main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive > Worship's Art - Updated Feb.08.07 - Mara Jade + Stormtrooper + Thank-you!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Your_Worshipfulness, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Jedi_Commander_Faofa - That's so kind of you to say, and I really do appreciate it, but I honestly don't think that I'm near that level. There's still a lot of things that I can't do very well or just simply can't do. But it puts a smile on my face that you seem to think so highly of my artwork. So, thank you very much! :)

Zonoma - I think I myself lurked around here on and off for a month or two before I actually signed up. I'm so glad you decided to delurk and that you enjoy my art. And, I thank-you kindly for leaving a comment. :) As for more new art, I'm currently working on something in Photoshop which I'll be hopefully finished with soon. I also was working on a portrait of the Emperor, but that's been more or less put on hold for the time being.

HanSolo29 - Thanks! I don't know how many more 'scenes' you'll be seeing, as it's not something I do on a regular basis. I usually just stick with a character drawing. For "Surrounded", the idea just kind of popped into my head, and it worked out this time. That doesn't happen often, lol. But I have been making an effort to rectify that lately, so who knows?

Thanks for the feedback everyone [face_love]

- Suz ^_~

2. Your_Worshipfulness

May 21, 2005
    This was an idea I've been toying around with for ahwile, but it wasn't until I saw the fan art challenge that I decided to follow through on it. It was inspired by an old "Grand Marnier" advert from the very same magazine I used to draw 'Leia' and 'Yoda' from before, so I had some help with Mara's & Landos' pose. Ofcourse, the rest was modified and changed.

I kind of found it amusing how Lando was sort of pursuing Mara at one point in the books and my warped mind came up with this. On a side note, the stupid looking alien in the back, seen above Mara's head, is completley my own concoction (thus being stupid looking), and just for kicks, the gal behind Lando's head is what I look like when I style my hair up (minus the glasses). Not sure if I pulled off Lando that well, and I don't know what you'll all think of my rendition of Mara. I did spend a little more time on the BG this time around. Hopefully it looks "Star Wars-esque" enough.

"This is not a Date" (Medium - Pencils)

Thanks all for looking.

- Suz ^_~

3. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    OMG, Suz--this is amazing!!! I love this!! You've drawn Mara right out of my own imagination, I swear: the look on her face, her hair having that tight, shiny wave to it (I can just see the coppery highlights, reflecting in the subdued lounge lighting...)--and the look on her face is pure "Jade!" Outstanding!! I just love the entire scene--and the details are stunning!! The perspective, the walls, the glow panels, the other patrons (really diggin' the "alien date" behind Mara--very :cool: !)--the droid-waiters!! It's perfect--right down to the reflections on the glassware on the trays! "Gobsmacked," I tell you--you leave me "gobsmacked!" (Esira tells me it's "an obscure British term for stunned, amazed, speechless, etc...." ;) ) This is marvelous--and you need to put it into the Fan Art Challenge thread, too--Mara Jade is in the list of characters for this month, and this is definitely her! Outstanding work, Suz! =D= =D=

FF

4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    That's such a great drawing! It's not just the way you've packed it with details (though that is rather cool), it's the accuracy of things like the arm holding the glass - beautifully rendered in very subtle tones (I always struggle with hands, so I always am impressed with people who make it look easy), and Mara's face - pretty without being too cartoonish, and an expression that goes beyond the basic "mouth open" or "mouth closed" that a lot of us are stuck with!

5. long_long_ago

long_long_ago Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2005
    I love your works! The details are incredible!!:eek: How did you handle your lines for the small detail things? The rendering also amazing...even the background!

6. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Wonderful!!!! I love it! :D

What really makes this image is the fact that it's filled to the brim with details! You could have just had them at a table with a fuzzed out background but you went the extra mile and it looks truly real! And your take on Mara is so good! First HanSolo offers a brilliant Mara and now you but both takes are quite different which I love! I'd kill for her hair by the way! :D

Oh and concept is quite cheeky and cute as well! :) Well done all round!

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Oh wow, that is awesome! It's full of great detail! Like soits said, you could have easily stopped with just Mara and Lando sitting at a table with a blurred background(heh, that's probably would I would have done :p ), but you took it the extra mile and it looks amazing! I also think it was a cool decision to have Lando's back facing the viewer with just Mara's face showing. Overall, this is a great drawing! Please keep it up! :D

8. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Suz - I'm in shock! This is just absolutely amazing, and by far my favorite of the things you've done (and that's saying a lot, because your other art is outstanding).

