main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Workshop: Titles - complete 10/29/07

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by dianethx, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Yes, as promised, this is the first of several short-term workshops on writing topics. Everyone is welcome to participate, even if they come in after the workshop has started!

Please feel free to PM me with any suggestions, concerns or anything else about this workshop. And now let's get started.

[b]Titles.
    Titles.
    Titles.[/b]

The title of your story is the first thing your reader will see. Pretty obvious when you think about it.

But a title is more than that. It can invite the reader into the universe you've created or else send them skittering away to read someone else's story. One shot and it's likely all you'll get as the reader decides to spend his/her time with you ? or not.

Hopefully, this workshop will get you to think about titles, to help you choose titles that are appropriate to your story and perhaps make you more aware of how title choices can affect the reader's perception of your story.

[b]What we will be covering: [/b]
    [color=blue]
    [blockquote]1. A series of definitions or other things pertinent to the topic.
    2. A discussion/question session among host and participants about what they can expect from the workshop
    3. Suggestions from the host/participants about title problems and how to solve them.
    4. A hunting exercise, looking for intriguing titles
    5. Exercises using summaries or other things to come up with titles appropriate to the story. [/blockquote] [/color]
    [b]Ground rules:[/b]
    [color=firebrick]
    [blockquote]1. This is a workshop. That means there will be work! LOL, at least a little bit of work.
    2. This is supposed to be a friendly, helpful workshop. Keep in mind that behind every post is a person with feelings, hopes and dreams. Please remember that when posting.
    3. While we will be looking at titles on tf.n and other places, please do not link the stories. This is not a place for advertisement of your or another person's fics.
    4. This one is the most important one of the bunch.
    It is highly likely that there will be constructive evaluation of work presented in the thread. People can learn a lot by doing but the thread participants don't have to give examples of their own work if they don't feel comfortable doing so. I'd like any constructive evaluation to be as gentle as possible. I find people learn better (and listen harder) if they get examples and suggestions on their work in a non-judgmental and helpful manner (heavy emphasis on helpful).[/blockquote] [/color]
    One more thing ? I'm only the host. If you have a question or additional ideas about the topic, please feel free to ask it here or else PM me. No problem!

And now onto the workshop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When it comes to books, did you know the average reader, publisher or editor only spends about 6 seconds looking at the front cover of any book and only about 15 seconds on the back cover? And fics don't even have a back cover! Or a front cover ? usually. So that gives you an idea of how fast your title needs to catch the eye of a reader.

There are a few things that you need to be aware of when choosing titles. I found this advice from [link=http://www.highertrustmarketing.com/articles/book-titles.html] "If You Write Book Titles Like This, You'll Have a Bestseller" [/link] to be amusing and useful. I've paraphrased the advice below and added one of my own.

[b]#1: Know your audience. [/b] [blockquote]That one is pretty obvious. If you are aiming for Luke/Mara fans, then you certainly wouldn't want to have a title like "Revan's little secret" or "Boba Fett meets Jango for lunch". [/blockquote]
    [b]#2: Grab Their Attention [/b] [blockquote]There may be certain words or phrases that will capture the interest of your readers. However, if you don't really know your target audience or if you are writing without a specific audience in mind, then strong words, action words, or even controversial titles (within reason) might work to capture a reader's attention. [/blockquote]
    [b]#3: Tap Into Their Interest [/b] [blockquote]Anticipate interests that>

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    1. What do you expect to get from this workshop?
    Some basic guidelines on coming up with more creative or appropriate titles.

2. What problems have you had with titles in the past and how did you overcome them?
    I struggle with keeping my titles variant--I will usually stick with a specific pattern and sometimes it does not work. I overcome it by browsing the JC Title Challenge, looking at lines in the story itself, joking around with friends or just plain asking friends for ideas. One title I came up with by IMing a friend and giving her a passage of Bible verses and asking her to choose one that seemed appropriate from that passage. At other times, I've had friends specifically request a title.

