main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Wookieepedia, the Star Wars wiki

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Le_Sammler, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Could be worse....Could be the Doctor Who wiki ;)

2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Gamma includes fan fiction as well.

Star Trek's Books/Games/Comics have never been as popular as they are in Star Wars, they're also straight up non-canon (none of the 'levels of canon' like Legends, or just canon in general like new canon), so those Wikis have a lot less people maintaining them than Memory-Alpha

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    And which one would get the Freemakers?

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Lego Canon.

5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    So a third tab. :p

Alpha-Red likes this.
  6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Bingo!

7. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Didn't they try the LEGO tag and then got rid of it for no reason?

8. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
  9. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    The Freemaker Adventures are in an oddity known as pseudo-canon. Makes you wonder if we'll see the Canon events of Rowan Freemaker and his siblings. After all, I loved Luke's part in first season because NO ONE felt like actually writing about him.

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  11. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Other than the paucity of current info on some Canon pages, my main issue when toggling back and forth between the two is the lack of a BTS section on way too many Canon pages, or a too-basic one that lacks some of the info on the Legends version which applies to both. Often the Legends page will have a lot more about early film appearances of characters and species etc. that the Canon page lacks, but which are equally relevant. In fact I tend to think the Legends BTS sections could usually be ported over to the Canon page on a great many things, with a note of how the subject entered Canon, because from the OOU perspective the development of Canon things that were created in Legends and shaped by Legends creators is really useful context.

Obviously this would be a horrible idea for main characters and big story points, but when looking up species (which I often do) it's kind of annoying that if I want to know about who sculpted the original mask or in what source the species was named, I have to toggle over to Legends.

Valin__Kenobi, FS26 and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  12. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Story of my life on Old Wookieepedia.

13. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Someone mustn't have liked your idea. I liked it cause it meant it cleaned up the pages.

One thing to do that I remember proposing but you did decline was the Unnamed Characters pages similar to Memory-Alpha, saying it suited their format but not Wookieepedia. Big problem is the large number of orphan pictures, particularly from ROTJ's rebel briefing room, without pages. Perhaps we could make it work :) A group project and the information is there to perhaps one day convince a higher-up in Lucasfilm to know these unnamed characters exist :D

14. Immi Thrax

Immi Thrax Jedi Knight

Apr 4, 2021
    Oh god I'm glad that was a joke, I was like, "@CooperTFN WHY DID YOU--ooooh okay." Y'all go a ways back, huh?

We've got one! "Unidentified individuals." Though that doesn't solve the orphans problem... I don't actually know how to check which pictures aren't in use. Individual pictures tell you under "File usage" if it isn't used anywhere. I wonder if there even is a way.

15. Immi Thrax

Immi Thrax Jedi Knight

Apr 4, 2021
    More seriously, though: seeing how many years this went back and how long people had been dealing with a lot of the exact same problems really put into perspective for me just how much people felt they couldn't speak out on the site because Those Two could, would, and did retaliate for it, including retaliating for speaking here. I really appreciated seeing I wasn't alone in my frustrations, and the statement of solidarity. Thank you ❤️

16. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
  17. Immi Thrax

Immi Thrax Jedi Knight

Apr 4, 2021
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  18. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    So I never did get to see the evidence those two admins had that I and Havac were running a secret behind-the-scenes conspiracy against them. I guess I'll never know now...

19. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    First I've heard of a conspiracy on Wookieepedia...

20. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    It was when forum poster Valiento was banned for some good-faith editing by the pair of them, I went to look into it and emailed some of the other admins. Of course, the two-who-will-not-be-named tore into me, demanding that I reveal the plot I'd cooked up on the forums here (along with Havac, apparently) all because I didn't enter the IRC chat which apparently had become the place where all official business was done, despite never being put up for approval from the mods ever.

I became disengaged from the place shortly after that and Star Wars itself not long after.

21. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Ah, the IRC chatroom. Where the old guard could would plan site policy in private rather than on the public forums, ensuring that the general membership wouldn't have any say in how things took shape, and then throw it into a Consensus Track complete with pseudo-threatening comments about how they hoped that nobody would derail it by voting against it or even questioning it. And it was often done in private IRC rooms, too, because the public one was too public for their liking.

But sure, they were the victims of conspiracies...

And ah yes, the inexplicable hatred they had for these forums (and years before social justice became our thing, too). Because the Wook admins who were sensible and open-minded about things like Hav, Hydro, and Fourdot all posted here, ergo there was an evil JCF plot to take over the Wook.

Good times.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  22. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Maybe they and the other admins should've focused on the vandalism I have to had to revert on. I didn't care about anything so long as I contributed where I could. I then went to LewisR for aid in anything despite not being an admin because they helped with the whole sourcing stuff.

23. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    I've come around on that, mainly out of necessity. Our assessment (at Fandom) is that stub pages are going to be penalized by Google Core Web Vitals (a massive new algorithm update coming out soon). So it's worth reconsidering something like this, like combining lots of pages with barely any info into larger pages.

Noash_Retrac likes this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    How would you combine things? Just curious

25. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    I admittedly have not given it any thought in regards to Wookieepedia so this is completely off the cuff, but, going for some sort of analog to Memory Alpha, I could see pages like "Unidentified Rebel Alliance individuals" and then each unnamed character that fits that criteria has their own section on the page.

Here's a Memory Alpha example: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Unnamed_Humans_(24th_century)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021