main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Workshop: Titles - complete 10/29/07

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by dianethx, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Post my guess.....[face_thinking]

RX_Sith:
    Action - ROTS, Order 66 scene
    Comedy - ANH, C3PO and R2D2 on Tatooine
    Horror - ROTJ, Last scene with Luke, Vader and Emperor
    Musical/Parody - ROTS, Fight between Mace and Palpy

Alexis_Wingstar:
    Tragedy - ANH, Luke finding the farm destroyed
    Action - ANH, Sand People attacking Luke
    Horror - ANH, Vader getting ready to question Leia

Abeja:
    Tragedy - ROTS: Padme's funeral
    Action - ROTS: Fight between Obi-Wan and Vader
    Angst - ROTS: Vader alone on Mustafar before Obi-Wan arrives

When do we reveal our title sources?

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Anne, tomorrow. I'd give people a day. And you can guess mine as well.... :p

3. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Guesses:

Dianethx:

Romance: RoTS, balcony scene w/ Ani/Padme
    Comedy: RoTS, Begining of movie just before Obi and Ani crash into Corruscant
    Horror: RoTS, Funeral for Padme/Just before donning the mask

RX_Sith:

Action: RoTS, Order 66
    Comedy: ANH, C-3P0's trek in Tatooine's desert
    Horror: ESB, Emporer's attack on Luke
    Musical/Parody: Mace/Palpy/Ani scene

Ardavenport:

Angst: RoTS- Choking scene
    Horror: Not sure
    Suspense: RoTS - Anakin's conversion to Darth Vader

Abeja:

Tragedy: RoTS - Funeral Scene
    Action: Not sure
    Angst: RoTS - Near the end of the Obi vs. Ani/Vader fight scene

4. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Great job Alexis, you guessed all of mine. =D=

5. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Ooops, I missed the example....

Romance: ROTS - the scene where Padme talks about having her baby on Naboo.

Comedy: ROTS - the rescue/escape with Palpatine at the beginning of the movie

Horror: TESB - the carbonite chamber scene with Han.

6. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    ardavenport guessed all of mine... though I was purposefully misleading on the Horror one, because when I came up w/ the titles, I did realize it could be interpreted as the scene where Han was carbonated... er, carbon freezed :p, and I kept it the way it was.

7. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Alexis guessed two of mine and ardavenport one.

Romance: RoTS, balcony scene w/ Ani/Padme
    Romance: ROTS - the scene where Padme talks about having her baby on Naboo.
    Horror: RoTS, Funeral for Padme/Just before donning the mask

The comedy one was ROTS - the elevator scene with Obi-Wan and Anakin talking about R2.

[color=blue][b]#9 Series titles[/b][/color]

Okay, you've just finished the first of a series of stories and suddenly you realize that you're going to need/want to title the series as well as each fic. Or you realize that you have a series in the making and need to title your stories to let your readers know. What to do???

Book series have been around for a long time. Legacy of the Force, X-Wing, Jedi Apprentice, to name just a few. Then there is the Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, Anne of Green Gables and her sequels. Heck even the Oedipus plays were all part of a series.

The problem is that you might already have difficulties just naming one story. Now you have to name more and tie them all together somehow.

Obviously, the series titles have to deal with the overall arc of the storyline so it needs to get to the very heart of it. It should to be mysterious enough that it doesn't give away the ending in the last story of the series but also clear enough that the reader has some idea of what to expect. It also needs to engage the reader in a way that will last since series usually take a longer time to complete than a stand-alone story.

Book titles range all over the place in terms of series titles. Frankly, you don't have to title your series. Your readers will follow a series to the next story and you can always link the last one in your summary but it's nice to have.

I would caution you that your series titles should have the same tone and style as your story titles so that they appear as a cohesive set.