3. What sources of inspiration do you use for titles?
    Mostly song lyrics, scriptural phrases, inside jokes or parodies of commonly-known pop culture things.

4. Do you think of the title first or last or somewhere in between when working on your story?
    It depends on whether the tone of the story is based on the title or if the tone of the title is based on the story.

5. Have you ever had a title that sounded good at first but then lost all meaning later?
    Remind me to mention "Agonizing Nerfs." No, that was the placeholder title. "The Other Half" is my main example of this--It worked when the story was a 30-page short story, but when it turned into a 400-page epic, it needed subtitles.

6. When you think of titles, do you also think about the header bar and all the other 'stuff' (genre, length, main characters, etc.) that goes on it?
    No, that's just window-dressing.

7. Anything you'd like to bring up dealing with titles?
    Not in particular

The exercise:
    Leia

Banter
    Negotiate
    Organa Glare of Death
    Skywalker stubbornness
    Judge
    Acerbic
    Haunted
    V'taia'keth (Alderaanian name for themselves in my fanon)
    Wisdom
    Loyalty

3. mavjade

mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 10, 2005
    Great thread!!

Questions:
    Everything I can and anything anyone wants to teach me! :)

2. What problems have you had with titles in the past and how did you overcome them?
    Not liking anything I came up with. I solved it by asking several people for their opinion (almost taking a poll!) As well as asking for their opinion!

I try and let the fic produce the title. Usually there is something that stands out about the fic that will tie it all in together and that makes for the most fitting title!

4. Do you think of the title first or last or somewhere in between when working on your story?
    Usually the end, due to me letting the fic decied the title for me!

5. Have you ever had a title that sounded good at first but then lost all meaning later?
    Oh, yes! On one of my longer fics I used a name of a character in the title and they ended up not being as major of a player that I thought.

6. When you think of titles, do you also think about the header bar and all the other 'stuff' (genre, length, main characters, etc.) that goes on it?
    I usually don't think of that until I go to post it.

Exercise: Mara Jade
    I tried to do them off the top of my head!
    stuborn
    firey
    strong
    will-power
    tempermental
    beautiful
    pushy
    red
    heart
    juxtaposition

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    1. What do you expect to get from this workshop? Quicker results [face_laugh]

2. What problems have you had with titles in the past and how did you overcome them? Sometimes I have them right away, someimes I'm never totally satisfied. The problem is more with vignettes since they post - well, once. In a long story, I work on it so long before I post it, I usually have a few months to get inspired.

3. What sources of inspiration do you use for titles? A visual, a play on words, or an actual line from the story. Usually.

4. Do you think of the title first or last or somewhere in between when working on your story? Usually last, the shorter the story. Sometimes I have the title - and no story for months.

5. Have you ever had a title that sounded good at first but then lost all meaning later? Oover-age 50 syndrome set in - I don't think so (scratches head)

6. When you think of titles, do you also think about the header bar and all the other 'stuff' (genre, length, main characters, etc.) that goes on it? No, that's all separate stuff to worry about.

7. Anything you'd like to bring up dealing with titles? Not really.

The exercise:
    List ten nouns or adjectives or verbs that describe your favorite (everyone knows it's Obi-Wan for me, so I want to be different) character, place or thing or what they might do in terms of action. There can be more than 10 but at least that many. They can be very short phrases but it might be better as single words. Make them as strong or intense as you can.

Anakin Skywalker

Stubborn
    Gifted
    Undisciplined
    Kind
    Short-sighted
    Needy
    Flawed
    Tragic
    Selfish
    Self-absorbed
    Opinionated
    Whiny
    Know-it-all
    Immature
    Isolated emotionally
    Confused
    Unable to see merit in differing viewpoints
    Passionate
    Questioning
    Impulsive not thoughtful

5. Abeja

Abeja Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    1. What do you expect to get from this workshop?A little more experience concerning story titles.;)

Usually, I write the story and then I have to come up with a title. But most of them, which I can make up, sound boring or strange...I asked some friends, but they all didn't like a single one of my titles. Hm...And there I was again, with no title [face_plain] , Oh, and then I sometimes get inspirations in German, but in English they sound weird, due to the different grammar...:(

Sometimes the inspiration strikes when I am outside, seeing a butterfly or something like that...Sometimes I use a line of the story, etc...

