main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sith / Dark Side Works in Progress - What are you sewing today?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Lady_Belligerent , Sep 7, 2022.

1. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I’m not sewing it today, but I just found a cloak pattern that I really like, and it’s on the way to me. I’ve got a few cloaks in the closet, but I think this one will be my favorite. I like how they layered them, that’s what I’m going to do, just need to find a deal on charmeuse.

[​IMG]

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
  3. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Me too! I don’t enjoy sewing the “slippery” fabrics, but I’ll fight through for the finished result. I’m shopping a deep violet to line it, and black on black for the rest.

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  4. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Just got a email from the fabric store I frequent! 60% off! Yes, thank you! I’ll be heading there today.

5. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    That's an awesome discount! I could use that! :p

Lady_Belligerent likes this.
  6. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    This place has an amazing selection of fabrics! I didn’t make it today, but tomorrow I have an appointment that’s just a block from them.

7. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I was watching a quiz show last night and the lady on the panel was wearing a gold and black lurex top that looked amazing.............my mind began to tick over!!!

8. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    You should make one!

9. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    The price of fabric has gone through the roof. I spent some time at a couple of places I’ve picked up quality fabrics for decent prices, but not currently. The one I really wanted was on sale for 38.00 per yard. [face_frustrated] I’m going to start watching the sellers on eBay again.

10. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    It’s cold outside, so I’m sitting at my warm sewing machine. :p Sewing and reading are my favorite cold weather activities.

11. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    I'm making a hooded cloak with Simplicity pattern 1582. Tried the first draft on and discovered it was big enough for me and another person. So I've taken it apart and cut the pattern down a couple of sizes. Now I'm cutting the pieces down, and will reassemble. My deadline is next October, so I should be able to make it.... :)

Also found a really cut tote bag/purse project to do with old (or otherwise unusable) pants. If I can get it to work, I'll see about offering it as a sewing projects for teens/tweens at my local public library.

12. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    I like that pattern, I’m still looking for a second fabric before I cut mine out.

I’d love to see your bag, that sounds interesting and I love sewing bags for gifts.

13. Fallen-Hero

Fallen-Hero Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 5, 2009
    Someone *cough* @Lady_Belligerent *cough* pointed me to this place, so here I am. :p

I'm not sewing anything lately, since most of my "costuming time" is now focused on embroidery. I've gone and decided tackling Leia's Cloud City outfit was a brilliant idea. There went the last shreds of my sanity. [face_laugh]

I got one of the five panels completed. Second one is almost half-way done. I've promised myself to wait till all five panels are done before buying/sewing anything else of this costume. I'm aiming for Rebel Legion as well, so we're taking the time to get it done right on the first go.

14. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    @Fallen-Hero I love embroidery work! I hope you’ll share some pics in progress when you have time.

15. Fallen-Hero

Sep 5, 2009
    'Fraid my instagram is the best I got at the moment. From past experiences, images loaded to google drive don't necessarily work even when made to be shared.

Have you found your second fabric for your cape yet?

16. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    No, I set it aside to deal with holiday stuff. I’ve seen a couple that I like, but the prices were really ridiculous, hopefully after the holidays I can go to some places.

Fallen-Hero likes this.
  17. Fallen-Hero

Sep 5, 2009
    I knew this was going to happen, just a matter of time. As much as I would love to just focus on the embroidery to get that completed ASAP, I also need to sew something that can take shape a tad quicker

I decided to start work on my Genesis Rhapsodos costume. I made two mockups considering the original pattern used was for a blouse. I got the back section of the fashion layer stitched together. It's going to be a slow progress between work, responsibilities and embroidery, but it'll keep me sane on the creativity side lol.[​IMG][​IMG]

Message transmitted from an unidentified T65XJ.

18. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Nice! What fabric are you using?

19. Fallen-Hero

Sep 5, 2009
    @Lady_Belligerent the fashion layer is made out of supple pleather. I bought it online along with some "matching" red taffeta for the lining. Unfortunately though, the taffeta turned out to be a far brighter red with an orange undertone. It looks a tad weird when put side by side. Several years back I bought this dark red burnt velvet mesh to use as lining for the cloak of my Jedi Snow White, but I never got around to doing it. I'm thinking of sewing it as an overlay on the taffeta for the bodice pieces - won't bother with the sleeves, no one will see that bit. It'll fit it in the colour scheme better and create an interesting interior for the coat. Only, most conventions are during the summer time, so I'm worried my original goal of combating heat will go down the drain with that velvet mesh. [face_worried]

20. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    It sounds like it would look great with the velvet, but it will make it warm. It’s too bad you can’t pick up a remnant of something lightweight.

Fallen-Hero likes this.
  21. Fallen-Hero

Sep 5, 2009
    I do have red polyester suiting, however having used the same fabric in blue to line another costume, I know it doesn't allow much breathability.

I could always try to look for an alternative that isn't too expensive. I'm sewing the lining as a separate garment, so it's not like I need it immediately. I'm just trying to avoid having to buy more fabric. I'm a fabric dragon and I'm trying real hard to lower those stashes instead of continuing to pile. Using that velvet would help with this goal. We shall see.

We never see the character without his duster, so at the very least I have the option to make the shirt underneath be a short sleeve or a sleeveless one if I want.

22. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Oh, a sleeveless would be more comfortable, and one less layer.

Fallen-Hero likes this.
  23. Fallen-Hero

Sep 5, 2009
    Lining pieces are all cut out. Decided to go ahead and try using the velvet-mesh as an overlay. I'll be basting it by hand first though since I completely forgot this thing has stretch. I'm hoping to avoid it sliding everywhere and becoming a warping thing.

On a related note, my fashion leather is very supple, so I figured adding some interfacing would help with keeping the structure. I usually just interface the "body" bit of a jacket, but I have discovered some people interface bits of the sleeve like the top section and the hem.

@Lady_Belligerent @Adalia-Durron have either of you come across this before?

I'm debating whether to try it or just stick to my usual.

Message transmitted from an unidentified T65XJ.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
  24. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    I’ve interfaced one jacket that was fitted and had a peplum from waist to mid-hip. It was amazing, and very stylish for like one season when I had to dress up for the office every day. I did the shoulder area and about 4” of the upper sleeve, and then the bodice. You may want to just do the body, unless you need it shape the sleeves?

Fallen-Hero and Adalia-Durron like this.
  25. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Depends on how easily it goes through your machine. I'd only do the bodice, like the Lady B says. ;) You want the sleeves to 'hang' smoothly and interfacing might stiffen that.

Fallen-Hero likes this.