[color=blue][b]Examples of series titles:[/b][/color]

These have the overall arc right up front and that the main thrust of each series is in the series title. [blockquote][i]Legacy of the Force: Sacrifice
    Last of the Jedi: Against the Empire
    XWing: The Bacta Wars[/i][/blockquote]
    These titles tell you that they might be in a series but they could also be stand-alone.[blockquote][i]Han Solo at Star's End[/i] (although the first edition was called [i]Han Solo at Star?s End: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker[/i] ? further printings left out the longer title)
    [i]Han Solo's Revenge
    Han Solo and the Lost Legacy[/i][/blockquote]
    These titles don't tell you that they are a series and it's up to the reader to find out.[blockquote][i]Heir to the Empire
    Dark Force Rising
    The Last Command[/i][/blockquote]

[color=blue][b]Questions:[/b][/color][blockquote]1. Have you written a series or are about to write one? Do you have a series title or only the titles for each story? Does it matter to you?
    2. If you have a series, how did you go about figuring out what the series title should be? Was there anything that could help the others here?
    3. As a reader, do you look for titles that indicate there is a series going on? Does it make you want to read it or move along to the next story? [/blockquote]
    [color=blue][b]Exercise: [/b] [/color]

We all know Star Wars was the series title for the set of movies we all know and love. Come up with 5 alternate series titles for the movie set, keeping the original chapter titles the same.

Or if you have a favorite book series (it doesn't have to be Star Wars), come up with at least 5 alternate series titles or titles that look like they are a series.

[color=blue][b]Examples:[/b][/color]

[b]Movie series title instead of Star Wars[/b]
    Deathwatch
    Fallen Star
    Heroes
    Deadly choices
    Hell's road

[b]Play series ? Oedipus Rex[/b]
    Oedipus Rex: The Curse of the Sphinx
    Oedipus Rex: Revelations at the Sybil's Cave
    Oedipus Rex: Blind Revenge
    Oedipus Rex: Destruction in a Mother's Kiss
    Oedipus Rex: Antigone's Choices

8. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Space Opera

The Rebel Breed

The Rise and Fall of the Galactic Empire

Tales of the Jedi

Chronicles of the Force

Am I on the right track?

9. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    You sure are on the right track, brodiew!

10. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Questions:
    1. Have you written a series or are about to write one? Do you have a series title or only the titles for each story? Does it matter to you?

I am working on a series now which at first only started as a vignette, grew into a short story, and then by the middle became a series? I announced that there will be four parts to the series, but now I think it will have to be at least five. Yes, the series has a title.

2. If you have a series, how did you go about figuring out what the series title should be? Was there anything that could help the others here?

When I started the first story, it was only supposed to be about how Owen and Beru met and fell in love. Researching Beru and Owen led me to fleshing out the Whitesun family, and the series is actually going to focus on the Whitesun and Lars families as well as Owen and Beru. Since the story is mostly romance, and it takes place on Tatooine, I settled on ?A Twin Sun?s Romance?. Of course, there is some humor in it as well, and there will be some action too, but is still essentially a romance.

As far as anything that would help others, all I can do is reiterate ? that a series title should reflect all the stories as a whole and not be too specific.

3. As a reader, do you look for titles that indicate there is a series going on? Does it make you want to read it or move along to the next story?

It doesn?t make me want to read or not read the story.

Exercise:

We all know Star Wars was the series title for the set of movies we all know and love. Come up with 5 alternate series titles for the movie set, keeping the original chapter titles the same.

Or if you have a favorite book series (it doesn't have to be Star Wars), come up with at least 5 alternate series titles or titles that look like they are a series.

Darkness Rising and Descending
    To Turn or Not to Turn
    Galaxy Span
    Heroes? Fate
    Swords of Light and Darkness

11. Drabba_the_Hutt

Drabba_the_Hutt Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    Much of my early writing for the net was series stuff back in the pre-Web days. [It was shared-universe comics parody, so most writers had their own series, and there were some on which many of us would take turns.] So the series title came first. Some of the series I wrote didn't have running themes through the "issue" titles, but at least two did. In one, the individual titles were puns off movie titles, and the other's titles were all "[One word] of Doom!"