The level of detail and mood and atmosphere is just incredible. Looking at it, I feel like I can pick up on a ton of different stories and ideas involving the people in the image: the R2 droid who serves drinks, but maybe fantasizes about copiloting starfighters, the unusual date in the background, where the twilek looks like she's just barely restraining herself from rolling her eyes at another one of the alien's bad jokes, and of course Mara front and center who looks like she's enjoying herself a little too much, so she says her line more to convince herself than Lando.

I love all the little details you added that maybe weren't 'necessary', but add so much life to the image. The paneling on the walls and the variety of glasses, in particular.

The whole thing is just awesome. Wonderful, wonderful work!

9. Your_Worshipfulness

May 21, 2005
    Apologies all. It was my intention to post my reply last time I logged on, but I was just so tired and only managed to throw up a couple of posts. I've been feeling so rundown lately due to a cold that has infiltrated my family household. It seems to be going through my family members one by one and apparently I was next on it's hit list (Thank you oh so much dearest, brother of mine :mad: )

---

FalconFan - Aw, thanks so much! and you are, as always, far too kind! Once I've been inspired or I'm clear on an idea, I can get so caught up in the details that I'll never stop. So you actually like my alien? Originally I was going to draw in a real SW alien but all my attempts to do so ended up looking...bad. I was a little antsy about drawing the droids though. Not only because it was my first attempt at droids, but also that I'm naturally a sketchy person which is something that really doesn't sit well when you have to draw anything mechanical. I even pulled out the dreaded ruler for the BG this time. (I like using rulers just as much as Superman likes kryptonite). Gobsmacked, eh? I've never heard that expression before. Even looked it up online. Thanks! :)

gobsmacked
    adj : (British; informal) utterly astounded

soitscometothis - Well I can't take all the credit for the accuracy of Mara's pose - as I've said, I did have help from the mag for that. I think it would have turned out awful if I hadn't.

Details: Once I'm on a roll, it's hard to stop.

long_long_ago - Thanks, I'm glad you like them. As for my handling of the details, um, I made sure that I took my time and had a well sharpened pencil to get the fine lines and such. Also added in the different styled strokes so that everything didn't blend all together.

Corellian_Rogue - Well, The pic in the mag had another table in the background with a couple sitting at it, but the angle was different from what I did. I more or less just took that and...just kept going. So it wasn't so difficult this time to come up with. Happy to know that my drawing of Mara is liked. Lol, I wish I had her hair too (mine is so...blah)

HanSolo29 - Thank - you! Now I'm glad I made the effort because I'm getting all these compliments. [face_blush]

...though now as I look at it, I can't help but think that maybe it wouldn't have hurt if I took a little more time on some of the areas - like the table in the back is slightly lopsided and I forgot to erase a circle that I had drawn on the droid up front - stuff like that. Oh And I will try my very best to continue to come up with work that everyone seemingly enjoys. ;)

wicktone - Oh, why Thank - you wick :) I rather like your ideas for the 'filler' characters. Your thoughts for the droid particulary amused me. Would you believe that I actually had to sit back and think for a minute on what glassware in the Star Wars universe looks like? lol. One of the reasons I dislike drawing fan art is that I always have trouble trying to match the look and feel, and then I end up worrying over something so trivial as glassware of all things.

Thank - you everyone for taking the time to look and comment. :)

- Suz ^_~

10. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    WOW, Your_Worshipfulness! These are amazing, especially the last one! That one is my favourite. There's so much beautiful detail and lighting. Wow! :D

11. bwize

bwize Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2004
    Beautuful work Your_Worshipfullness. I absolutley love the detail you achieve in your Mara Jade works. In Surrounded, the detail in her robes is fantastic. I am amazed at your ability to draw these from your imagination with such fervor and rich detail and so well proportioned.

And then there are your referenced works. Yoda is quite simply STUNNING!BEAUTIFUL!AMAZING! Very realistic. Leia is fantastic too, but not as detailed as Yoda. You did get her likeness dead on and the detail in her eyes is beautiful. I just think that you need to bump up the contrast a bit to really solidify the realism factor. Keep up the fantastic work and I look forward to seeing more.

12. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Good freakin' grief! That is an AWESOME drawing! That is no doubt the best drawing I have seen of Mara Jade. And the quote is really funny too.

How long does it take for you to make a drawing like that Your_Worshipfulness?

13. benkenobi151

benkenobi151 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2005
    I think the Princess Leia picture was great, you could really see the weight of the Rebellion on her face. Best of luck in the future.[face_peace]

Oh and you might not see me again, i'm just here on a whim and I think its great, i'll try to come back, but I don't know if I will be able to for a while.

14. Your_Worshipfulness

May 21, 2005
    Idrelle_Miocovani - Thanks! I love details and can sometimes get so caught up in drawing them in.

bwize - Thank - you kindly for the compliments. ^_^

I see what you mean with Leia and I agree with you - I just may have to touch that up in the future. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. My other problem with it is that I made the poor choice of drawing her face far too big, as I would have liked it more if I could have fit her whole head onto the paper. Oh well, I guess.

