main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Worst decisions made in star wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Dark Ferus, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    As I wrote earlier, it takes time to recharge the superlaser before it can be fired again. I don't have any other sources right now, it could have been in the novelization, but here is what it says on Wookieepedia:
    So the first DS would have taken an entire day (no idea how many hours SW time) before it could destroy the moon. Of course the Yavin explosion may have destroyed the moon as well, but we don't know that for sure. Also I'd like to know up to what size planets could be destroyed by the first DS. Don't tell me there is absolutely no limit. Consider the huge difference in mass between Earth and Jupiter. Alderaan is probably comparable to Earth in mass. Where is there any evidence that the DS could destroy gas giants thousands of times that mass? It is said it is "powerful enough to destroy planets", not ANY size at all.
    Nope, one of the best casting choices in the whole saga, along with Ewan and Natalie. :D

2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013

Lucas just kept casting lousy actors like Hamill, Ford, Fisher and every single part. Not one good actor ever cast in Star Wars yet. The new movies are even worse!

;)

3. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Yeah.... I wish he would have cast Marlon Brando, DeNiro, Sean Connery, Robert Redford, Laurence Olivier, Meryl Streep and Dustin Hoffman instead. SW would have been SO much better! [face_laugh]

4. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    I don't know... I mean, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kenneth Branagh, and Gillian Anderson aren't exactly names to sneeze at.

5. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    The Jedi Council's decision to not inform the Senate of their diminished Force capacity qualifies as a top contender.

If you think about it for a moment, them letting the Senate know is allowing the Senate to take precautionary measures of their own to protect their institution from possible tyranny. The Senate may be partially corrupt, but even they will act to protect their institution and the Republic. Yoda is right that telling the Senate would increase the Jedi adversaries, but there is a fatal flaw in what he is saying. Yoda's words protect the Jedi, but they do not protect the Republic. Ironically it is Mace who reluctantly admits they should tell the Senate. Not telling the Senate left the Senate with no warning against the coming danger. The Jedi failed in their task to defend the Republic in this instance, in this major instance in fact, by choosing instead to defend themselves. In any real democracy, the institutions are accountable to the people and those the people elect into office. They have a responsibility to inform the Senate and the citizens of any significant changes in their abilities and/or institutions. With the Jedi secrecy, and with them being the Republic's first line of defense against tyranny, the Jedi were completely unaccountable to the citizens, and to the people the citizens elected, and this allowed the Republic to be deceived and lulled into a sense of false security. They had little defense if the Jedi weren't there for them. This would make Palpatine's take-over that much easier.

Palpatine was counting on the Jedi to protect themselves and not notify the Republic. They did exactly what he predicted. Because they did not notify the Republic, the Republic had no way of knowing what was coming, and no way to defend themselves outside reliance on the Jedi. The table was then set for Palpatine to do exactly what he pleased.

Before the arrival of the clones on Geonosis, before the war powers vote, there was a small window of opportunity for the Jedi to realize their situation and inform the Senate of the new development. They would have needed to act quickly. This small window of opportunity could have unraveled some of Palpatine's plan as the Republic would likely have set up more safeguards for their democracy other than just the Jedi. But the Jedi were an entrenched institution, and they did as most old institutions do -- they chose selfishly, as Palpatine expected they would, and the opportunity was missed. This would probably be the last chance to stop the machinery of Palpatine's plan before the Clone Wars put all the gears in place.

Even outside the situation of Vader, for the billions, even trillions, of citizens represented by the Republic and the Jedi, this horrible secret of the growing danger and the Jedi weakness, and the covering up of that secret, may well be the worst and most fateful decision that led directly to the takeover of Republic, and to the creation of the Empire.

--

Another top contender would be Palpatine's dissolution of the Imperial Senate.