As for coming up with a series title, I'd say that there's no trick, as such. But it does deserve as much care as the individual story/episode titles, because you're going to be looking at it a whole lot longer.

Here are a few alternate titles for book series. They should be easy to guess, though.

One:
    The Boy Who Lived
    Hogwarts Heptalogy
    Lavender Brown's School Days

Two:
    The Orphans' Ordeal
    Vexation, Fatigue, and Disquiet
    Three Against the Count

Eh, I'll do more later.

12. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Ah, two cool series... I like The Boy Who Lived the best for the Harry Potter Series, and for the Series of Unfortunate Events, I like Three Against the Count as an alternative.

13. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    brodiew ? I liked the Tales of the Jedi the best!

Alexis ? I try not to write series so I've never even thought about titles for any, beyond what the initial title would be.

I liked Swords of Light and Darkness. Had a mythical feel to it.

Drabbo ? LOL on the Harry Potter stuff. I liked The Boy who lived the best although the Lavender Brown one was cool.

Three against the Count was interesting but I'd never read the books so it probably lost something in the translation.

Great job everyone! We are coming down to the wire. Only a few more exercises. I'm going to combined two of them because they are fairly short.

[color=blue][b]#10 Active vs. passive word choices[/b][/color]

I found a wonderful example of active versus passive verb usage online. http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_actpass.html

To quote them, In sentences written in active voice, the subject performs the action expressed in the verb; the subject acts. In sentences written in passive voice, the subject receives the action expressed in the verb; the subject is acted upon.

Active voice is less wordy than passive and because of that, it may seem to be more... well active for titles. The active voice is usually clear and direct, more immediate.

Passive voice is often called wordy and dull. However, it can also make things mysterious or hold off on information to give tension to the title. Passive voice is used when the person/thing performing the action is obvious or unknown ? in this case, it highlights the action and what is being acted upon rather than the person doing the action.

Active voice ? We made mistakes
    Passive voice ? Mistakes were made.

[color=blue][b]Questions:[/b][/color][blockquote]1. Do you use active voice in your titles or don't you notice?
    2. If you use passive voice, do you do it for specific genres?
    3. As a reader, do you tend to click on active voice titles more than passive? Or aren't there enough passive voice titles to make a comparision?[/blockquote]
    [color=blue][b]Exercise: [/b] [/color] Come up with three titles for active and three titles for passive voice. You can use one of your stories or the movies. I must admit I'm not a grammarian so I found this hard to do.

[color=blue][b]Examples:[/b][/color]
    [b]Active[/b][blockquote]When Escaping Destiny, never use a Sabaac deck
    Burn, Vader, Burn
    When banthas fly, can I? ? Tall Tales for Kids and Other Scary Beings [/blockquote]
    [b]Passive[/b][blockquote]Rules were made to be broken but never hearts freely given?
    The past was written in shards of glass
    It is believed that banthas can fly ? wanna bet? [/blockquote]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[color=purple][b]#11 The Header bar and all that extra stuff.[/b][/color]

The header bar can be full of extra bits of information that isn't included in the title per se, things like genre, main characters, updates, etc. Those can be vital to people looking for specific areas or story types. But it can also be overwhelming.

lazykbys_left asked a lot of good questions earlier in this thread but they all come down to one thing. Don't confuse the reader! If there is too much information in the header, then the reader might move on just because the header bar is too busy.

[b]How much information is enough?[/b] And I think this is where we need to get into a little discussion about what that means. Please feel free to disagree or clarify. Each person's take on the header will be different.

[b]Time period[/b] ? Does this need to be included? If it's part of specific book series, then you might want to do that but make sure that your readers know the timeframe and are familiar with the terminology.
    [blockquote]Example:
    LotF ? a current series of books so readers might be familiar with that ? or not if they stopped reading after the Tim Zahn books.
    ABY ? if the reader has to go scurrying to find out what that means, then leave it out. [/blockquote]
    [b]Characters [/b] ? If there are a c

14. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Questions:
    1. What type of title do you usually use for your stories?

