main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate World War II - 80 Years On

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jean-Luc Picard, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Jean-Luc Picard

Jean-Luc Picard Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 13, 2018
    A remembrance thread.

September 1, 1939, from Wikipedia,

"Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II."

"Switzerland mobilizes its forces and the Swiss Parliament elects Henri Guisan to head the Swiss Armed Forces (an event that can happen only during war or mobilization)."

"Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people."

AutumnLight91 likes this.
  2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah, well, it turns out we've learned nothing from that war.

3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
  4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    and now we're suppose to allow vile people to march with swastika flags under free speech? Talk about going assbackwards.,

5. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Well considering we have people marching with communist flags and they're fine with that when communism is worse is something to scratch your head at

6. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I see you've given up the pretence and are just parroting Nazi apologetics now.

7. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Didn't say I was. I'm just saying you can't call out one without looking at the other. Part of the reason the nazis rose was to fight communism.

Let that sink in

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It’s sinking in, but probably not in the way you intended.

9. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Of course you didn't say you were parroting Nazi apologetics. That's just what you were doing arlol.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, communism, an ideology that, however its proponents have acted, says that everyone should be equal, is worse than Nazism, an ideology that fundamentally rejects equality and says that wide swaths of humanity should be dominated if not exterminated. Great insights, GuardianofProudBoys.

11. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    How can you still have this confusion in your mind in 2019 ?
    Communism is an economic model. The fact that some people adopting that economic model commit terrible things does not mean that the purpose of the model is to do just that. It's like saying that vegans are all terrible because Hitler was vegan.

12. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Shush, Arlol is already probably writing a screed about how the liberals are secretly the Nazis because they're somehow oppressing white, straight men.

If he ever finds out that there is a 90% chance that he's eaten some kind of product that contains soy within just the last week, he'll believe that veganism is a secret plot by mecha-Hitler to control his brain via tofu.

13. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Say the communist apologizers responsible for killing how many hundreds of millions and still hurting people currently

Yeah I'm going to take crap from any of you liberal bleeding hearts. Commies and nazies suck. Just got to realize they're both in the same bed of craziness

--------
    On topic

WW2, the epitome of wars that continues today should be studied. To forget causes and the effects of it because we're "offended" by history is no more what the nazis did in burning the books. We have to learn to prevent it unless we repeat it.

There is so much to study on the war that still new information comes out about it till this day. Its fascinating. Like in all my school years I never heard what happened at Dunkirk till I the movie came out and I researched it. Amazing how people banded together to get the soldiers.

I haven't seen Darkest Hour yet, the film with Gary Oldman as Churchill. Anyone see it?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  14. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Right on cue.

15. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Did you know Churchill was a raging bigot who favored genocide in India?

For folks like you, World War II is mostly just a way to project your tough-guy facade while laundering it with “good war” righteousness.

16. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I will make a final, desperate attempt: give me your definition of nazism, fascism and communism. I want to know your level of understanding of the topic.

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I mean if being a bleeding heart liberal is to dislike the systematic attempted destruction of certain groups of people...I suppose I am.

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I will don the title bleeding heart liberal with pride as it means I have a heart and care about more than just myself.

Only question is, what do I call those that are the opposite?

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The one thing Arlon and @Lord Vivec have in common is calling everyone here a liberal. :p

20. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Sorry, but I've never seen anyone marching with communist flags or advocating for communism. We don't have a communist problem here in the West. We do have a fascist and neo-Nazi problem.

Also, communism was born due to a backlash against the extreme income equality of the time. The extremely wealthy used their wealth and power to screw over everybody else, and big surprise, some people turned to communism. If you don't want communism to come back, you need to take steps to reduce income inequality, the same way FDR did.

21. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Meh, technically Nazism asked for everyone who was deemed to be part of the peoples to be equal as well, though just like in communism that never was true at any point either. Both Nazism and all implementations of communism decided upon who was deemed worthy enough to belong to the group. So that's not really an argument I'd try to go with.

Doesn't change the fact that AutumnLight's comparison is completely useless and indicates a complete lack of knowledge on the matter of Nazism and Communism, and especially about what communism actually is. Neither are there flags of communism - only flags of nations that presented themselves as being communists - nor does anyone in the west really run around with any of them either. It's nothing but a lazy attempt to change the debate. Par for the course...

22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    This is not an accurate understanding. Nazism (and fascism in general) require a hierarchy upon which a select few are than others. At each level, this breakdown continues. There is no equals. You have your betters and you have your lessers.

Communism has no such requirement. In fact, it requires a classless society to be implemented.

23. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
  24. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    It seems to me that we are comparing apples with oranges here.
    Fascism is an ideology regarding the structure of government. So it's mostly about politics, not economics. Roughly speaking, we consider to be fascist whoever wants a society that is governed by an authoritarian regime which is strongly nationalistic.
    Communism is an economic model based on the idea of the common ownership of the means of production. The form of governments might change, what matters is the economic component.

It is possible to imagine a communist country where there are fair elections and basic civil rights are guaranteed, even if practically it might often not be the case.
    Fascism, on the other hand, is by definition the absence of democracy, and other forms of freedom that we currently give for granted.

"Fascism vs communism "is a false dichotomy.
    If you want to compare stuff, it should rather be "communism vs capitalism" and "fascism vs democracy" (even though that's also pretty reductive, but at least it makes sense conceptually).

Dark Ferus and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Given that fascism was founded explicitly in opposition to communism and leftism of any kind, I don't think it's a false dichotomy at all.