Due to the power of the Death Star, the thinking was that with governors in tow, and with the threat of the Death Star behind them, there would no longer be any need for the bureaucracy of the Senate to smooth things over for the systems on the Emperor's behalf. This plan goes well, perhaps, if the Death Star is not destroyed. But it is destroyed, and this rallies many systems around the Rebel cause. Eventually as the Rebels continue to make strides against the Empire, the Empire becomes more fractured, and now without the Senate to have some semblance of power over the systems, the Empire becomes harder to control.

In the end, this decision is fateful. With many Imperials dying in the Battle of Endor, including many of the Imperial high command and the Emperor himself, with Governors then scrambling to control their small systems but with no Emperor left to direct them, the galaxy is plunged into chaos. Although outgunned initially, the momentum shifts rapidly to the Rebels' favor. More systems join the Rebellion and the bureaucracy of the Senate want their jobs back. It's not long before it becomes clear the Empire will fall and the Republic will return with the Senate.

If Palpatine had left the Imperial Senate in place, it's likely the Empire may have been able to survive much longer after his death. Alas, in his greed for even more power to himself, and in his desire for less of the Senate to deal with, he brought a quick end to what at first seemed like a strong and nearly impenetrable system.

6. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Debatable. Don't know the Branagh guy, sorry, but then I only watch movies very infrequently these days. I know DiCaprio was once considered as Anakin. While I like him in most of his roles, and even personally, I don't think he would have played Anakin any better than Hayden. I mean the guy is great, and besides is a great environmental activist. Just watch Before the Flood, a great documentary. One of the best actors out there. But Hayden simply nailed the role, period. I bought his every scene as young Vader. Gillian Anderson?? No kidding? That actress from X Files??? In what role? Never heard that one.

7. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    Most people haven't. The film doesn't generally cross the threshold of Skywalker Ranch.

8. Vasco_Rojo

Vasco_Rojo Jedi Master star 2

Apr 21, 2016
    Oh yeah...like sir Alec Guinness, ewan mc gregor, Natalie portman, Ian were lousy? New movies are worse? Daisy, Adam Driver, etc? Why are you even in this forum about SW movies ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J7Luke likes this.
  9. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    On phone but to add to what xezene on the council, it would be the allowance of Anakin within the Jedi Academy. Personally, I perceive Qui-Gon's initial option to have Anakin join was a mistake on his part. The ENTIRE COUNCIL kept trying to express that there were rules for "children" not able to join at a certain age. They have become so indoctrinated with the attachments of the outer world, it would be hard for them to accommodate their ideals.

Anakin didn't have to join the Jedi. Sure it benifits him with all the knowledge and practice but it hurt him in the long run and caused a chain reaction of events to unfold. Qui-Gon should have kept a close eye on Anakin(though because of his death, Obi-Wan should have taken the task).

Just some thoughts..

10. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Luke started even older, too old for Yoda, and had less of a support network of brother and sister Jedi. But he turned out fine.

11. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    He still did the same mistake that Anakin did. Rushed into an unnecessary situation that only hurt him in the long run.

Not to mention he got pretty messed up afterwards, losing the battle and his hand..

12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    IMO, introducing Anakin as a 9/10 year old boy.

13. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I would actually argue that Luke's emotional support network of friends, family, and even just in general a non-traditional-Jedi upbringing was key to his success. It is a primary thing Luke recognized in the old EU, when he created the New Jedi Order, he allowed the Jedi to maintain healthy connections to friends, family, etc. Overall, this proved successful in most cases.

One of the best decisions IMO.

wobbits and Master Endz-One like this.
  14. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Yes. The nature of Luke's support network seemed to help him better than Anakin's did him. Even though he had scores of fellow Jedi and their experience of what he "must train himself to do". So in that respect, no Jedi order was more beneficial for Luke than a whole Jedi order in their supposed prime was for Anakin.

wobbits and xezene like this.
  15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The actors aren't as bad but that is because Lucas didn't cast them. Only he could cast actors as lousy as Hayden, Guiness, Hamill, Ford, Portman, McGregor etc etc.

llA evoba si ni eht txetnoc fo a esrever tnetni. :cool:

16. SpaceBureucrat

SpaceBureucrat Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2017
    Out of SW universe, I'd say the worst decision (at least artistically) at the moment was following New Hope's plot so closely in the 7'th movie. Maybe they wanted not to take risks with the first movie which is understandable from a pragmatic point of view but it doesn't take away the disappointment. Lesser bad decisions for me were making Rey so over-competent and introducing the third Death Star. As for Rey, one may argue Luke was over-the-top, too, but here it's taken to fundamentally higher level, seriously affecting suspension of disbelief, at least for me. I've heard something like she's another Force messiah but for me it's a weak excuse. Maybe they'll manage to write out of it in the next movies though. The third Death Star is just pure ridiculous all around. As someone have mentioned earlier in this topic, they should've gone with bioweapons or something like this. Star Wars isn't actually sci-fi, but rather space fantasy with alot of inconsistencies, but this is just over the top. Also didn't like that Imperial troops were plagued with Stormtrooper effect in Rogue One. While the movie itself was not bad (especially with portraying Rebels in a more realistic manner so you actually begin to root for the Empire) the Stormtrooper effect was even worse than in the originals. So much that I didn't care for the heroes at all. This is meant to be a war movie - no need for all the cheesy stuff.
    As for in-universe, for starters I'd name the attack on Yavin base. Out of all possible hyperspace exit points they chose one close to the planet and within it's orbital plane. Should they choose an orbit with high inclination and exited high above the orbital plane they would have been able to attack Yavin moon outright.

J7Luke likes this.
  17. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    The worst decisions by far were all made by Palpatine. He staged the Naboo crisis that cost Valorum his job, he started an unnecessary war, he tricked Anakin into turning evil, had all the Jedi murdered, and he turned a democracy into a fascist state.

These are all really bad decisions that hurt the galaxy for the worse. If he hadn't made these types of decisions, then the Republic would have remained intact, none of the Jedi would have died, and everyone would have been happy.

He's the one who really made a mess of things. Without Palpatine, there wouldn't be anything to fight about in Star Wars at all. You guys really overlooked an obvious one this time! :)

wobbits, Martoto77, MeBeJedi and 3 others like this.
  18. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    A New Hope's plot was not initiated by the bad guys hunting down the last Jedi and prevent him from starting a new order of Jedi Knights for the Republic. Mainly because they had no idea any Jedi still existed, and there was no Republic in ANH.

Not really a good start if you are trying to follow a plot so closely.

Tosche_Station and Emperor Ferus like this.
  19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Leia calling Chewie a walking carpet. Nice way to thank someone who risked their life to save you.

20. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    ezekiel22x wrote

Leia calling Chewie a walking carpet. Nice way to thank someone who risked their life to save you.

Come to think about it, Brian Daley somewhat retroactively made that line look worse in his ANH radio drama.

In the 'original' ANH 'prologue' he had Leia invite the Imperial Lord Tion to Alderaan who was inquiring about wildlife hunting opportunities. It was made abundantly clear that the people of Alderaan despise this kind of sport, but Leia creating an allusion to this (something she supposedly despises)

[​IMG]

is definitely out of her character...

[​IMG]

[face_skull]

J7Luke and ezekiel22x like this.
  21. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    Jedi Counsel getting involved in the Republic/Separatist issue.

Knowing Jango was with Dooku, then trusting a Clone Army created behind their back.

J7Luke and Tosche_Station like this.
  22. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
  23. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    The worst decision in Star Wars was going back and making the prequels instead of the sequels everyone always wanted.

The second worst decision in Star Wars was declaring Luke and Leia as siblings, which didn't make any sense and also constricted the narrative.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    "I'll try spinning! That's a good trick!"

25. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    "Sith Lords are our speciality." Really? How since you couldn't see the one right in front of you in the movie prior (not to mention he toyed with you on Geonosis) and they had been extinct for a millenium until Maul cornered you on Naboo!

"Only Sith deal in absolutes" Yoda - "Do or do not, there is no try."

J7Luke likes this.