main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Wookiees and Droids

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Moon Labutto, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moon Labutto

Moon Labutto Jedi Knight

Mar 29, 2016
    So, as I have said before, I am writing a fan fic. I've included 2 Sith, 5 Jedi, 1 hybrid Sith thing, a whole new order of Grey Force users, 3 Jedi Younglings, and a ton of other non-force-wielding characters characters...and even new force powers, and I've run in to two different dilemmas. Now, I'm not asking for specific info, ideas, or suggestions, but more to see if anyone has any techniques for writing about two topics. I looked through a lot of different threads and found not much, and I am still scowering wookieepedia for answers as well.

Problem one...with all of the new characters I have created, I don't have a single droid. I find this to be a problem, and since my story line is already set, I was wondering if anyone had a system or technique for devising droid characters in a way that does not seem artificial or forced.

Problem Two...I have no idea how to write a Wookiee character or how to write their dialogue. This is partially due to the fact that I have not read any Star Wars books, and I've done this, at this juncture, intentionally. I want this trilogy that I am writing to be as organic as possible and not exhibit external resources or influences from other writers. So if anyone can give me a pointer or two on how they go about writing this species, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Just my opinion, but...

1. Don't think "I need a droid" just for the sake of it. Think first, "I need a logic character to create tension against this other emotion-driven character," or "I need some way for the heroes to be able to translate what these aliens are saying" and see how the new character fits in organically with the narrative.

As for creating a droid, you can use the RPG system. Apart from the technical aspects, it has a random droid "quirk" table you can just roll on, with a number of personality traits - from faithful to bossy, pessimistic to compulsive-liar and so on. Works for me!

2. I tend to explain the basic nature of the Wookiee's words and then describe the sound. EG...
    He wuffled an apology.
    He roared an objection.
    He growled a question.
    He snarled his dislike.
    He guffawed his delight.
    Then use the other character's reply to give more detail to the reader. They do this all time in the films. "Yeah, Chewie, I don't think the Empire had Wookiees in mind when they designed her." or "You said it, Chewie! Where did you pick up that old fossil?"

Hope this helps.

Kuri

Moon Labutto, Ewok Poet and Sith-I-5 like this.
  3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Hi Moon.

We have a thread called a Fanfic Writers Desk where you can ask these sort of questions; no need to do a create a thread for every single query you may have.

We also have a thread near the bottom, Useful Tools and Resources. There should be a link in there to "The Complete Wermo’s Guide to Huttese and other Star Wars languages"; you can check if that has translations for Shyriiwook.

Looks like good advice from Kurisan to start you off, though.

Moon Labutto and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Mod post: I am locking this thread as Sith-I-5 pretty much covered it for me. The thread you want for asking specific questions like this is the Fanfic Writer's Desk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.