main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Workshop: Titles - complete 10/29/07

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by dianethx, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Cooking with a Sith Lord -- eeeeewwwwww. :p

1. If you use inside jokes, do you get readers who may not understand the 'inside' part? Do you explain it?

No, I don't use inside jokes. Too much work. If an inside joke happens, it's an accident.

2. As a reader, do you feel that the title loses some of its punch when you find out it's an inside joke? Do you care that it's an inside joke?

No, if it's a good title an inside joke that goes over people's heads shouldn't hurt it. After all, there are all sorts of things written for all ages that kids under a certain age won't get but the older readers will laugh at. Technically, those are inside jokes, too.

Exercise: Take one of the inside jokes that your group had and then write at least three titles based on the joke. You can explain the joke or not. It's up to you.

Guess where these come from. :D

- High At Hell
    - Friday Night at the Dunwoody
    - Too Many Dawns, Not Enough Sunshine

2. Minor_League_Commish

Minor_League_Commish Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2007
    I'm guessing the first one was about a bad stay at the Hyatt Hotel. :p

EDIT: Oops, I did it again. Alexis_Wingstar, here. :oops:

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    LOL - I didn't get the High at Hell the first time I read it, Anne. Good thing Alexis did. But the rest of them are Dragoncon. Dunwoody rules! [face_dancing]

Alexis ? I get the theme of those titles. LOL. I liked the first one the best!

SithGirl132 ? Dropping in is great! Glad to see you here.

Drabbo ? I think you live for inside jokes! Ah, too bad about the Sumerian Love poetry. Maybe next time. I liked the Book of Three the best. Made me wonder what book and why were there three of them.

Abeja ? LOL on the you're so wessy. Anyone who know Wes Janson would understand. LOL. But I think of all the titles I like the Invisible pretzels one the best. It sounds very funny.

ardavenport ? LOL on the inside joke titles. Very cute. As you know, I really liked Friday night at the Dunwoody the best.

4. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    #6 Pop culture

From Wikipedia

"Popular culture, sometimes abbreviated to pop culture, consists of widespread cultural elements in any given society. Such elements are perpetuated through that society's vernacular language or an established lingua franca. It comprises the daily interactions, needs and desires and cultural 'moments' that make up the everyday lives of the mainstream. Pop culture finds its expression in the mass circulation of items from areas such as fashion, music, sport and film."

Pretty much all language goes through changes, sometimes quickly. New phrases and ways of saying things will incorporate cultures, trends in technology, fashion, and a thousand other things that can't even be predicted. But the words creep into our everyday vocabulary.

Of course, titles will reflect that. Something humorous in pop culture will have an additional punch of humor in the title that might not otherwise be there. However, aware should you be. A turn of phrase that is hot right now might seem old-fashioned or out-of-date in a year or two. Just keep that in mind.

Questions:
    1. Do you incorporate pop culture into your titles?
    2. Do you worry about whether the story will stand up to the test of time or is it just fun to write now and you don't worry about it lasting?
    3. As a reader, do you like pop culture titles or not? Why?

Examples of cultural moments:
    "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." ? 1933 ? President FDR's speech
    "A day that will live in infamy." 1941 - President FDR's speech
    "Live long and prosper." 1960s ? Star Trek tv show
    "We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender," Churchill speech 1940
    "I am not a crook." 1973 ? President Nixon speech
    "Hello, Newman" 1998 ? Seinfeld tv show
    "Never give up. Never surrender." 1999 Galaxy Quest movie
    "Truthiness" 2007 ? Stephen Colbert tv show

Examples of words used to mean other things depending on timeperiod:
    bread ? food; money
    man ? person; derogatory title for authority figure
    gay ? carefree or happy; homosexuality
    pig- animal; policeman

Examples of Iconic personalities of their time:
    Paris Hilton
    OJ Simpson
    Britney Spears
    Jackie O
    Tony Soprano
    Mr. Rogers
    The Three Stooges
    The Beatles
    Jackie Gleason
    Mohammed Ali
    Mae West
    Jesse James
    Beau Brummel

Exercise:
    Choose a decade from history up through 21st century (yes, even this past decade). Using cultural icons from the period, come up with at least three Star Wars titles that reflect that moment in time. You can't choose Star Wars as the cultural icon, though!

