main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Work In Progress

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Corrin_Wyndryder, Mar 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    After all my bragging about how GREAT my fanfilm is going to be, here's perhaps one of the few glimpses of actual work I've done.

[image=http://www.weareboring.com/images/misc/corrin_select/compare1.jpg]

The door on the top was changed for the script.

Also, this is only the beginning. I haven't textured it yet, but I hope to, soon.

Opinions?

2. William_G_Matthew

William_G_Matthew Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2004
    Looks good so far. Sorry to hear about your bragging problem. There should be medication for that ;)

The key to success is to eliminate the possibility of failure in your mind and believe wholeheartedly that you cannot possible NOT succeed. Am I right?

\__Will__/

3. diabloblanco17

diabloblanco17 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    Not really. Reality usually slaps you in the face after a few weeks or months. Especially when you have no idea what you're doing and lack the work ethic to figure things out.

EDIT: And the model looks good so far. Hopefully, it'll live up to the concept drawing.

4. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Oh, I've got the work ethic. And I realize all the planning that goes into it. I'm a "do"er. I get things done. I've got pleanty on my plate and things are coming along smoothly, for the most part.

BTW, The art was done by Concept Artist.

5. Shadows_545

Shadows_545 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 21, 2002
    I bet your one of those guys that yells out "Get her Done!!!" whenever you can? lol

6. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Something like that.

I just got these in the mail and I'm about ready to texture. Right after spring break.

7. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I like the drawing version more...

8. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Well, it's not done yet. I've still got pleanty to do. Texture and post are next on my list.

9. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    And here's an update. It's not done yet. I've still got a few textures left to go, and I need to work on the lighting, and select a better renderer, but here's my coridor as it stands right now.

[image=http://www.weareboring.com/images/misc/corrin_select/compare2.jpg]

10. CalebLambert1

CalebLambert1 Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2003
    I like the look of it, the textures are good. I would add some blur or try to scuff up the floor or something to give it a more realistic look, Its just a bit too shiny and clean looking.

11. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Yeah.. the floor. I need to scuff it up a bit.

Right now it actually looks just like one of the floors at UVSC, (the college I go to) In the Auto Building. There're stains in the floor that won't come up, no matter how much it's cleaned.

12. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    looking better :)

13. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    thats great :)

i dont really like the floor tho... messed up in some spot, perfect in others [face_plain]

its getting there tho :)

14. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Those 3Dtotal texture cd's are pretty cheap. Marlin Studios has been making those for awhile too but they're more expensive. Don't know the differences tho.

I actually like the looks of it all but the rust color on the floor and walls. This is obviously an Empire'ish model... and rust just looks kinda out of place here. I like the idea of adding some distressed features, some wear and tear tho. Maybe if it was just changed to some other color other than rust and toned down a bit it's give it that worn feel.

15. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Well, the location is in an industrial refinery, not especially known for cleanliness. What is your recommendation in that instance?

16. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Oh. Well... I guess there's no right or wrong then. At least there is a method behind the madness. It's not some crazy texturing gone mad.

I think the ref. show's your distressed features on the walls... and a 2nd look gives me a better impression of that. But the floor with big rust splotches is too much just to me. As long as you have logic behind an idea then there's nothing wrong with it. You could also say... in EP IV the trash compactor was dirty and rusty inside... but pretty clean outside. Technology probably afforded them rust-free materials. That would be safe to assume. And the trash compactor didn't need any special materials so that's why it's not so pretty. I'm certain this is the sorta discussion they had at ILM when they designed things. Also you have to figure in just pure asthetics. It was probably and important part of theatrical design and story to make it dirty and rusty in there.

17. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Well, I just need to fix the colors, because it's not supposed ot be rust, exactly, but stains that just aren't coming out.

18. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Any other constructive critiques I can be working on before posting my next update?

19. pahket

pahket Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2001
    I'd say see if you can't blur the reflections on the floor at all. As it stands it looks like marble. Other than that, great concept, cool model. :)

20. Darksteps

Darksteps Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2001
    actually, instead of blurring the floor, I'd put an extreme reflection falloff on the floor...

Darksteps...

21. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Less Reflective Floor, got it.

22. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Here's another update. This one picture took me an hour and a half to render.

[image=http://www.weareboring.com/images/misc/corrin_select/compare3.jpg]

For you dialup people, it's a BIG file.

One more update after this one and I should be done.

23. Only-One-Tea-Cozy

Only-One-Tea-Cozy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    LOl a bit late telling us its a big file when we have to dld it on the page anyway.

Ive been looking at this one a fair bit, and the main thing that seems out of place (other than hte cleen door) is the texture on the panels on the walls repeats too much, like i know it changes, but theres still 2 dirbbles on each one, get photo shop out and at least move it around a bit.

the other thing i wanted to know is why on earth it took two hours to render. wtf are you using?

24. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    mental ray Rendering with final gather and indirect illumination settings.

25. Only-One-Tea-Cozy

Only-One-Tea-Cozy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    Haha, dont use mental ray. you default scanline, and learn how to do radiosity. the benifit of this way is that you pre render the indirect illumination, then, when you move the camera around, it allreaddy knows where the light is.

see the pic i posted, in the other tread, its is all default scnaline renderer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.