That's different. Sometimes I have the title and write the story to it,sometimes I have the story and no title...really, different.

Oh yes, but before posting I changed it.

No, that's mostly a stand-alone.

No, I can't thing of anything at the moment.

Exercise: Wedge Antilles

fireball
    battle-weary
    hard on himself
    brother-in-arms
    The thrill of flying
    stars
    slow-witted romantic
    pride
    waywardness
    Tactical genius
    Flyboy
    loving father
    lopsided grin
    survival guilt
    Workalholic
    flashing lasers
    fatigue

6. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    1. What do you expect to get from this workshop? I would like to learn ways to improve every aspect of my writing.

Trying to come up with something catchy that will tell the potential reader what the overall
    story is about. I sometimes struggle with coming up with the right words that will attract
    attention and intrigue at the same time.
    When I'm having trouble coming up with something, I'll review the entire story and write
    down keywords and I can usually come up with a title then.

Book titles, magazine titles, newspaper titles, even songs sometimes.

Most of the time I have a title right after I come up with the story outline but occassionally,
    at the end.

Not so far :)

6. When you think of titles, do you also think about the header bar and all the other
    'stuff' (genre, length, main characters, etc.) that goes on it?

Absolutely. I want the title to be as reflective of the story as possible.

Nope - I think everything has been covered.

Exercise

Yoda

diminitive
    green
    *cough* aged *cough*
    humble
    agile
    fast
    wise
    patient
    blinded by the darkside
    respected

7. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005

A few tips - share my experience.

The title of my first vignette was lame, too vague, but I realized it too late. I'm still not sure how much influence the titles of my fics have in the final count of readers.

In most cases, the story itself. Only in one songfic the name of the song became the title of the fic.

The title usually appears when I have developed the story to some point. Usually in vignettes it's the last thing I write.

No. But I haven't written that much either.

No. The title is the title. I prefer them short, though, if possible.

For some reason I still haven't fully understand, many of my titles are in the first person - it's something one of the characters think or says in the fic.

The exercise:
    List ten nouns or adjectives or verbs that describe your favorite character, place or thing or what they might do in terms of action. There can be more than 10 but at least that many. They can be very short phrases but it might be better as single words. Make them as strong or intense as you can.

Han

Stubborn
    Brave
    Resourceful
    Sexy
    Private
    Loyal
    Cocky
    Outspoken
    Proud
    Blunt

8. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006

A better understanding of what an effective title is and how to construct one.

My problem with titles is that I write majority OCs and I tend to make the titles too self-depricating to counter-balance the impression of OCs as Mary Sues. This doesn't work either. In fact, my stories are on hold while I figure out how to fix the title issue, among others.

I tend to try to make the title somewhat descriptive of the story itself. I like titles that can have several meanings and layers that tie into the layers in the story.

I usually have a working title, but that can change. In fact, titles can change after I've already posted a good bit.

Yes. Especially since I am changing one of my protagonist's names.

No. The extra stuff isn't part of the title. It's like advertising to appeal to subsegments of the reader base. Unfortunately, those details also mean they can turn off readers. First hand experience: my unfinished K/J story has at least three times the readers as my OC tales. If I had not put K/J in the header, I've little reason to think it would have attracted so many people.

What is the right balance of 'extra' info to include in a title?

The exercise:
    List ten nouns or adjectives or verbs that describe your favorite character, place or thing or what they might do in terms of action. There can be more than 10 but at least that many. They can be very short phrases but it might be better as single words. Make them as strong or intense as you can.

Kyp Durron

Empathic
    Fearless
    Selfless
    Speaks truth to power
    Witty
    Sexy
    Powerful
    Remorseful
    Undervalued
    Roguish

9. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002

Interesting and helpful ways to come up with titles.