Example:
    1940s
    Betty Grable may have had the legs but, Princess, you've got the class. (Betty Grable was a movie star.)
    Thirty Seconds over Coruscant (Thirty Seconds over Tokyo ? movie)
    A tree grows in Kashyyyk. (A tree grows in Brooklyn ?movie)
    Blitzkrieg Seranade or how I bombed Jabiim into oblivion (Blitzkrieg is a type of warfare)

5. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Questions

Not yet.

2. Do you worry about whether the story will stand up to the test of time or is it just fun to write now and you don't worry about it lasting?

Well, I tend to write about characters and what motivates them, which, and that tends to be something that is constant no matter how the culture changes. I mean, all RL cultures here on Earth have love stories, stories about rebellion in one form or the other, good vs. evil, etc.

3. As a reader, do you like pop culture titles or not?

When they are adapted well, yes.

Why?

If the title is too Earthy I have to wonder if the writer is just taking SW characters and writing whatever they want and not writing who those characters are meant to be.

Excercise:

1980's:

Decade of the valley girl venacular, which was actually started by Frank Zappa's lampooning the spoiled California girl image with his 14-year-old daughter, Moon Unit. A movie w/ Nicolas Cage capitalized on it, and it became popular to be a dumb blonde even if you weren't born that way.

Titles:

Gag Me With a Vibroblade o_O
    Don't Have a Nerf!
    Like, Oh My Force!
    You Are Totally Hutt?

6. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    First, pardon me on skipping the previous two excercises. For one thing, I didn't want to butcher a foreign language. Two, I don't have any fics that have inside jokes in the titles. (inside jokes in the sotry though, but I didn't want to detract from the topic).

Excercise #6

Sometimes I do, but the most obvious is when I paraphrase lines from the Saga films.

Going with the last statement, yeah; but generally only if the story is pop culture related, a good story will almost always stand the test of time.

Honestly, I have no opinion either way. Occasionally, it might pique my interest, but generally it doesn't effect me all that much.

Exercise:
    Choose a decade from history up through 21st century (yes, even this past decade). Using cultural icons from the period, come up with at least three Star Wars titles that reflect that moment in time. You can't choose Star Wars as the cultural icon, though!

"And That's The Bottom Line, 'Cause Mace Windu Said So!" - Stone Cold Steve Austin

"Stormtroopers Don't Need No Stinking Badges." - El Bandito in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre"

"Jar Jar being Jar Jar" - Manny being Manny (term coined regarding obnoxious antics of Red Sox O.F. Manny Ramirez)

7. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004

Only if you count Star Wars. :p

Yes. That's why I don't use much popular culture unless it's something really catchy and you don't need to know the source to get it. Otherwise it dates and ages badly.

I neight like nor dislike them.

Exercise: Choose a decade from history up through 21st century (yes, even this past decade). Using cultural icons from the period, come up with at least three Star Wars titles that reflect that moment in time. You can't choose Star Wars as the cultural icon, though!

1970's

- Satuday Night Jedi
    - The 'Me' Clone Upgrade
    - They're Two Wild and Crazy Sith!

8. Drabba_the_Hutt

Drabba_the_Hutt Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    Do I incorporate pop culture into titles? I'll use pop culture, high culture, obscure culture, haute culture, yogurt culture, whatever culture amuses me at the time. Since I draw from so many sources, there's little worry that a particular reference will become dated; they just get subtler. Yeah, that's it.

Here're three exercise responses. For the first, I'll leave it to you to guess the decade. [face_devil]

"Birth of an Empire"
    "Double Your Pleasure"
    "Forever Blowing Up Planets"
    "Hanny Boy"
    "Say It Ain't So"
    "Strong as a Bull Bantha"
    "Tazac of the Svapers" (a Rodian classic)

Now here are some based on a single event. It's a bit far back to be a current event (even by ACF standards*), but it should be easy to recognize.

"Our Alderaanian Cousin"
    "Thus Always to Tyrants"
    "A Night at the Theater"
    "One for Three"
    "Now He Belongs..."

And how about television events from a single year? [Bonus points for identifying the shows]

"A Background of Black"
    "The Cousin from Coruscant"
    "Eee-Urp!"
    "Finding the Human Factor"
    "The Fool on the Hill"
    "Gentleman Ben"
    "I Am a Free Being!"
    "A Man of Property"
    "The Missing Girl Affair"
    "Phase Alternator"
    "Should You Choose to Accept It"
    "Three Rimward Suns"

EDIT: I admit it. One of those isn't from a show but refers to a technical issue. I was naughty. [face_mischief]

*Yeah, that goes back to the inside jokes from before. ACF is a frighteningly difficult QB format -- "Sumerian Love Poetry" is the stereotype of an ACF question -- that is notorious for classifying anything from the last century as "current events" rather than history.

