main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

World Cup icons

Discussion in 'Communications' started by George_Roper, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Can we have more than just one generic WC icon, please? e.g. I would greatly appreciate a St.George's cross or a shot of Golden Balls' ass.

Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please

Please? [face_praying]

2. Aquila_Skywalker

Aquila_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2004
    I second this motion.

3. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    //puts on devils advocate hat because 'twill come up inevitably

why WC icons and not, say, NBA, NFL or AFL icons?

you could let people have NBA, NFL or AFL icons if their team is in the final? this is fair because they come around each year as opposed to every 4 years (World Cup, Rugby World Cup, Olympics) whereby multiple icons could forseeably be allowed for the entire tournament.

or you could allow icons for all playoff teams each year. although that may be considered too much.

the problem is a spiraling into free for all situation but you could just allow special icons upon request/when there's enough support or something?

4. darth_da

darth_da Jedi Master star 1

May 27, 2005
    yup, some footie icons would be nice.

football>other sports

5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Thirded, fourthed and fifth'd.

I'd even get some socks to vote if it would help.

It should be easy enoigh to get some google images of the flags of the nations involved and drop them down to icon size and upload them for the world cup.

I'd do it myself if I wasn't sure of my ineptitude in creating anything like this.

Here are some flags for your enjoyment though

[image=http://www.thisishampshire.net/hampshire/southampton/thesaints/wallpaper/england_flag_thum.jpg]

[image=http://www.bus2000.it/flag/usa_flag_1152.jpg]

[image=http://oriana.nomadlife.org/hello/353488/640/brazil%20flag-2005.04.20-07.56.03.jpg]

EDIT Slaps epic down but still answers anyway.

The World cup is once every four years and cover teams from all around the world unlike the World Series, Cricket etc...

I would have no issues with Olympic icons being made and available for when the Olympics come back but these sort of icons if agreed should be used for Special occasions that happen periodically instead of yearly.

I wouldn't ask for Icons for the CONCACAF cup of Euro 2008 as it only affects an isolated number of nations within the boards but the World Cup and Olympics can potentially affect everyone.

National flags for these events would be a nice touch IMO

6. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    deja vu - didn't we have this conversation in another thread ?

We did have NBA icons at one point.

I totally and wholeheartedly am against non-SW icons (or non-JC icons)

7. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    yeah we did have this conversation but nothing really came of it. as it goes.

i am against non-SW icons too but the precedent has already been set. thus i'll add my support to this pleading thread even though i won't use any of the icons.

there was a Lakers icon made available a few years ago but there's never been any distinct policy in regards to it, i don't think. this year, for example, you could have multiple WC icons and in a couple of weeks have Mavs and Pistons icons as they will both be in the NBA finals very shortly.

8. Aquila_Skywalker

Dec 14, 2004
    The World Cup is so special to people though it's a bigger event than even the olympics by tv ratings and a hell of a lot more people actually care about it.

9. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Every 4 years people from all over the world join together to enjoy and celebrate the WC. But there is a darker element as well. Football hooliganism. Without a variety of WC icons to choose from, some impressionable minds (malkie comes to mind) might be tempted to seek out another means of displaying their support for their team/country (oh...Scotland didn't make the WC...I guess malkie isn't a good example then). Mods of the JCC, I urge you..no...I implore you...do your part to ensure that the WC is celebrated and not desecrated. Vote YES for a wider selection of WC icons. It is the moral choice.

10. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Basketball is a sport that has many international players, and is popular around the world. Regardless of the fact that soccer is more popular in a good portion of the world, they are both just sports. People are fans, and are passionate about both.

If icons are allowed for one sport, they should be allowed for all. I'm not going to complain until I ask Droideka to allow icons for the NBA finals and am denied, though.

11. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm sorry you can in no way compare basketball and football in their fan base.

Football>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>basketball by a long chalk.

anyway back on topic.

The only icons I would accept would be seasonal and would be for WORLDWIDE sporting events such as the World Cup and the Olympics and thats pretty much it.

12. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    You're intitled to your opinion about which sport is superior, that's beside the point. If icons are allowed here for one sport, they should be allowed for others.

If moderaters like DP4M are going to use the whole "This a U.S. based site, with the majority of the users being American" argument for saying that international users aren't as important as American users when it comes to forums for the upcoming Star Wars tv series, than American sports should be considered just as important(if not more so) than international sports.

13. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    as i said in the other MS update when this discussion took place, sure the WC is worldwide and has 32 nations involved but how many posters are here from Ghana, Spain or the Ivory Coast? the vast majority of posters in the JCC are American so i have no problem allowing domestic sport icons. just as long as icons are then made available, upon request for other nations sports finals series or whatever, if so desired.

14. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    We're not going to be considering American sports for icons unless we consider other individual countries' sports and I don't see that happening. A worldwide sport is one that is based in more than one or two contries and that's all that we'll consider icons for at this point. The most I can see happening is icons based on those teams who make it to the finals of a given sport, especially the world-wide sports like the World Cup unless it's the generic icon like we did for the Olympics.

15. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    That's fine Rhonderoos. I'm not getting bad on the fact that icons are allowed for a sport I don't really follow. I'm not arguing to have icons for any one sport, be it American or international. I'm just saying if they are allowed for one, they should be allowed for others.

I'm also just rallying for temporary icons for the top two teams, in the finals, for any given sport.

And just for the record, why were icons allowed for the Lakers and Pistons, in the NBA finals, a few years ago? I remember Dash Underscore got flat out turned down for the same concession last year.

Seriously, I'll quit complaing if you just flat out say "no icons that don't involve Star Wars in any way", but it's flat out wrong to allow it for one, and not the other.

Would it really be that terrible to allow the basketball fans here that one little thing? You have about as many regular basketball fans posting in the NBA thread, as you do soccer fans fans posting in the soccer thread. So, does it really matter about the semantics regarding the worldwide popularity of the specific sport?

16. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I wasn't saying football is better than basketball and I'm sorry if you got that impression.

I was refering to the fan base.

Football has a far larger fanbase than basketball

I do however prefer football to basketball but I do enjoy playing basketball.

Baseball (Rounders) is another story

17. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Like I said, you prefer one over the other as do I, I took no offense over what you said earlier. :) I'm not complaining because soccer icons are being allowed, I'm complaining because the same concessions aren't being provided for fans of other sports.

18. Aquila_Skywalker

Dec 14, 2004
    I think it's irrelevant Basketball has international players because in reality, it's basically an American sport, the Premiership or Serie A for example are made up of a massive amounts of foreign players but we don't ask for icons for our club teams because this is different. Sure Basketball is played internationally in the Olympics and whatnot but this is just not even worth comparing it to. I mean, when the world cup is on nearly every car in England has an England flag stuck to each side... the place goes mental and similar levels of enthusiasm can be said of almost every other nation bar probably America.

I think anyone could appreciate the difference and besides, it's not like many users will have them. They don't even have to be logos, pics of players etc, they could just be flags.

19. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    If basketball and baseball etc... had a World Cup that involved nations from around the world on the level of the World Cup and Olympics then I would support it.

In my first post i said that I wouldn't want it done for something like Euro 2008 which is Europes Football championship nor would i want it for CONCACAF (America's football championship) as it would only involve a small proportion of posters.

The Wolrd cup and Olympics potentially covers everyone who posts here, Football, track and field fan or not.

20. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Of course both of you are from the UK, and soccer is more popular in your country. I'm fine with that, and I'm not pitting the two sports against each other.

Regardless of the sport's worldwide popularity, both sports have a large fanbase amongst the site's users.

If it's allowed for one, it should be allowed for the other.

It's not like I'm arguing for icons for Golf or Lacrosse, or Rugby.

21. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    We're only advocating icons for worldwide events though.

If we're not then George wants a Chelsea icon, I want a Barrow one etc........

Slippery slope syndrome.

Worldwide sporting events or nothing is the way to go IMO

22. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I agree. And it's not like they'll be around forever. As soon as the event is over the icons will be removed until next time. Just like what happened with the Olympics icons.

23. Aquila_Skywalker

Dec 14, 2004
    Yeah the crucial thing here is that this is different, comparing the national European football leagues to the NBA or the NFL and saying if one gets icons then the others should too makes sense, but this is a international thing that only comes along every 4 years. Also, the domestic sports icons would have to be practically permanent since they go on every year, these wouldn't.

24. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    That's fine, I'm not asking for permanent icons. I'm not asking for every basketball team to get recognized in icon form. I'm not arguing for every team that makes the NBA finals to get an icon. I'm simply asking for two weeks(at most) to be able to support one of the two teams that make it to the NBA finals.

I'm simply stating that if one sport can get recognition and fans can show off their spirit and passion for their home team, it should be allowed for sports that other users are passionate about.

As far as the Olympics are concerend, they shouldn't even come into this conversation. There are what? 50 or so individual and team sports involved in the Olympics. Hell, about the only thing you can root for in the Olympics is for the pride of your home country.

25. Aquila_Skywalker

Dec 14, 2004
    Well if you say that then why shouldn't I have had an LFC icon for the FA Cup finally recently or the European Cup Final last year? If you keep it to the world cup at least then you can say it's because it's an international event inolving national teams.

Honestly, I wouldnt have a problem with every user on the forum being aloud to have any icon they liked, sports related or not, as long as it was a certain size and conformed to the TOS etc like most forums do but guess that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.