Thinking of one :p I sometimes end up writing a whole vignette, then re-reading to see if a line or word catches my eye to use.

Books, songs, movies -- I've ripped off of all three.

First, it it comes quickly; last if it doesn't. Differs with each story.

Once or twice, but as I was already in the middle of huge epics, it was too late to change :p Though I think that really came from seeing them too often ;)

Not really. I've got a pretty set formula: Title (era with "vignette" if needed) character one, character two, etc.

They can be really fun -- a couple times they've come first, and then I've needed a story :p And they're REALLY important and eye-catching.

Jaina
    spunky
    confused
    passionate
    a fighter
    sets the galaxy above herself
    a little selfish
    hard-working
    emotional
    closed off
    inventive

10. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Now for a few questions and your first exercise.

Practice writing titles and seeing how other people do it.

Can't think of anything good and catchy that I say, 'Aha!' to. For those cases, I usually just stick on a title and write.

The inspiration must come from the story itself. If there is a cool double meaning or pun or something like that I'll take it, but the title must relate to the story.

All of the above.

Not really.

YES. The internet and the forum are such a different place to put your story that the subject line is practically title and subtitle. It serves the same function as the title in 'selling' the story to readers to make it more attractive to click on. The Archives are more like a book presentation with the title, cover art and summary doing the selling.

Titles are the ultimate in minimization. The exercises for title could help with story writing where less is more.

The exercise:

Qui-Gon Jinn

- tall
    - broad-shouldered
    - long-haired
    - patient
    - powerful
    - senior
    - impartial
    - impulsive
    - commanding
    - rumpled
    - simple
    - complex
    - bearded

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrely Community Mod star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Glad to see this going Diane.

Not sure. Want to follow along and hope the muse awakens.

None too much as of late.

Not really

All over

Depends. Usually the plot of the story first5 and then hopefully a title comes to mind.

No

The characters and the plot behind the story mostly. Not usualy someting specific.

Nothing I can think of at this time.

Edit Forgot the list of 10 words.. Hmmmm, who to do?? ;)

Qui-Gon Jinn

determined
    passionate
    fortitude
    stalwart
    majestic
    hard-headed
    impulsive
    imposing
    strong
    handsome

12. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Great responses, everyone. We'll be discussing some of your points in a post or two but first - homework! [face_batting]

Here's part two of the exercise. You didn't think I'd forget, did you? [face_devil]

Something for the weekend?
    Go back and look at the words in your list. Try and use at least 10 of them to make up titles. The words can be modified and combined as much as you want in the titles. Don't be afraid to get silly!

Remember - this is supposed to be fun.

For example, here's mine using the Millennium Falcon list:
    [blockquote]Crushed
    Jettisoned
    Ramming Speed
    Sleek and sensual and I'm not talking about Han Solo!
    I am not an Antique
    Fastest hunk-of-junk in the galaxy
    Corroded struts and spice ? all in a day's work[/blockquote]

And the reason we did this exercise....

Titles should reflect the heart of a story ? be it a character, a plot line or even a feeling. By having you list some of the descriptions of your favorite character, you can more easily pinpoint what calls to you emotionally with that individual. Since it's likely that he/she/it will show up in some of your stories, it is nice to have a few key words to kick-start the title process.

If you like one or more of your own titles or any of the other titles that people generated, let us all know. Feedback helps the author to understand what the reader is looking for.

13. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    Exercise 2:

Acerbic loyalty
    How to Negotiate by Banter (or How to Piss Off Her Highnessness in One Fell Swoop)
    To Judge the Haunted
    V'taia'keth Wisdom
    The Skywalker Glare of Organa Stubbornness and Death.

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrely Community Mod star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Hmmm, exercise two is going to be a bit difficult without a fic in mind.

15. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    spunky
    confused
    passionate
    a fighter
    sets the galaxy above herself
    a little selfish
    hard-working
    emotional
    closed off
    inventive

Passion
    Closed
    Galaxy First
    Spunk
    Dazed and Confused
    Fight

I'll try to think of four more later ;)

16. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Let's see if I can do this without having any specific fic in mind... and without paragraphing movies titles or such.