Jedi_Commander_Faofa - Thanks Cmdr. F! I'd have to say that drawings like the above take anywhere between 5-10 hrs., maybe more. It's kind of hard to say as I usually alternate between projects and I don't really keep track of the time.

benkenobi151 - Thank - you very much for both popping in and taking the time to leave a comment. It's very much appreciated. :)

Thanks a bunch as always all :D

- Suz ^_~

15. Your_Worshipfulness

May 21, 2005
    This was originally just a messy sketch that I had no intention of completing until I started playing around with it in Photoshop. I guess it's a somewhat more provacative pose of 'Slave Leia', but nothing racy. Face-wise, it looks nothing like her. I tried to go for a more painter-ly feel. Good or bad? - you decide.

Boudoir Session - Medium: Pencil/Photoshop | Jul.25.05

The sketched version has more added detail and is slightly different than the PS version.

Sketched Version

As always, thanks for dropping by.

- Suz ^_~

16. DarthMaul431

DarthMaul431 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2003
    "Boudoir Session" is really nice Your_Worshipfulness! I like how you blended the two trilogies together, with the free-flowing violet curtains (which reminds me of Padme's Verandah) and then the mechanical, streamlined chrome colors of the Imperial architecture. Nice blending of ideas. ;)

17. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Who else could it be, filling out that fabulous gold bikini but Leia?? :D ;)

As with "This is not a date," the detailing in this is just marvelous, Suz!! I drooled for a good length of time over the preliminary pencil work--all the perspective and wonderful fabric and drapery--I'm especially enamored of her pose here, very feminine and alluring (gads, I hope she's waiting for Han and not for Jabba!!! **shudders at the thought**). The "bed" she's on is wonderfully done, with lots of soft-looking rolls of cloth--and the coloring you've done is beautiful: I really like the lit panels beneath the bed! Another fantastic piece--and thanks for including the pencil version too (the pencil-freak in me just loves to look at others' techniques! :D )!!

FF

18. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
  19. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    I can't read the title of this without laughing.

Excellent work yet again, Suz! You've really stepped up your detailing lately... I love looking around your latest images and seeing little nicks in the wall, or small lights, or beveled surfaces that you maybe wouldn't notice on first glance. The back wall of this one is outstanding.

I have to echo the sentiments about your blending of the high and lo-tech surfaces here; the curtains and the bed have a very interesting contrast with the more industrial floor and paneling.

You did a terrific job handling Leia's skintone. The deep purple on her shadowed side looks beautiful. And I love how you drew the blanket entangled with her legs. You're an expert at folds!

20. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Great work Your Worship!. I must admit I wasn't sure what to expect with that title but great artwork. I half expected the bed to be a love-heart though LOL! ;) I love the way you combined the tech and the soft drapery, I know others commented on this but it is definitely well done and masterly in fold technique. Well done! All those fan-boys out there will love this Suz!

Oh and don't tell anyone but I'm thinking of doing a special Quinlan pic for all those fangirls too...no fair all the boys get the fun yes? :D

21. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I bet all the fan boys are drooling over that pic right now. But then again, that's part of the fun of being a female fan - we get to drive the guys nuts with things like this. :p

Excellent job on this one. The rendering is just fantastic and the detail you once again put into the backgrand is amazing! But I have to agree with C_R about us girls needing more pictures to drool over. ;)

22. benkenobi151

benkenobi151 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2005
    Well i'm back and it looks like you have posted another great piece of art while I was gone. Definetly very realistic yet also very appealing. I can't wait to see more of your excellent artwork. I'll keep checking in. Good luck. [face_peace]

23. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Whoa, I wasn't expecting that! :D

I'm in awe of your Photoshop coloring skills! Something I need to work on a lot. The back ground looks like she's in some Imperial Admiral's quarters on a Star Destroyer. I can't get over all the details in the pencil version only to be outdone in the colored version! Wow! Excellent job!

"This is not a Date" is just amazing too! There's so much detail in that one, but your immediately drawn to Mara first! I can't wait to see what you come up with next! :)

~DZ

24. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    All hail her Worshipfulness!! :D

Once again, a GREAT piece of work. Lucasfilm should hire you. The coloring is great too. How do you color that well in Photoshop?

25. aurelia-acc

aurelia-acc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2005
    Suz, that's such a beautiful artwork ! =D=
    I really like the sketch version, maybe cause it's very detailed :D , the curtains and the bed are so well done .
    The colored version is awesome, the colors are simply gorgeous :eek: . I'm really impatient to see your next artwork ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.