main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Wookieepedia, the Star Wars wiki

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Le_Sammler, Jul 10, 2005.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    "experiences" o_O

Daneira likes this.
  2. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    "User experience" is the correct term lol

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean, as long as it doesn't clog things up I don't mind multiple buttons with the same function. Look at this site- there's four separate buttons for TFN main and four for the JCF home page.

Brandon Rhea likes this.
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Brandon, you seem like a nice guy and all (and you're incredibly tolerant with this thread's oft-negative take on the Wook)... but sometimes I do wonder what the going rate for your soul was.

Malachi108 likes this.
  5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Wookieepedia looks great with the new look in dark mode IMO
    [​IMG]

Not sure what you're getting at here. What does that term have to do with it lol

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  6. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    ...what term?

I'm (mostly) joking that working with Fandom is akin to selling your soul to the devil. [face_devil]

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    In Brandon's defense it was Wikia when he started there. :p

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ...I don't think that helps his case.

9. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I don't say anything in public, whether it's to our community on Fandom or somewhere else like here, that I don't agree with or don't feel like was the right decision. As the head of our community team I'm involved in most decisions and weigh all the different factors that go into it -- improving the community experience, product prioritization, brand growth, revenue goals, etc.

Immi Thrax and CooperTFN like this.
  10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

11. katori

katori Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2020
    The answer is no for those specific books (I think the West End and d20 books were canon to Legends). Wookieepedia has taken their stance on it, but it's an incorrect and confusing one that will cause more harm than good to the canon.

Those books specifically pull from both Legends and canon. They started releasing before the new canon even existed, so Wookieepedia trying to put an arbitrary "canon line" somewhere when it's specifically a mixed product is really weird and reeks to me that they are desperate to pull the Great Hyperspace War, Qel-Droma etc into canon (I am too, but this isn't the right way).

This will get in a really weird polluted spot in the future because Star Wars writers have been known to pull from Wookieepedia for background information, meaning some of this stuff could actually wind up being inadvertently canonized if they think it's already canon. Just a mess IMO.

vstarvan, JediBatman, Vthuil and 2 others like this.
  12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    This is where the canon being more chill about continuity is a good thing--if an EU source included some detail it shouldn't have future sources then had to factor that in and even retcon it potentially, now we can just say "it's a mistake" and ignore it. If Taika Waititi's movie prevents the Great Hyperspace War from happening no one's gonna say "****, we have to come up with a different story now, it's already canonized".

Vthuil and Immi Thrax like this.
  13. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    According to Wookieepedia, Worlport is the capital of Ord Mantell because it was mentioned in a model kit instruction booklet "Build the Millennium Falcon 48" even though Ord Mantell City as seen in Bad Batch is clearly the new canon version of Worlport, which they are never going to use (unless, as katori mentioned, some writer uses Wookieepedia as a source).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I just think it makes for some very sad Wookipedia articles.

FS26, Vthuil, Daneira and 1 other person like this.
  15. Immi Thrax

Immi Thrax Jedi Knight

Apr 4, 2021
    Wookieepedia doesn't decide to categorize articles in one or the other continuity based on "wanting it to be canon." It's a combination of publication dates, Lucasfilm Story Group statements, and sometimes author or publisher clarifications as to what continuity something is categorized as. Whether or not it's officially canonical to a particular continuity is for the LSG to decide, and unfortunately, they confusingly named the new continuity "canon" even though it's not always canonical :p They don't always provide an answer as to whether or not something published since the 2014 split is meant to be Legends. And as we've seen with The Bad Batch series, even previously canonical-canon stories don't get maintained across the tellings. They decide the actual canon, not Wookieepedia.

Sometimes there's a deliberate intent by the authors to re-canonize Legends material in things that "mix Legends and canon," such as in the Build the Millennium Falcon series, with sections intended to be only Legends helpfully marked with a banner. There's further information in a consensus track vote where the author was interviewed about the intention there. And if something seems really weirdly placed or new information arises, its placement can be revisited.

It's odd to me how intense folks get about Wookieepedia placing articles in one or the other continuity based on the type of material it is. So much Legends worldbuilding game through the West End Games roleplaying materials, with authors drawing heavily from them for their novels. Topps cards have been coming out since the very beginning. Wookieepedia doesn't dismiss certain books or magazines or other materials based on how many people purchase them, and LSG doesn't seem to be rigid about maintaining a fixed continuity despite how that'd make things easier for the Wook.

16. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Yes, that is how it worked prior to 2014. Wookieepedia seems to have missed the memo that that's not how it works anymore.

Malachi108 and Vthuil like this.
  17. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    The individual articles I can and do ignore. It bugs me a little bit when it bleeds over into actual canon articles, like Zannah being mentioned in the articles for Darth Bane and the Sith in the same breath as Momin. At that point it reads more like fan-fic.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Daneira and FS26 like this.
  18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

It's less fan fiction and more just bad assumption.

Like Exar Kun's name appears on a desk and for some reason that means all of Tales of the Jedi are canon.

19. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    I think most of the TotJ stuff comes from RPG material in those articles.

20. Supreme Emperor

Supreme Emperor Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2021
    Not sure where you got that from, the canon Exar Jun article doesn't say anything about TOTJ being canon

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Looks like all Fandom wikis have a glaring orangish-yellow banner on one side now. Hmmmmmk.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah it took me off guard for a second, but I've quickly acclimated, just like when you walk outside after having spent too much time in your basement. :p

JediFett10 and Immi Thrax like this.
  23. Immi Thrax

Immi Thrax Jedi Knight

Apr 4, 2021
    The "OW MY EYES" is Fandom-wide for not-signed-into-Fandom/anon users, white in light mode, a dark reddish purple in dark mode.

It's not something Wookieepedia can control, for those with Thoughts about that ;)

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  24. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Dear God, that's hideous.

25. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Kyle Katarn has a Canon page because he's in a card game.

QuinlanSolo likes this.