Mostly enigmatic. With Wife of Deceit, you can't tell if she's the one being deceitful or if it's the fact that she's married to Palpatine that makes it an appropriate title.

2. Does the title depend on genre for the choice of straightforward or enigmatic or do you go with what feels right?

Absolutely. For example, I would never use "How to Succeed on the Dark Side Without Really Trying" on a serious angst fic.

3. As a reader, what type of title will draw you into reading a fic? Why?

Enigmatic. I need something that makes me want to find out what's going.

Straightforward versus enigmatic exercise:

Wuthering Heights:

Straightforward:

Love and Longing in Five Easy Personality Disorders
    Los Ojos de Mi Novia Muerta (it's a mariachi song about the eyes of his dead girlfriend)
    My Brain-fevered Beloved Went Insane and All I got Was This Lousy T-shirt.

Enigmatic:

What Death Cannot Sunder
    Immortal Despised
    Haunted

15. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Ishtar - I liked your Enigmatic ones the best. What Death Cannot Sunder sounds very intriguing.

Last but not least, the final portion of the titles workshop...

[color=blue][b]Brainstorming! [/b] [/color]

In all the articles I read about creating titles, one idea kept coming up again and again - brainstorming.

Although the authors were talking about book titles, some of the same ideas would work for fics. For a book, it was suggested that you come up with 10-100 titles to begin with. Yes, that many! The articles all said to write down every single title from dramatic to silly and ridiculous. Then it was time to take the list to friends, coworkers, strangers ? a lot of people, not just those you knew well but more objective people and ask them to choose the best title based on what sounds good to them.

But I don't think that's practical for fics. What is a good idea is to write down as many titles as possible, not thinking about how silly or stupid they are, and then look over the list. Think about it, not just for a moment or two but a bit longer and only then choose.

[color=blue][b]Final Exercise:[/b][/color]

Take one of your recent or not-yet posted stories and write a small 2-sentence or less summary of the story. Be sure to include the genre type. Then come up with at least 5 titles, based on what you've been practicing here.

It would be great if people would tell you which title they liked the best out of your list and why (although the why is not a requirement).

[color=blue][b]Example: [/b] [/color]

Attraction - Qui-Gon eats something that makes him irresistible to women. Fifteen year old Obi-Wan is completely embarrassed by the whole thing. Humor.[blockquote]Kisses and Chases and Cake ? oh, my!
    The line forms to the right.
    A hundred women can't be all wrong.
    Speeder bikes and fast women ? just a typical day in the life of a Jedi Padawan
    Food fight ? Jedi style
    Fighting females, flying fast and foolishness
    Escape was not his plan but did he have to enjoy it so much?
    Antidote
    Living in the moment isn't all it's cracked up to be.
    Locked doors and silences are never a good thing
    Sliding on cake and kisses
    Will you stop that! [/blockquote]
    [hr]

[b]That's it ? we're done! [/b]

Did you count how many titles you made up? I bet it was more than you could possibly imagine!

I hope you had fun and learned a few things along the way. Let me know here or by PM if the workshop worked for you or not. I know I had fun!

Now I would ask you to do one more thing?.

[b]I need to be able to gauge how well/poorly the workshop went so that the other planned workshops can change things if necessary to make them better. So please answer these final questions ? either here or by PM.

That includes lurkers, please! [/b]

[color=purple][b]Final questions:[/b][/color][blockquote]1. Was this workshop what you thought it would be?
    2. Was there enough information given, too much or not enough? What was your comfort zone?
    3. Were there too many exercises, too few, just right?
    4. Was the pace right, too slow or too fast?
    5. If you have to do it again, would you?
    6. Any other comments, suggestions, etc? [/blockquote]

Thanks for your participation. It was great and I want to see stories with those wonderful titles!

16. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004

Well, I've gotten a bit behind. Some DRL here and other fan distractions for me. First, my titles for the Genre Exercise:

Angst - - ROTJ, Luke confronting Yoda about Vader
    Haunted Past
    Betrayed
    The Lies They Tell

Horror - - ROTJ, Leia strangling Jabba
    No Air
    Dead Eyes
    Chains of Vengeance

Suspense - - ROTJ, Luke's confrontation with Vader and Palpatine
    Two Paths, One Choice
    Close to the Edge
    Caught by the Dark

Series Titles: Questions:

1. Have you written a series or are about to write one? Do you have a series title or only the titles for each story? Does it matter to you?

I've written two stories where the second story was based on events in the first one, but I don't know if that counts as a series. Otherwise not so far though I have some things in mind.

No series so far. I have one story that could be a series if I write a second one. I have no idea how I came up with the title - it just happened and I liked it. I did write down important nouns from the story until something clicked for a title, so that might help people.

3. As a reader, do you look for titles that indicate there is a series going on? Does it make you want to read it or move along to the next story?

I think that I am less likely to read a series if requires reading a lot of earlier parts to it.

Exercise: We all know Star Wars was the series title for the set of movies we all know and love. Come up with 5 alternate series titles for the movie set, keeping the original chapter titles the same.

- Force of Light and Dark
    - The Rise and Fall of Anakin Skywalker
    - The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader
    - Star Republic, Galactic Empire
    - Droid Adventures

None of these sound as good as 'Star Wars' to me, which makes me think that short and simple are best for series titles.

More to come. . . . . . :)

17. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I?m sorry, I fell behind with the workshop? At least I'll try to answer the questions.

#5 Inside Jokes

1. If you use inside jokes, do you get readers who may not understand the 'inside' part? Do you explain it?

The only ?inside joke? title I ever used (calling the sequel to a certain fic What Have I Gotten Me Into?) was between myself and... myself, and eventually the readers that read both stories. I did not explain it at the time and I think nobody noticed, because the title still related a lot to the characters and the story.

2. As a reader, do you feel that the title loses some of its punch when you find out it's an inside joke? Do you care that it's an inside joke?

No to both (as a reader) as long as the title still fits the story and not only the joke.

#6 Pop culture

1. Do you incorporate pop culture into your titles?

Not really. Pop culture changes, er, from culture to culture, so things that are very familiar to me are probably pretty obscure for anybody else here and viceversa[face_blush] ...

2. Do you worry about whether the story will stand up to the test of time or is it just fun to write now and you don't worry about it lasting?

Can?t answer that (see above).

3. As a reader, do you like pop culture titles or not? Why?

More or less. Only if they really fit in the SW universe or they?re carefully adapted to it (and that if I catch them).

#7 Clichés

1. Do you realize when you are using a cliché or is it just something that is ingrained in your vocabulary and you don't even notice? Do you care?

That?s a tough one. Not being a native speaker sometimes it?s difficult to judge if something is a cliché or not, but I try to avoid the most obvious ones, most of the time.

2. As a reader, do you care if it's a cliché?

Not specially, but I guess they are a little less attractive to me than original titles.

#7 Series

Yes, I?ve written two (unintentional) series: The Other Leia/TheJob/Friends and The Best I Can Do/What Have I Gotten Me Into?. One has a series title: The Other Leia - the title of the first vignette out of three; the other does not (but those are two longer, stand alone stories).

The name of my only named series was not difficult to choose since the the three vignettes are told from the same character?s POV, the OC for which the first vignette was named. I guess what you need to find a suitable series name is to find what all the stories have in common, beyond being sequels from each other, right?

Sometimes. It?s nice if the author warns the potential readers if the story is part of a series or not and if it can be read as a stand alone or not. I personally prefer when each story can be read separately from the others, specially for longer series. If I like that story in particular, it?s highly probably that I?ll go in search of the others.

