main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

World Cup icons

Discussion in 'Communications' started by George_Roper, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I wish we could keep them, or least get rid of the damned [face_flag] emoticon. Lousy unfair nationalism!

E_S

2. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    We have absolutely no say or choice over the IGN emoticons loaded for us.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    With all of these WC/NBA/NHL playoff icons, can I reasonably presume that we'll get MLB playoff/World Series icons in October?

4. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Fine with me if the admins are ok with it.

5. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Can't you unload them though? :p

6. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I don't see how they wouldn't.

7. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    We've had NBA and NHL icons?

8. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    We have NBA and NHL icons right now (3 of each) for the playoffs and such - I think they were uploaded around the 7th and 4th, respectively.

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well then yeah I would assume we can have icons of the MLB Playoffs teams in September.

10. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I think MLB icons should be held to the same standard(which is new, and had to be discussed at length via this very thread), as the NBA and NHL icons.

For NHL, it's the two Stanley cup teams. For NBA, it's the two NBA Finals teams. So, for MLB it should be the two teams that face each other in the World Series.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh, could we have icons for the Tri-Nations rubgy, or the Bledisloe Cup, or the Ashes cricket series? They have more worldwide exposure than NFL etc...

E_S

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well the Super Bowl is aired in the U.S. (298 million people) and in Canada (32 million) and across Europe (710 million people) so we're talking a possible audience of a billion people or 1/5th the population of earth. I'd say that's pretty much acceptable to have Super Bowl icons.

Do the Tri-Nations rubgy, or the Bledisloe Cup, or the Ashes cricket series have this kind of exposure?

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Exactly.

14. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    ...Europeans watch that?

*disowns Europe*

15. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Don't you think that the Rugby world cup would be better suited for this? The Tri-Nations tourney isn't something most people outside of Australia, New Zealand and South Africa would follow since those are the only countries that compete in it.

I have no clue about the other tow since I barely know what cricket is and have no idea what the Bledisloe Cup is either.

16. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Well, you could have the Tri-Nations and the Six Nations (England, France, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Italy) for Rugby, plus the World Cup. The Ashes is just a yearly series of Cricket games between England and Australia over the burned remains of a cricket stump (The Ashes) that were meant to signify the death of English cricket :p

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Why? Despite Strilo's somewhat inaccurate claims, the Superbowl is watched mainly within the US and Canada - and whilst it may have the potential to reach 1bn people, so does Neighbours and nobody wants that to be made into an icon set! [face_worried] Tri-Nations adds one nation to that, no?

E_S

18. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    the difference in the Tri Nations is it's the same teams every year. i think the two finalists of the Super 14 would be a more accurate comparison to the Superbowl as it is the culmination of an entire season.

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I cannot speak for all of Europe but living in Germany I can tell you the Super Bowl was on here. And I had lots of Germans asking me if I was watching it. Remember there is an NFL Europe. Also many Germans LOVE basketball, so the NBA has more than just the US and Canada. Something that involves only Australia, New Zealand and South Africa is not nearly widely celebrated enough to justify icons here. I think the Rugby world cup would be something that could definately be used for icons. Is there a Cricket World Cup type thing?

20. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    there is a one day cricket world cup, yes.

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    So why not add a Rugby World Cup and the Cricket World Cup to the list of icon events we do?

22. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I'm fine with rugby and cricket World Cup icons. I'll need specific dates, team names, # of participants, if there's a JCC thread on the games, etc...

We will be having MLB icons for the playoffs and World Series as well as some generic icons. As teams are eliminated, the icons will be removed. The champion and generic icons will remain a few days after the champion is declared.

Same with football, playoffs, Super Bowl.

Please let me know of any events around the world where an icon may be cool to upload on a short-term basis. It doesn't necessarily have to be sports-related.

23. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Is it sad that my most successful thread was in the Comms? :p

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Sape can I suggest some sort of Oktoberfest icon? It's celebrated in Germany and America...

25. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    We can discuss it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.