My list - Han: Stubborn/ Brave/ Resourceful/ Sexy/ Private/ Loyal/ Cocky/ Outspoken/ Proud/ Blunt.

The Secret of Being Brave
    Shut Up And Kiss Me!
    Makeshift Loyalty
    Untimely Confessions
    Getting Cocky

*maybe I'll add some others later :) *

17. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Good point, Leona. Glad you brought it up.

I'm trying to get people to think about titles without the baggage of having a story demanding to be titled. Think of it as brainstorming. I found a lot of title articles where they said that you needed to brainstorm a lot of titles before one would hit the right cord.

However, if it is difficult for some of you without a story, pick one of your own stories (or someone else's) that includes the character you've chosen.

The funny thing is that one of the authors I follow, Janet Evanovitch, writes a very successful romance/mystery series whose titles have nothing to do with the content of the books - other than that the titles and the content are both humorous. The title drew me in and the content kept me coming back for more.

18. mavjade

mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 10, 2005
    This was harder than I thought it was going to be, but I really enjoyed it. And some of them might not make since but I usually don't! :p

The Heart of a Tempermental Juxtaposition.
    Beautiful Fire
    You Stuborn, Strong-Willed, pushy...
    The Color of Red Anger.
    LOL! I love that Ish! Hilarious!

19. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002

Help!!

I don't want them to be so vague that they could be titles for any story, not just mine. I don't want them to be so specific that they broadcast the major plot point in neon lights. Most of the times, I just think about why I wrote the story, how I would summarize the theme/plot/purpose in one sentence/phrase/word, and there's my title.

Song lyrics, Latin words, lines of poetry, a thesaurus... :p

Depends - sometimes it comes to me right away. Sometimes while I'm writing, a good title pops into my head, and I end up with two Word docs with different names because I re-saved the file. :p Several times - and this is especially true for the vigs I wrote in a flash and without really "working" on them - I come up with a title right before I post. Not always happy with that last category.

"Gimme Danger" - it's a song from "Velvet Goldmine." That movie (and in part that song) inspired the story, but after a while I felt like the title didn't really capture the mood.

Only to the extend that I don't want the subject bar to be too long. If I have a long title, I'll take only the most important "index info" and stick it on top. If it's shorter, I'll include more stuff.

I have trouble making the title fit the mood of the story. And it doesn't have to be a perfect fit - I just don't want something really really generic, or cliche. For example, I think Traitor was a great title because I didn't get the significance until I'd finished the book and absorbed what I'd just read. Basket Case refers to a song that ends up playing a big part in the plot, but you don't realize that until you're well into the story. So I guess it's not just about the theme - it's about plot and surprise as well.

My character is Han [face_love]

scruffy
    audacious
    gunslinger
    space cowboy
    no-nonsense
    dashing
    blunt
    selfless
    swagger
    casual
    romantic
    dirty hands

I know I'm late. Teacher, please don't take off any points. My cat ate my homework and I had to do it all over again! :eek:

20. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I hope you don't mind me doing this a little late. [face_worried] I just saw this thread.

Now for a few questions and your first exercise.

As with any workshop, to improve myself.

Many times when I think up a title, it seems too cliche and way overdone. In that case, I may use the title while I'm working on it, but when it comes time to post it, I'll look up key words in the title in a thesaurus to get words that mean the same, but aren't used quite as much. Sometimes that will lead me to titles that mean more than the original title.

I'm not sure if I use any other source of inspiration besides what the story is about. EDIT: Oh, sometimes certain challenges will inspire my titles.

Usually I think of it when I have the idea for the story. Sometimes I change the title for the reason I stated on question "2". For example, for "Soul Shadows", my working title was "Dark Shadows", which gave me the giggles. I had to change it, 'cause, well, none of the Collins family showed up, and you can't have "Dark Shadows" without them. :p Besides, "Soul Shadows" describes much better what the story is about: Alexis, Bry, and Maci are fighting against the darkness within themselves.

