main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Worst Moments in TV & Movie Fantasy History

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi Merkurian , Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Well, he could also have gone after Space Academy and Jason of Starcommand.

As it turns out though, the designs from that look similar because the show hired model makers who had just finished working on StarWars, and needed a new project to work on.
    Bad as the stories are (and ouch, are they painful), the models are cool and some of the costumes aren't bad.

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    "We're Cylons. We have been, all this time."

Y'all know what I'm talking about ;) Makes pretty much 0% sense to me, given some of the characters' backstories. Not only that, but I thought the scene was badly-written, with badly-delivered lines, like the one above. So unless the show pulls out admirably, I proclaim that BSG has

Jumped. The. Shark.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I disagree.That scene was face melting it is awesomeness.

5. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Oh, I think I've found one most people have forgotten (if they ever knew it existed): the Original X-men movie. It was a Fox network 8-o'clock movie that aired arround 95 or 96. Characters were closer looks to the comics, but the story was a lot worse. Needless the say, the FX were... what you'd expect from a TV movie. Only characters in it I remember were Jubilee and Emma Frost. There was some kid with stretchy powers, but that's about it.

Another piece of useless trivia: the original BSG writers were quickly told that they couldn't kill cylons anymore for budget reasons. The armor was too expensive! How's that for lame? Also, the suits were so darn hard to see out from that the actors had numerous problems. Love to see a blooper real from that show!
    Explains why so many of the episodes were so darn stupid though. That combined with the fact that the episodes were being written litterally as they were being filmed, and the actors got scripts on their way to the shooting, or sometimes after the scene was already shot.

6. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    [face_shame_on_you] That was Generation X not X-men. :p It was based on the spinoff comic book series of the same name, meant to be a second New Mutants type series. And yes it was pretty unimpressive. The made for TV movie featured Emma Frost and her teaching counterpart Sean Cassidy (Banshee) leading a band of misfit teenaged mutants including a non-asian Jubilee, Monet St. Croix (M), Angelo Espinosa (Skin), Mondo and Buff & Refrax, two characters created for the movie taking over for Husk and Chamber. It was apparently intended to be a pilot for an ongoing series but for obvious reasons never got past the poorly created movie. For the record this is about on par with the Roger Corman Fantastic Four and the 1991 Captain America feature starring Matt Salinger.

Thank God Generation X would all be forgotten a few years later when X-Men was released as an actual Feature Film.

7. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Sorry, but I'm pretty sure it was always intended for the final five to be sleepers within the fleet that are a different kind of Cylon than the other human model Cylons. This is all ultimately pointing BSG toward it's conclusion. Jumping the shark, as I understand it, implies the writers are running out of ideas to keep the show fresh and only succeed in writing the show into a corner it can never recover from. It's not simply when a show takes a turn people don't like. BSG's Cylon revelation was not designed to keep the show fresh so it can go on indefinitely. It was intended to set up the end game. That's sort of the opposite from a "jump the shark" moment.

I'm sorry you don't like the direction the plot is going, however, because TV science fiction is never going to be this good again, I think.

8. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    " LilyHobbitJedi posted:Hey here's another thing that nobody mentioned (surprisingly), the Star Wars Holiday Special. I kept hearing how horrible it was and kept thinking people were exaggerating. That is until I saw it online....that special almost makes me embarassed to be a SW fan. Even George Lucas hates it.

Found it youtube. Made it to the 2 minute mark before shutting it off. It's. Awful."

No... You have to at least stick around for "Starship's" performance. There's nothing more retarded than watching that wannabe Imp Officer tapping his fingers on whatever that thing was he was watching.

Absolutely the worst thing ever. It's like a car accident or a donkey show; you're mortified, yet you can't look away.