9. Abeja

Abeja Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    I have only done so once, and it hasn't been a SW story. It was a story about Tristan and Isolde (king Arthur), and I named it
    "The sound of silence", because of the title "The sound of silence" by Simon and Garfunkel. Does that count as pop culture?

Again, I only used something related to pop culture once, and I don't worry about it. Perhaps if I were to use it more often, I would, though.

I would also say, I neither like, nor dislike them.

Exercise

The 1920's

The Empire's black day (Black Tuesday, 1929, which started the Great Depression)
    Gold Diggers of Coruscant (Gold Diggers of Broadway, movie, 1929)
    Charlie Chaplin might have made me laugh and scream, but you, C-3PO, only you can make me cry, laugh and scream!(Charlie Chaplin, English comedy actor)
    The last laugh on Alderaan ( "The last laugh", German: "Der letzte Mann", a 1924 silent film)

10. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006

Yes, I have incorporated a little bit of pop culture into my titles.

I don't worry about whether it will stand the test of time. After all, the way that everything is cyclical, it will be back in style in 20 to 30 years anyway.

Doesn't really matter.

Exercise: Choose a decade from history up through 21st century (yes, even this past decade). Using cultural icons from the period, come up with at least three Star Wars titles that reflect that moment in time. You can't choose Star Wars as the cultural icon, though!

1980's:

"Jedi Vice"
    "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go To the Sith"
    "Clone Invaders"
    "Boba On Board"
    "Rebel Pursuit"
    "Back to the Structure"
    "Teenage Pubescent Rebel Pilots"
    "Breakin' 2: Death Stars"
    "Guns 'N' Chosen Ones"
    "Fleet Child O' Whine"
    "Flashstance"
    "Blockade Runner"
    "The Determinator"
    "Can't Sith This"
    "Raiders of the Tusken Desert"
    "P.S. - The Pseudos Sidious"

11. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Alexis_Wingstar ? Loved the timeperiod you chose. Like totally! I liked the Like, Oh My Force! the best! Great title for a humorous piece.

correllian_ale ? don't worry about it. I figure some exercises would get more participation than others.
    I liked "Stormtroopers Don't Need No Stinking Badges." the best. I still use that line from the movie at times.

ardavenport ? yes, I don?t usually use pop culture in my titles either.
    LOL on Saturday Night Jedi.

Drabbo ? I figured you did since you know so much about it. I'll guess the 20's but I must admit that I'm terrible with pop culture. The current event was Lincoln getting shot. I do recognize some of the references in your television events The Thomas Crowne Affair and Third rock from the sun. I liked your "Our Alderaanian Cousin" the best. Sounds so refined and intriguing. Great job.

Abeja ? I loved Gold Diggers of Coruscant. I recognized the reference right away!

RX_Sith ? Some of your titles are great! They made me laugh!
    "Jedi Vice"
    "Clone Invaders"
    "Teenage Pubescent Rebel Pilots"
    "Flashstance"
    "The Determinator"
    "Can't Sith This"
    "Raiders of the Tusken Desert"

12. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    #7 Clichés

Gotta love Wikipedia

"A cliché is a phrase, expression, or idea that has been overused to the point of losing its intended force or novelty, especially when at some time it was considered distinctively forceful or novel."

Overuse is key here in terms of whether a phrase becomes cliché. Sometimes it's so overused that we no longer pay any attention to it; it becomes part of our vernacular. It loses some or all of its original meaning and we don't even know where it came from or why we accept it at face value.

Examples:
    seven-year itch ? 3 act play 1952
    when pigs fly - centuries-old Scottish proverb
    when the fat lady sings ? originated with Dan Cook at a basketball game but it may have been said in reference to Kat Smith, a very overweight Opera singer who sang at hockey games on occasion
    pot of gold at the end of the rainbow ? Irish myth
    action speaks louder than words ? Mark Twain
    all that glitters is not gold ? paraphrased from 12th century French theologian Alain de Lille and later Shakespeare

Questions:

1. Do you realize when you are using a cliché or is it just something that is ingrained in your vocabulary and you don't even notice? Do you care?
    2. As a reader, do you care if it's a cliché?