Not really, though one did lose some impact.

No, I just think about the story and the shortest and most interesting way to sum up what it is about when I think about the title. The rest I think about when I'm typing in the header bar.

7. Anything you'd like to bring up dealing with titles? I can't think of anything right now, but I'm sure I will after I post this. :p

The exercise, Part 1:

R2D2

droid
    plucky
    loyal
    resourceful
    helpful
    domehead
    courageous
    stubborn
    dimminutive
    dependable
    proud
    tricky
    stout

Part 2:

That Stubborn Domehead Did It Again!
    Diminutive, and Proud of It
    I'm Plucky, and You Can Depend on That
    Loyalty Beyond Duty
    Resourcefulness Abounds
    The Courageous Astro-droid
    Helpful Tricks
    Not Just Another Droid

21. Abeja

Abeja Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Exercise 2

Wedge:
    fireball, battle-weary, hard on himself, brother-in-arms, The thrill of flying ,stars,slow-witted romantic,pride, waywardness, Tactical genius, Flyboy, loving father, lopsided grin, survival guilt, Workalholic ,flashing lasers, fatigue

Stars equal lost souls

The loving father or ten ways how to get grey hair quickly

The deathly beauty of flashing lasers

A flyboy's pride

The lopsided grin of Ewoks and Corellians

A Commander's fatigue

Workalholic, a synonym for survival guilt

Tactical genius and slow-witted romantic

[face_happy]

>

22. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Bravo Dianethx, I'm really happy to see this thread going! :D

Whatever you tell me to drill sergeant?!?

I feel pretty good about the titles I come up with, however it's how long it takes me to think of 'em that bothers me. I hate opening a file titled "untitled", it has a psychological effect on me when writing, especially when trying to capture the feel of the story.

If they're canon or EU heavy fics, a line from the movies or novels will jump out at me as I'm writing.

Usually half way through, like I said, it bothers me to end for some reason.

Yes. Shades of Gray, the title lost meaning when the story took a different direction than originally intended.

Sometimes.

Making the title relevant; whether it be the title has a direct connection to the story, or a more symbolic tie to it.

The exercise: (part 1)

Chewbacca:

Loyalty
    Hairy
    Consceince
    Powerful
    Proud
    Fighter
    Hero
    Father-figure
    Ferocious
    Tearing droid's arms off

Go back and look at the words in your list. Try and use at least 10 of them to make up titles.
    (part 2)

"The Smuggler's Consceince"

"Wookiees: They Pull Off More Than Just Arms"

"Pride & Loyalty, Vices of a Hero"

Wow, I didn't think it would be that tough, but it was. ;)

23. Drabba_the_Hutt

Drabba_the_Hutt Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    [blockquote]1. What do you expect to get from this workshop?[/blockquote]Don't know yet. Might be fun.
    [blockquote]2. What problems have you had with titles in the past and how did you overcome them?[/blockquote]There've been times when I've had trouble coming up with one I liked for something. In those cases, I'll brainstorm for a while. Once or twice, I've had to set it aside and try again the next day, but that's been rare, fortunately.
    [blockquote]3. What sources of inspiration do you use for titles?[/blockquote]Anything and everything.
    [blockquote]4. Do you think of the title first or last or somewhere in between when working on your story?[/blockquote]It varies. Sometimes it's come first (even being the inspiration for the fic), sometimes dead last, like in the cases mentioned for #2.
    [blockquote]5. Have you ever had a title that sounded good at first but then lost all meaning later? [/blockquote]I don't know. Sometimes I look back and think I went too obscure in coming up with a title, but that's not really the same thing, is it?
    [blockquote]6. When you think of titles, do you also think about the header bar and all the other 'stuff' (genre, length, main characters, etc.) that goes on it? [/blockquote]Not really. Most of the titles I've done have been for things where I don't have to tack all that on there, and I don't change the process for those times I do.
    [blockquote]7. Anything you'd like to bring up dealing with titles? [/blockquote]I might think of something later.

