main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Word Race! Post your final count by January 2nd. Survey Now Up.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Oh, yeah. The survey. I forgot that in my first post. :p

Do you want more “word races?” Yes!
    How frequent would you participate in word races? As often as my schedule allows me to.
    What times of the years/months would work best for you? Any time is a good time to write!
    What would you change to improve word races? Nothing that I can think of.

Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  2. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Do you want more “word races?” Yes!
    How frequent would you participate in word races? As often as possible, as my schedule allows.
    What times of the years/months would work best for you? Any.
    What would you change to improve word races? Like I said earlier, keep them ongoing. If giving out prizes frequently is an issue, we could just have quarterly or semi-annual "prizes" based upon a qualifying month. Just having to check-in occasionally would be enough incentive for me. This was a nice alternative to the pressure of NaNo, which, although very popular here and elsewhere, is just downright intimidating.

3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Note to Briannakin: The title should say "Survey", not "Servey". :p

Chyntuck likes this.
  4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Note to self: do not update titles when you are doing 10 other things :p

Thanks.

Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I heard of a Findsmen's technique called the misty multiplication of words, but I haven't mastered it yet, so my total remains at 25798 :p

As for the survey:

Do you want more “word races?” -- Yes please. This was a great boost to start working on a big chunk that looked like a mountain and turned out to be a molehill.
    How frequent would you participate in word races? -- Twice a year, but I think that holding it quarterly as ginchy said is a good idea, because not everyone will be able to participate every time.
    What times of the years/months would work best for you? -- Any, really. We should pick at least one month that's convenient for those of us who have families, children and a gazillion other obligations.
    What would you change to improve word races? -- Nothing in particular, I liked the loose "write now, post later" format.

Is anyone else interested in Findswoman 's non-competitive word count thread idea? We could still launch it for the year, it's only 2 January after all.

Congrats to all who participated :) Let's start posting now! *drools at the thought of juicy fics coming her way*

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    * Yes, I would participate in word races again.

* Quarterly sounds a good spread.

* I would not add any new rules. I like the flexibility.

* Best times I think for most (students and employees alike) would be off-peak times, e.g., those months when students are not involved in midterms/finals or workers are having seasonal rushes at work or backlogs at their jobs. So maybe the second month in a given quarter. Or if the race is held three times a year, the second or third month.

Findswoman likes this.
  7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    [face_laugh] Oh yes, that's one of the legendary techniques that no one in modern times knows how to do anymore, alas. Though believe me, it's not like I haven't tried. :p

And now on to the survey:

Yes, please! Absolutely! This was the perfect aid in helping put Trouble Chapter to rest.

I'll answer these together. I'm willing to give them a shot whenever they happen (again, not necessarily with any expectation of winning), but the late spring and summer months are probably when I'd be able to actually get the most written. The quarterly option sounds like it would work well, maybe sometimes with prizes and some without (I'd gladly participate either way).

Honestly, I think this one was fine just the way it is, and like many of the others I really appreciated the flexible format. So my main suggestion would just be to keep having 'em!

Nyota's Heart and Chyntuck like this.
  8. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Do you want more “word races?” Yes
    How frequent would you participate in word races? quarterly
    What times of the years/months would work best for you? all months
    What would you change to improve word races?nothing

Nyota's Heart and Findswoman like this.
  9. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    **raises hand** Yes, please!

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  10. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Me too! It would be good to have a non-competitive thread, maybe even where posters can set a personal goal for the month and try to reach it, if they like. I found the race very supportive.

Do you want more “word races?” Absolutely!
    How frequent would you participate in word races? Probably once a quarter.
    What times of the years/months would work best for you? I have no preference
    What would you change to improve word races? I too liked the flexibility of the race.

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    PMs for colours/prizes have been sent. If you should have got one but didn't, let me know.

Chyntuck and taramidala like this.
  12. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Congrats, everyone!! :)

Chyntuck likes this.
  13. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Do you want more “word races?” : Sure, why not.

How frequent would you participate in word races? : Maybe a couple times a year.

What times of the years/months would work best for you? : January through April probably would be best because it is cold outside. When it is warm I want to be outside doing something other than writing.

What would you change to improve word races? : I can't think of anything.

Nyota's Heart and Chyntuck like this.
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Congratulations to everyone and nice, nice colors! ;)

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Congratulations to everyone!! =D=

I wrote a bit more than my word count shows (though not much!)... work was really really rough in December, so on my days off I mostly just wanted to lay in my bed or on the couch and do nothing instead of write. But I'm looking forward to next time! :)

16. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    I love the "Mod Approved Advertising" thread! Congrats, JadeLotus! (but maybe the spelling of her name could get fixed? :))

Chyntuck and Nyota's Heart like this.
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I too love, love, love that thread. Needs Chasing Dreams in there too. ;)

Chyntuck likes this.
  18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    That's it. I'm quitting my job as Mod. I do not get paid enough for this gig. :p

Anyways, congratulations everyone! I hope everyone had fun!

The word race will return in either March or April. I am going to see how it works out doing this race 3-4 times in a year. Since this will be happening again, fairly soon, and Mav has another project along similar lines in the works, I feel that doing a continual year-long word tally would be rather redundant. However, if you really want to organize something along the idea of continually counting words, PM Mav and myself and we can discuss it.

19. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Just noticed this thread... and if we're counting the Crowded Tables update, then it's 3,614. :)

Chyntuck likes this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    My stupidity has no boundaries - had I taken part, I would've won. O_O

Congrats to the winners. :)

Do you want more “word races?” Why not?
    How frequent would you participate in word races? When I don't freak out.
    What times of the years/months would work best for you? I never know.
    What would you change to improve word races? From what I have seen, it's less scary than NaNoWriMo, due to there not being a limit, so...nothing, really. :)

Chyntuck likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.