Exercise:

Take at least five clichés and describe how they could be turned into Star Wars stories with a few words or a single sentence summary.

Or conversely, use clichés to inspire titles. If you can combine clichés, that would be extra points! I went to a random cliché generator for mine.

Example 1:
    More power to you ? the rise of Darth Caedus (Jacen Solo)
    Parting shot ? Han and Greedo's final argument
    The bigger they come, the harder they fall ? Death Star meets X-Wing ? a love story told from the X-Wing's POV
    Young enough to be his daughter ? A Kyp/ Jaina romance
    Bright and early ? Luke and Mara's wedding day
    No good deed goes unpunished ? Chancellor Valorum befriends Palpatine

Example 2:
    Jedi Cloak --- the whole nine yards
    A boy, an old wizard and 17000 credits ? What could possibly go wrong? ?-- don't worry, be happy
    Betting on the Blob races ?-- dollars to doughnuts
    The Curse of the Falcon ? Millennium Style ?-- when my ship comes in
    The Dance of the Seven Veils or how I paid my passage to the Alderaan System by Luke Skywalker ?-- throw modesty to the winds

13. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Questions:

1. Do you realize when you are using a cliché or is it just something that is ingrained in your vocabulary and you don't even notice? Do you care?

I usually recognize cliché? I don?t care most of the time? if it fits, wear it. :p Though I try to stay away using titles that have been used quite a bit in SW books and fan fic.

Well if the whole story is cliché and doesn?t bring something new to it or put a twist on it, then yes.

Exercise:

Take at least five clichés and describe how they could be turned into Star Wars stories with a few words or a single sentence summary.

Or conversely, use clichés to inspire titles. If you can combine clichés, that would be extra points! I went to a random cliché generator for mine.

Titles w/ clichés or inspired by clichés and the summaries?

Hell Has no Fury Like a Woman Scorned? and I Don?t Mean Maybe: In an AU story, Han reminisces about Leia?s reaction when he dumps her.

The Love of Credits is the Path to the Dark Side: A jedi knight is tempted to supplement his livelihood by dealing spice.

If You?ve the Inexperience of Youth, Just Put Your Best Foot Forward: A instruction manual for marching in step for all New Republic soldiers.

Out of the Mouths of Babes: Han and Leia have to deal with their infant twins when they have colic.

14. Drabba_the_Hutt

Feb 16, 2005
    Diane, you're right about the Lincoln assassination and very close on the decade. The two guesses for the last one are pretty far off, though. 3rd Rock is off by about three decades, and the other was a movie (which may or may not be that far temporally). Maybe others here can help....

As for the cliché - poor overworked handmaiden that she is - question, there's always going to be dispute over what one is and whether or not particular things qualify. If you mean - and it looks like you do - expressions or turns of phrase that have entered our general lexicon, then yes I will use them (often with a twist). It's like with the last couple, I will draw from whatever source I can.

Alexis, I once used "Hath No Fury" as a drabble title. [She had a flamethrower. [face_devil] ]

Here're some possible titles....

"One in a Million"
    "To Get to the Other Side"
    "Before the Dawn"
    "The Nick of Time"
    "Spoil the Child"
    "Game Over"
    "What Goes Up"

15. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005

I notice, sometimes. If I do catch it, I try to change it, but not always.

Not at all, unless the it's the story itself. I-)

Exercise:

The Bigger They Are... - The Rancor's Tale

There's No ''I'' in Team - Obi Wan's Excercise in Patience

She's eating for Two, Too Bad if She's Hungry Too: Padme Orders Lunch

16. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    just havigng fun with the execise...

Clones will be Clones

The Maltese Holocron

Alderaaian Melodrama

Errant Ventures in Babysitting

The Longest Day (Order 66)

more to come...

17. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Alexis - I loved this one. Hell Has no Fury Like a Woman Scorned? and I Don?t Mean Maybe: In an AU story, Han reminisces about Leia?s reaction when he dumps her.

Very funny.

Drabbo ? LOL on the Hath No fury and the flamethrower. I liked Game over the best.

correllian_ale ? I thought this one would be great as a story.. The Bigger They Are... - The Rancor's Tale

brodiew ? it's supposed to be fun. I liked this one the best. The Longest Day (Order 66) I could hear the music when I read that title.

18. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    We're heading down toward the end of the workshop. I know it's been rough for some but only a few more....

[color=blue][b]#8 Genre[/b][/color]

[i]The definition of genre is a category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, marked by a distinctive style, form or content.[/i] ? From the Free Dictionary ? www.thefreedictionary.com.

But I think we are more likely to think of genre in the literary sense. According to wikipedia, literary genre is loose set of criteria for a category of literary composition such as epic, tragedy, comedy, etc.

What we think of as genre, at least in this context, is more what msn- Encarta described as the [i]category of artistic works: one of the categories, based on form, style, or subject matter, into which artistic works of all kinds can be divided. For example, the detective novel is a genre of fiction.[/i]

We use genre all the time in order to categorize our stories, to niche them into specific subgroups so that we can more easily describe what our story is about. It also makes it easier for the reader to find what they are looking for in terms of fiction types.

There were many genre types listed in the sites I visited. Here is a fairly lengthy list from fanfiction.net and various other sources.
    [blockquote]Action
    Adventure
    Angst
    Biography
    Crime
    Diaries/journals
    Drama
    Erotic
    Epic
    Family
    Fantasy
    Friendship
    Historical
    Horror
    Humor
    Hurt/comfort
    Medical
    Mystery
    Parody
    Poetry
    Romance
    Satire
    Spiritual
    Supernatural
    Suspense
    Thriller
    Tragedy[/blockquote]
    Are we out of breath yet just reading that list?

But each genre has a specific style of writing that will evoke a response appropriate to the genre. We discussed this earlier when we talked about straightforward versus enigmatic styles. A romance may have a lush style in the body of the story and the title should reflect that. Action might have a clipped cadence to it with shorter sentences and harder-sounding words to give the reader a push into breathlessness; the title should also give the reader the hint that they might be in for a wild ride.

Of course, that doesn't mean that a romance couldn't have a short, punchy title or that action has to have one word titles. The title is often the summary's summary for the story. Use it wisely.

[color=blue][b]Exercise: [/b] [/color]

Movies and books and stories aren't just one thing, though. A book could include scenes of different genre types that might be categorized as romantic or horror or comedy and yet still be an action/adventure novel.

If you've ever noticed in any of the Star Wars DVDs, there are chapter titles for each of the major events in the movie.

Decide on three of the genre types above.

Choose one of your favorite Star Wars movies but don't tell us which one it is!

Taking scenes from the movie, write at least three titles for each of the genres you've chosen for a minimum of nine titles. The three titles in the specific genre should all be for the same scene. So there will be 3 titles of one genre for the first scene and 3 titles for another genre for the second scene and 3 titles for another genre for the third scene.

But don't tell us which scenes they are! We have to guess the scenes and the movie!

[color=blue][b]Example: [/b] [/color]

[b]Romance[/b]
    Breathless in the brush of chocolate curls and alabaster skin
    Rounded by desire, blinded by beauty
    The kiss of stars in her hair

[b]Comedy[/b]
    Loose wires are never a reason for laughter
    Up and down and all around
    Riding, riding, riding in a gravity well
    Are you sure this is up?

[b]Horror[/b]
    Melted
    Endless Screams
    A coffin is for the dead, isn't it?

19. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Genre Exercise:

Movies and books and stories aren't just one thing, though. A book could include scenes of different genre types that might be categorized as romantic or horror or comedy and yet still be an action/adventure novel.

If you've ever noticed in any of the Star Wars DVDs, there are chapter titles for each of the major events in the movie.

Taking scenes from the movie, write at least three titles for each of the genres you've chosen for a minimum of nine titles. The three titles in the specific genre should all be for the same scene. So there will be 3 titles of one genre for the first scene and 3 titles for another genre for the second scene and 3 titles for another genre for the third scene.

But don't tell us which scenes they are! We have to guess the scenes and the movie!