Final questions:

1. Was this workshop what you thought it would be?

I didn?t have many expectations, but it was a little longer than I expected it to be.

2. Was there enough information given, too much or not enough? What was your comfort zone?

I think the amount of info was just right.

3. Were there too many exercises, too few, just right?

Too many (for my schedule) but I liked that they made me think about issues I had never thought before even if I never got around to do them?

4. Was the pace right, too slow or too fast?

I think the schedule should have been defined

18. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Still catching up a bit....

Questions: Active vs. passive word choices

1. Do you use active voice in your titles or don't you notice?

I don't really notice. Often titles are single words, sentence fragments or phrases without active or passive voices.

2. If you use passive voice, do you do it for specific genres?

In story writing, I use passive voice when I want the narrative to go slower, though I more consciously use active voice. I often have to work more to make sure I'm using active voice; passive voice seems to happen all on its own.

3. As a reader, do you tend to click on active voice titles more than passive? Or aren't there enough passive voice titles to make a comparison?

I have not really noticed either way.

Exercise: Come up with three titles for active and three titles for passive voice.

I looked at my story titles and only a few of them are complete sentences; most are words and phrases, so I'll try original titles. I took the active titles and made them passive just to test out the difference.

Active
    - A Door Opens
    - The Sun Hides
    - See Luke and Leia Hide

Passive
    - A Door Was Opened
    - The Sun Is Hidden
    - Luke And Leia Were Seen Hiding

Questions: The Header bar and all that extra stuff.

1. How much 'stuff' do you include in the header?

- Title
    - Main Characters and 'OC' if they are prominent
    - Story Type (like action or humor)
    - 'One-Post' if it is a single post story
    - The date of the last story post if it is a multi-part story

2. Do you worry about the header steering readers away from your story?

No. I can't do anything about someone being put off by the basics in the header, like a story type or character that they might not be interested in.

3. As a reader, does it help you to choose which story to read?

Yes. There really are some characters I am more interested in, and sometimes I'm in the mood for a certain type of story, and my time to read fics can be limited.

Exercise: Come up with at least 2 headers for this story.

Or if you want to do a different book (even Harry Potter), please choose one that most people would know and do the headers for that.

Long
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Harry, Ron, Hermione, Weasleys and nearly everyone - Drama, Action, Romance - Series Ending!!!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - HP, RW, HG, W Fam, LV, SS, LL and nearly everyone else - Drama, Angst, Action, Romance - Series Ending!!!

Short
    Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows - HP, RW, HG - Drama/Action - Series End!!!
    Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows - HP, RW, HG - Drama - Character Death - Series End!!!

More to come. . . . . . :)

19. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    I'm back......

Final Exercise:
    Take one of your recent or not-yet posted stories and write a small 2-sentence or less summary of the story. Be sure to include the genre type. Then come up with at least 5 titles, based on what you've been practicing here.

Options: Qui-Gon takes an option for a marriage with a young woman with very strong opinions. Obi-Wan is upset by his master's hasty actions, in more ways than one. Drama, humor, minor angst.

- Mayb, or Mayb Not
    - Rogue Engagement
    - The Jedi Itch
    - How to NOT Redecorate a Jedi
    - She's So Pretty

Hmmmmmmm, I like 'Rogue Engagement' a bit since it fits the content and activities in the story the best. That (and shortness) is really what I look for in a title.

Final questions:
    - 1. Was this workshop what you thought it would be?

Yep, I think so.

- 2. Was there enough information given, too much or not enough? What was your comfort zone?

The amount of information looked about right to me.

- 3. Were there too many exercises, too few, just right?

There were a lot of exercises, but since the exercises were only titles, I don't really think there were too many. The length of the exercises were about right, too. Also, the questions that came with the exercises were good 'warm up' for the exercises themselves.

- 4. Was the pace right, too slow or too fast?

The pace seemed fast to me, especially for anyone who might not log onto the forum every day, but again, we were only doing titles, not text

- 5. If you have to do it again, would you?

