that wants to document canon, figuring out how to document the rest is and should be up to them. Lucasfilm isn't responsible for deciding what works and what doesn't for a wiki.

Now, I know that was terse so please don't mistake my bluntness for dismissing your point of view. You have a very fair-minded post, and there's certainly nothing wrong with wanting it all to interact more seamlessly. It's just a perspective I don't happen to share.

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Seconded. They're called "Story Group," not "Brand Group" or "Intellectual Property Group."

13. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004

Excuse me for one moment, I'm just making a mental note to steal that line.

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Thank you ^:)^

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Now if they want to form a Starship Length Group we can talk.

16. Delta Scepter

Delta Scepter Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2014
    New Canon Material??

[​IMG]

I got this book from Costco on Christmas. Could this be a new source of canon material for the Wikia? It was released in 2015, it has both the Disney and Lucasfilm logos, and it was edited by J.W. Rinzler.

vstarvan and darklordoftech like this.
  17. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    That's interesting. It's hard to make out, but the sticker seems to say "limited edition" so I'm assuming it's just a reprint of the old VD with a limited edition cover. Can't seem to find anything about it online, though. What's its ISBN?

18. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    Accidental double post

19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The only "Complete Visual Dictionary" I'm aware of is this one from 2006, so yeah, I'd guess it's a reissuing of an old book--therefore, not reliably canon.

20. Delta Scepter

Delta Scepter Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2014
    It says "Includes a limited edition print" which is a small poster of Ben vs Vader.

21. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I was more of asking for the reasoning to move it to the Outer Rim in Legends. It never was in the Outer Rim in Legends, from it's earliest mention in like 2006 or so. It was always in the Core Worlds. So for what purpose was it done?

22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Who knows at this point, why was Rodia moved by TCW? We barely even know why Korriban was renamed and Mandalore was completely changed by TCW.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Because George wanted to.

24. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Because George wanted to is one of the most frustrating things and has put a real damper on my interest in Star Wars. That was the only explanation offered for TCW in TERC, which isn't good enough of a reason. There also wasn't supposed to be Sith or dark siders in the NJO according to TERC, but that didn't stop Vergere and Darth Vader II from happening.

DarthJaceus and Darthmaul208 like this.
  25. Chunkydumb

Chunkydumb Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    Is it known why FreiTek Incorporated only have a Legends page on the Wookie, even know they are confirmed canon in the Visual Dictionary?