main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Work/life balance

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Mar 18, 2018.

?

What benefits do you get? (select all that apply)

1. 3 months paid/up to 12 months total parental leave

29.4%
  2. Wellbeing days

29.4%
  3. Flexible working arrangements (i.e. can work from home/remotely as you wish)

52.9%
  4. rostered days off

23.5%
  5. flexi-time/time in lieu

38.2%
  6. freedom to leave early/come in late if you have an appointment/engagement

70.6%
  7. 4+ weeks annual leave

61.8%
  8. 2 weeks continuous leave requirement

23.5%
  9. penalty rates (overtime, double time, danger pay etc)

47.1%
  10. condensed weeks (i.e. 37.5hrs worked over 4 days)

14.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Work to live, live to work, etc.

We hear term "work/life balance" bandied about and after hearing you basically get no time off for parental leave (astonishing btw) in the US, I thought I'd check what kind of arrangements your work has for you to maintain work/life balance. How do you ensure you have time for yourself, and not your company.

If you're unsure of any terms and their meaning, ask in the thread and someone can advise.

So, an actual poll that is intended to be somewhat reflective of people's experience. Shocking!

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    In addition to the poll results, I get free breakfast, lunch, and dinner from the various 20+ cafeterias, restaurants, and food joints on campus.

Ender Sai likes this.
  3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    You lucky *****. I only get one free meal per shift.

4. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I did have flexible working arrangements and freedom to leave/come in at whatever time I wanted.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    My job is insane, at times, but I also have a ton of benefits that most other people do not have. The one thing I don't have is paid family leave, but NY State is actually phasing that in this year at least in part (it's the best in the country, but nowhere near Euro-zone coverage).

6. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Very flexible working conditions for me (still holding onto my old job I held while at Uni for the time being as I job shop for a role related to my degree).

Mine: penalty Rates, freedom to pickup and give away shifts, freedom to leave early, rostered days off, extended breaks if I want.

7. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Do you have your own private jet?

Ender Sai likes this.
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I do not. I'm also talking about "most American workers" not "I'm in the 1% and live in a gilded tower"... :p

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I get eight weeks unpaid time off during the summer (I put money in the bank to cover that time), two weeks paid leave at Christmas and one week paid leave at Easter, I can come in late or leave early if I have coverage or students aren’t scheduled during that time, “wellbeing days” cost $50 each.

And that’s it.

10. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    most benefits but obviously not flex time and stuff like that since i work at a hospital

its pretty good over here

11. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    25 days leave plus 8 bank holidays. Can work from home when I want. I tend to do this at least once a week, sometimes 2. Most of the management team don’t come into the office on Fridays. Also handy for hangover days.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    SuperWatto likes this.
  12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Oddly enough, I lost getting overtime when I got promoted - well, real overtime at least. Since my schedule went from weekly to monthly, OT was unlikely anyways, but if I did, I'd get vacation time only... a separate type of vacation time that doesn't add to my regular vacation time, and expires after six months.
    Needless to say, any request made to me to work overtime is met with ".... no."

SuperWatto likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    My set-up is pretty damn good, but it wouldn't mean much if it wasn't used.

Maintaining your work/life balance is half having a good employer and smart bosses and half developing the work habits to also keep it on an even keel.

blackmyron, Ender Sai and SuperWatto like this.
  14. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    That's how they get you!

15. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I work at a distillery. I get health insurance and that's about it. And free booze every once in a while, but I don't drink often enough to need to keep that much alcohol in my home.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Is that a benefit for your work life balance though? My understanding was that was part of a strategy to keep people at their place of work for longer hours?

Jesus.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    True, but it does save me a lot of money and time prepping dinner.

18. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    How is your privacy, Vivec?

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh no doubt, and I miss just having a variety of bread and condiment options so I could at least make toast at work (Which we had at Macquarie Bank - oh, and Tim Tams. ) But I worry that it'll end up taking the best years of people's lives because they're at work from 8-9 every day.

Privacy is a bourgeois concept. There are no secrets from the State, the party, and the workers.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    SuperWatto likes this.
  20. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Oh, see, here's the great thing. I can just take an extra box during lunchtime, fill it up, and take dinner home, so I don't have to stay past my normal time. :D

It's pretty fine, why?

Ender Sai likes this.
  21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm jealous. In our current office location, there's nowhere convenient to eat, except the occasional food truck - and we're still held to a strict 30 minute lunch.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Why though?

I just said to my team, and I do this consciously because I need them to start doing the same - "hey guys, my meetings all got cancelled so I'm heading home to work for the afternoon." I need to do this because they keep coming up meekly to me and saying "a friend is in town, do you mind if I take a long lunch and make up the hours another time?" and I have to say "Yes, I mind. Take the lunch, don't stress the hours, there are plenty of times where you've done more than you're required."

I honestly have a phenomenal team of people but they are all senior managers so I don't mind them deciding how they make up their hours. But every time I show them trust (I had one guy whose wife had a 3 day conference in NZ and he wanted to work remotely from there and he was really nervous about asking until I said "yes" before he'd finished his pitch) i get dividends from it. Tenfold.

Unless it's a peak service time and staff aren't servicing customers, I say let them have a longer lunch now and then. And also, lunch hr = standard terminology!

Sauntaero, Rew, Jedi Ben and 2 others like this.
  23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    In all fairness, they did actually institute a policy recently that any staff - down to the call center agents - can request to have an hour lunch, with an extension of your work day by half an hour; but they are rather strict for the lunches. We get paid the same as managers, but we don't have some of their privileges. However, one of the stranger policies is that the managers have no job protection, whereas everyone else below them does. [face_dunno]
    Our boss does give us a great deal of leeway, but we're also constrained by the often arbitrary rules of state government work, unfortunately.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah that's a really strange situation. Your emoji is apt.

Timing of the Economist is on point...

"Europe has 9 of the world's ten most productive nations, despite spending August on holiday".

25. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I work an insane shift. I typically wake up around 3:00 in the afternoon (more on that later), sometimes earlier if it’s the weekend. I then go to my pizza delivery job until about 9:00, later in the summertime. I then come home and spend some quality time with my wife.

Around 12:30 AM, I leave the house to go to my newspaper delivery job, getting home about 6:15 most mornings. I then get a couple hours of free time to play video games, then it’s off to bed to start a new day that afternoon.

I haven’t taken a day off from the newspaper gig in almost 6 years. My evenings off from pizza delivery vary from week to week, but I try to make the most of them whenever I get one.

It’s a super busy schedule, but I’ve found the perfect balance between work, sleep, play, and family time.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.