Yes, I would do another workshop though I would likely skip a titles one, since I've already donw one. :)

- 6. Any other comments, suggestions, etc?

The one thing that I would add is more information on 'how' one comes up with titles. Sometimes I will think of a cool story right away and once I start using that with a story, I don't want to change it. If I have a title I want, it becomes part fo the identity of the story to me regardless of whether I think it will attract readers. If I don't think of a cool title right away, my methods for looking for one are:
    - writing down names of characters, things, etc in the story
    - writing down words that describe the story
    - writing down a short summary
    - writing down words from all of that stuff written down until something 'clicks'

What I learned from this workshop is about the types of titles I like and don't like which I hadn't really thought much about before. I strongly prefer short, catchy titles, especially for fitting on a subject header. I prefer single words or short phrases to long titles and complete sentences, though I will sometimes use longer ones. I love a good play on words or a pun, but often I don't think of one, so I'll go with something short.

I always desire a title for my story before I start writing it, but often don't have one and have to use a 'dummy' title for it and the file name where I write it. The story doesn't feel like it can be 'complete' without that title to attach to it. I ALWAYS write faster on a story that has a title that I like and am happy with.

20. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    ardavenport ? wow, you've been busy. On the titles?

For Genre loved the Chains of Vengeance. Great title!

For the series ? I agree with you. Star Wars is a great title for that series. LOL on the Droid Adventures.

Active vs passive ? I liked the active ones the best. A Door Opens was my favorite of that set.

Header bar ? For some reason I really liked this one. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Harry, Ron, Hermione, Weasleys and nearly everyone - Drama, Action, Romance - Series Ending!!!

Brainstorming ? I also liked Rogue Engagement. It fit the story the best.

The final questions.

I really appreciate that Golden_Jedi and ardavenport gave me some feedback. It will help with the other workshops. But if anyone else has something to say in the way of feedback, feel free here or you can PM me with suggestions.

1. Was this workshop what you thought it would be?
    Golden_Jedi thought it was longer than she'd expected and Anne thought it was okay. I also thought it was longer than I had expected. I had wanted the workshop to last about 2-3 weeks and it lasted well over a month ? a little too long for what I'd hoped. That was also why I posted faster than I would have liked. I didn't want to compete with the other workshop but it ended up being too long anyway.

- 2. Was there enough information given, too much or not enough? What was your comfort zone?
    Both of you thought it was just right.

- 3. Were there too many exercises, too few, just right?
    GJ thought there were too many for her schedule; Anne thought it was just right considering that they were titles.

- 4. Was the pace right, too slow or too fast?
    GJ thought the schedule should have been decided ahead of time and Anne thought it was too fast. I would also agree with both of you. Again it was much longer than I had planned but I didn't want to skimp on any of the catagories ? oops on my part. [face_blush] But that's how we learn.

- 5. If you have to do it again, would you?
    GJ said yes, Anne said that she'd do another workshop because she'd done this one.

- 6. Any other comments, suggestions, etc?
    Thanks GJ. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Anne would have liked more information as to how to come up with titles. An excellent point. I had no idea how to do that (other than the brainstorming idea). I do come up with titles the same way as Anne but I usually list several and choose from that list.

I also learned a lot about what kind of titles I like. I'm going to be more observant in future.

[face_dancing] Thanks to everyone for participating, even if you were only reading along. I really appreciate it! [:D]

21. Abeja

Abeja Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Hi dianethx,
    I just wanted to tell you, how much fun this workshop was! Sadly, I missed the last exercises, but I really loved participating.
    This was a great idea and coming up with fitting titles was sometimes a challenge, but I think we have all learned something here. As for taking part again, I certainly would.
    Hope it's okay, if I post this here[face_worried]

22. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Abeja - don't worry that you didn't finish all the exercises. Whatever you were comfortable with was fine with me. Thanks for letting me know that you enjoyed it and learned a few things! :) Keep writing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.