Example:

Action
    Fighters, Blasters, and Lightsabers, Oh My!
    Air, Land, Water, Fire: Elements of Destruction
    True Lies: Desperate Measures

Comedy
    It's So Damn Hot
    Long Trek to Nowhere
    I'm Melting And I Froze My Joints

Horror
    Lightning Strikes
    Venom of Anger
    Evil Incarnate

Musical/Parody
    Palpy Don't Preach
    Friends With Twisted Faces
    Don't Fry

20. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Exercise 8: Genre

Tragedy

They Died Together
    Charred Corpses
    Up In Smoke

Action

Victory Yell
    Challenge in the Desert
    Dodging Gaffe Sticks

Horror

Impending Torture
    Dark Sphere
    Caged

21. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Aaaaah, I'm a little behind. Yes, my inside joke was DragonCon. Part of the workshop is seeing what everyone else comes up with. :)

Questions: Cliche

I don't think I do. I would prefer not to. The more aware I am of the words I use, the better I can use them.

Generally I don't mind, especially if it's a good play on words or a good pun.

Exercise 7:

- Sock it to You - - Various Star Wars characters are held hostage by a manic fan-fic writing sock. (this one is a bit old and may be dated, but it was really big on Laugh-In.)
    - Close Call - - Obi-Wan coms Qui-Gon and after a panicked conversation, they discover that they are in adjoining rooms - - Too Close to Call
    - In the Eye of the Storm - - Anakin commandeers the cruiser 'The Needle' to rescue his master.
    - Green With Envy - - Greedo wants what Han has.
    - Water Under the Bridge - - Obi-Wan scatters Qui-Gon's ashes in the waters of Naboo.

Exercise 8:

Angst
    Haunted Past
    Betrayed
    The Lies They Tell

Horror
    No Air
    Dead Eyes
    Chains of Vengeance

Suspense
    Two Paths, One Choice
    Close to the Edge
    Caught by the Dark

22. Abeja

Abeja Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    So...I didn't take part in the cliché exercise, because my English isn't that good^^, and most clichés, that I know, are German ones
    Oh and I am really sorry, that we're coming to the end soon...I loved this exercises! You did a great job with them, diane[face_dancing]

Exercise

Tragedy

The blue shards are reflected in their eyes
    Green and pretty, black and dead
    Even the angels come to weep, yet she can't afford it

Action:
    Departing with a deadwish
    Now or never
    Fire and Blackness

Angst:
    What once has been
    Caught in a silent moment's time
    One of us will die now

23. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Okay ? time to guess the movie and the scenes?

RX_Sith ?
    Action ? I have no idea on this one. I'll guess ANH
    Comedy ? ANH, 3PO and R2 land on Tatooine
    Horror ? ROTJ Papatine zaps Luke
    Musical/Parody ? ROTS ? Palpy zapping Mace

Alexis
    Tragedy ? ANH Beru and Owen's corpses
    Action ? ANH Luke gets attacked by Tuskens
    Horror ? TESB Han gets tortured

ardavenport
    I loved the Water under the bridge one!

Angst ? ROTS Opera scene
    Horror ? ROTS Vader gets his mask
    Suspense ? ROTS Anakin chooses Palpy over Mace

Abeja
    Tragedy ? I have no idea
    Action ? ROTS opening scene
    Angst ?ROTS as Obi and Anakin start fighting

I'm sure I didn't guess right for most of them but it was fun to try.

24. Drabba_the_Hutt

Feb 16, 2005
    Sorry, I didn't get in on the genre challenge. Going back a bit to the pop culture challenge, my decade was the 1910s. [Among other things, I reffed Teddy's third-party run in 1912 and the Black Sox scandal.]

The year for the TV challenge was 1967. The shows referenced were...

"A Background of Black" -- Batman [Going into its third season, the show started saving money by not putting up backgrounds, just setting a couple items against a black backdrop.]
    "The Cousin from Coruscant" -- Dark Shadows and the arrival of Barnabas Collins (posing as a cousin from England).
    "Eee-Urp!" -- The Avengers episode "The Winged Avenger"
    "Finding the Human Factor" -- Doctor Who, "The Evil of the Daleks"
    "The Fool on the Hill" -- The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour special
    "Gentleman Ben" -- Gentle Ben
    "I Am a Free Being!" -- The Prisoner
    "A Man of Property" -- The Forsyte Saga
    "The Missing Girl Affair" -- The cancellation of The Girl from U.N.C.L.E.
    "Phase Alternator" -- The introduction of PAL format in the UK
    "Should You Choose to Accept It" -- The introduction of Jim Phelps on Mission: Impossible
    "Three Rimward Suns" -- My Three Sons and the move to California

EDIT: Eee-urp! :D

25. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Drabbo, you can still get in on the genre thing if you want. No problem!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.