My votes:

D&D
    Beastmaster II: Electric Boogaloo
    TMNT III
    Mac & Me (ET Ripoff & blatantly so)

D_M_S_L

9. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I can't really defend either, but still ouch. :p

And if you thought TMNT III was bad you should have heard the plans about the fourth story they were putting together before III tanked. :p I kid you not it was something about the Turtles mutating further and developing various superpowers. [face_laugh]

10. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I would have to also list the appearent retirement of Bob Anderson from sword-fighting choreography. There hasn't been a single decent swordfight on screen in western cinema since then. I think the last thing he worked on was as a consultant for LotR movies. The last thing he really choreographed was the PotC:CotBP.
    Almost everything else I've seen has been stunt shots or filmed so that you cannot actually see what is going on. Even "Stardust", which I've seen a number of people giving great reviews for as a fantasy adventure, will not be getting marks for sword fighting because you cannot SEE it.
    Faking the drama of a swordfight is one of the great annoyances of cinema for me. Granted, the original SW had to cut short because Dave Prowse was a hulking block of wood with dexterity of a couch, Bob Anderson had to work around that, and the sword fights were short. Still, what was on screen was at least decent. (Also taking an actor trained in classic fencing and trying to make him work kendo style didn't help.) Most movies cheat sword fights by undercranking to speed up the action or trick shots so that the actual swordwork is off-screen. They also cheat by having the camera so close that you cannot see what is going on, or so far back that you cannot see what is going on (SW:TPM is a prime example of that, except for about 12 seconds of DotF). Another stunt is focusing the camera on one actor's upper torso so that the sword isn't even on screen (StarDust did this a lot).
    Without Bob Anderson, it looks like the only thing we will ever see approaching good swordwork on screen will be training montages.

Thus, sadly, Bob Anderson's retirement represents a tragic loss to western cinema and fantasy movies.

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I don't know that I would agree with that. What about Jack Sparrow vs Davey Jones at the end of At World's End?

12. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Compare that with the fight in the first movie between sparrow and Will Turner in the weapon forge, or the cave fight. AWE had slightly better fights than the second film (can't even remember the title right now), but was still way, way shy of the kind of work that went into CotBP or Mask of Zorro.

13. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    We forgot disney's entries:

Unidentified Flying Oddball
    Return from Witch Mountain
    Cat from Outer Space (OK, I kinda like this one)

darn it: I remembered another one last night, but can't remember what it was now that I'm posting. Grrr. :oops:

14. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I thoroughly enjoyed the Cat from Outerspace by Disney when I was younger. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

15. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    There needs to be a thread about the music that ruined flicks... So I can bi*** about Legend. Great flick. Worst score ever. Even on the super duper deluxe DVD edition.

Koohii, was it Flight of the Navigator you were thinking of..?

D_M_S_L

16. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I [face_love] Flight of the Navigator. :p I was giddy when it came to DVD.

17. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Not flight of the navigator. That one is corny but fun. :D

1979-80 movie about a family of human aliens that gets stranded on earth with their green pet monkey. Can't remember the name. Father from "8 is enough" was in it. [face_not_talking] :rolleyes:

18. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Do you mean the American/Tangerine Dream soundtrack or the European/Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack? Because both of them are so fused into my brain that I have a hard time imagining some other, supposedly "better" score. TD's "The Dance" in particular is a beautiful composition.

19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I was a little leery of the "Lost 5" thing from the get-go anyway, because this is exactly where I saw it going [face_plain]

EDIT: And what Vortigern says about the Legend soundtrack :)

20. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Has anyone had the misfortune of seeing the "Gor" movie? How they got from the first book of that series to the movie is almost as big a mystery as how Paul Verhoven was able to turn a short story about identity and self, and turn it into an action/adventure blockbuster.

21. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    I've read a couple of the Gor novels, but I had no idea there was a film of it. And what does it have to do with Verhoeven?

22. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Nothing.
    My comment was on how "We can Remember You Wholesale" (title is something like that) by Philip K. Dick could be turned into "Total Recall".

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Every last frame of Eragon. How could such a good book be turned into such a terrible movie?

24. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    That's like asking how, with all the RPGamers out there to help with scripting and ideas, Dungeons&Dragons turned out to be such a horrible movie.
    Your average transcribed gaming session would have produced something better.

25. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    Indeed. Ever saw The Gamers?

Kam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.