Exercise One:
    I'll go with... Tarkin.

Cushing
    Pygram
    Wilhuff
    Grand Moff
    Confident
    Foul Stench
    Death Star
    Widow's Peak
    Jodhpurs
    Ambitious
    Vader's Leash
    Evacuate?

Exercise Two:
    "Leash Laws"
    "The Axe Effect"
    "Wilhuff and Wilpuff (Will Blow Your Planet Down)"
    "Moment of Triumph"
    "Bald Ambition"
    "Moffin' Man"
    "All My Neural Clones"
    "Release Him"
    "The Imperial Hammer"
    "Fear of This Battle Station"
    "Jodhpurfection"
    "Tarkin's Eyesore"

24. RX_Sith

RX_Sith C&G Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Mar 13, 2006
    Excellent Thread and Responses so far. =D=

As much as possible with minimal amount of involvement. ;)

I try to keep my titles as short and simple as possible. It seems like the longer ones just don't convey as much as the shorter ones like Lucas uses in his titles.

Mainly just the characters in the story I am going to tell or sometimes what the story will be about. In short, it varies depending on the story.

I always think of the title first along with the story, so maybe both at the same time. [face_thinking]

Not that I can think of.

A little bit, but really don't worry about all that extra "stuff".

Like I said above, I tend to pick something short and simple, but really it depends on the storyteller as to what their particular muse selects.

The exercise: (part 1)

Darth Vader

Tormentor
    Ruthless
    Sith
    Father
    Flawed
    Apprentice
    Servant
    Slave (still to Sidious)
    Obedient
    Angry
    Flagrant
    Tormented
    Redeemed

Go back and look at the words in your list. Try and use at least 10 of them to make up titles. (part 2)

Redeemed Tormentor
    Flawed Obedient Slave
    Ruthless Angry Servant
    Tormented Sith Apprentice
    Sidious' Servant Slave
    Flagrant Flawed Father
    Tormented Tormentor

25. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Questions:

So many times I've heard the phrase, You can't judge a book by its cover and many times that is true. But if the cover, or in this case the title, doesn't catch the eye, then the words and ideas inside are not given the chance they deserve to prove otherwise. I would like to learn how to come up with a 'catchy' title by developing the necessary skills to create them.

My main problem is that I have no idea what to title a story. Not to mention trying to come up with something that will catch a reader's attention. I've heard that action words are great eye catchers, but sometimes an action word just doesn't fit. I usually play around with a lot of different words and phrases until I find something that I think might work.

I get a lot of my inspiration from song lyrics, movies, books, poems, and quotes. And sometimes the undertones of the story itself will present a solution.

My titles usually come last. There are times when I'll be in the middle of the story and a possible title will present itself, but it's rare.

Yes, Letting Go. By maintaining contact with those from his former life, Xan didn't exactly let go of his Jedi past.

No. If I can fit some other stuff in, I will, but it's not a main concern.

I can't think of anything at this time.

Exercise 1: List ten nouns or adjectives or verbs that describe your favorite character, place or thing or what they might do in terms of action. There can be more than 10 but at least that many. They can be very short phrases but it might be better as single words. Make them as strong or intense as you can.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
    powerful
    serene
    reckless when jumping out of windows
    attractive
    negotiator
    loyal
    stubborn
    patient
    selfless
    disciplined
    aims for perfection
    flawed
    trust
    warrior
    sensitive
    brother
    guardian
    strong
    dry sense of humor
    human

Exercise 2: Go back and look at the words in your list. Try and use at least 10
    of them to make up titles. The words can be modified and combined as much as you want in the titles. Don't be afraid to get silly!

Reckless and Stubborn
    Trusted Guardian
    Flawed
    Brother of Loyalty
    Exasperatingly Human
    Dry Creek of Humor
    Infuriating Serenity
    Journey of Perfection
    Selfless Warrior
    Negotiating Attraction

Edit: Formatting difficulties. :(

Thread Status: