main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Worth Saving (Kyp, Zekk, Alema, Jaina)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Zonoma, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    :D This post just made my day. I'm so happy to see this story updated! :D [face_dancing]

By the time I got our course changed and into the sonic, I felt the nearly overwhelming presence in my mind find something close to a center and grow still, though far from peaceful. It was an odd sensation that brought to mind a picture of a hand on still water that applied just enough pressure to bow the surface inward but never actually broke the tension to get wet. That was how Jaina felt to me at the moment.

Lovely description here. :)

?Drink your caf first, you?ll need to be awake for this.?
    I looked at my mug skeptically. ?Thanks, but I?m awake enough.? If you?d ever drank the Toydarian Tar that Jaina brewed for her pilots, you would pass too. At least you wouldn?t try to down it on an empty stomach. It?s brutal.
    Jaina sat with an indifferent shrug and looked at her mug.
    ?What I told you about being my slave was mean. I was angry and playing on your fears-?
    She looked up and met my eyes with a miserable look.

Again, the interaction between the characters was excellent. Both were very much in character, as usual, and I love the little details, like "He whirled as if he wore that damn cape still and I found it hilarious". :)

Excellent update. :D

2. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Welcome back chiquita! And welcome back this story. [face_dancing]

?This.?

My hair was suddenly wet and cold on my shoulders, in fact my flight suit was soaked along the nape of my neck and I suddenly wondered why it wasn?t tied back. I winced for a moment at the turmoil in my abdomen and the aftertaste the caf left in my mouth which was odd because I hadn?t touched my -

I blinked in realization and then looked at Jaina?s nearly empty mug and wet hair.

She poured her caf over her head to show him that everything that will happen to her will happen to him now that they've bonded? :eek:

Oh Kyp. What have you gotten yourself into? [face_worried]

Again, welcome home Z. :)

3. JediBettyBug18

JediBettyBug18 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2005
    Wow. Jaina's teaching Kyp. . . I thought she was his apprentice. :p

love,
    marybeth

4. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Holy crap, my jaw dropped when I saw this had been updated. I'm so proud of you. Not only are you writing again, but you're psoting it, too.

That's quite the powerful bond the two of them have, and some quite interesting effects there at the end. I look forward to where you'll take this.

5. Emerald_Lady

Emerald_Lady Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2006
    *squees* An update! And an awesome one at that! :D

?I am going to check on our course and sonic off. When I return, you will be prepared to tell me what I could have done differently.?

I love the way you write Kyp and Jaina's relationship. They're wonderful here. [face_love]

He whirled as if he wore that damn cape still and I found it hilarious.

So did I. ;)

?I thought you were leaving, Kyp. Change your mind so soon?? I sniffed the air. ?Really, that sonic smells like a great idea.?

[face_laugh] That's our girl. [face_laugh]

I felt the nearly overwhelming presence in my mind find something close to a center and grow still, though far from peaceful. It was an odd sensation that brought to mind a picture of a hand on still water that applied just enough pressure to bow the surface inward but never actually broke the tension to get wet. That was how Jaina felt to me at the moment.

Holy cow, this is an amazing description. :eek: =D=

My hair was suddenly wet and cold on my shoulders, in fact my flight suit was soaked along the nape of my neck and I suddenly wondered why it wasn?t tied back. I winced for a moment at the turmoil in my abdomen and the aftertaste the caf left in my mouth which was odd because I hadn?t touched my -

I like how you address what being mind-bonded to someone would actually mean. The books never got into it much other than that it meant a strong telepathy, but this goes even deeper.

?You mean? Um, I mean that? oh.? Being in Jaina?s mind while she was with Jag was all too recent and tactile for that to be a remotely comfortable thought. ?Teach me.?

[face_laugh] Awkward...;)

I was so glad to see this story back. :D

6. Lusa_Thul

Lusa_Thul Jedi Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    Dude, I just cannot get over how hard you are rocking Kyp! I love reading him when you write him, and this last update was fantastic! Awesome!

7. iamobiwan1970

iamobiwan1970 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2005
    Holy mother of a Sith! you updated and it was way cool!

Poor Kyp will now learn what it is like to be under the "hive mind" control. I love how he reflects on how Jaina is Vader's granddaughter!

I feel badly for the guy since he was a child slave at Kessel, this has to bring up bad memories!

BTW, this story first opened my eyes to the reality that Kyp was likely raped or abused at Kessel. I read this as one of the first fanfictions ever. Your angst is well written!!!=D=

8. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    [face_dancing][face_dancing]

**boogies happily**

Update!! Yay!!

**Wookiee-hugs Zonoma**

Thank you-thank you-thank you! :D

Now--to the comments:

He turned and strode from the room and I couldn?t help it, I snickered. He had whirled away as if he wore that damn cape still and I found it hilarious.

I loved this--too true of both of them! His bravado, her finding it ridiculous. Wonderful IC, for me!

He doesn?t know whether to be scared of me or for me. For that matter, neither do I.

What a great to-the-point insight about what's happened to them both here--utter confusion. Small wonder.

By the time I got our course changed and into the sonic, I felt the nearly overwhelming presence in my mind find something close to a center and grow still, though far from peaceful. It was an odd sensation that brought to mind a picture of a hand on still water that applied just enough pressure to bow the surface inward but never actually broke the tension to get wet. That was how Jaina felt to me at the moment.

Again, as you have a gift for, such a beautiful metaphoric description of what the Force--and this new Force-bond with Jaina--feels like to him. Just beautiful!

I shivered, and not from the cold air wrapping around my shoulders. Ganner told me a long time ago to never forget that Jaina was Darth Vader?s granddaughter. I found myself wondering what sent Anakin Skywalker off the deep end.

Wow...this is just wonderful, and a stark reminder to Kyp of what he's "signed himself up for" now...

If you?d ever drank the Toydarian Tar that Jaina brewed for her pilots, you would pass too. At least you wouldn?t try to down it on an empty stomach. It?s brutal.

LOL!! No "Honey, that's great coffee!" for Kyp, I see! Sounds like typical workplace sludge, actually... ;)

?Control what? You are a tension on my mind. It?s not all that life threatening, Jaina.?

?This.?

I blinked in realization and then looked at Jaina?s nearly empty mug and wet hair.

?Damn.?

Wow--this was the wake-up call if there hadn't been one before: right down to all her physical sensations...an intimdating concept if there ever was one....

Their interactions are wonderful, Z--and certainly fall into the best type of IC, for both of them. Now I'm actually beginning to think that they might find a way not to drive each other to madness with this bond, wanted or not. I loved the ending, where Kyp suddenly realizes just how "in over his head" he is with Jaina, and becomes willing to learn what she can teach him. A wonderful chapter, and I know all the rest of your readers are doing cartwheels like me for this update! Thanks, so very much! **hugs**

FF

9. master_jade

master_jade Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2006
    yay! You've updated this![face_dancing]. You have an intresting point of view as far as bonding is concerned. I've actually never thought of it on a physical level...Hmmm[face_thinking] .This has a potential for the future, I think.:

Apart from this: Master and Apprentice...Indeed:D. Just reversing their usual roles. Not so funny for Kyp, I guess...

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Nice to see this back. :) Is it a good thing or a bad thing I want to space Jaina out an airlock? *Shrugs* So Kyp is joined to her, now? That's gotta suck for him... :p

11. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Z: it's back!! :D

... and it's brilliant!! [face_dancing]

I really like the way you did that. You got to the heart of the Kyp/Jaina dynamic - the unreasonable, unintended entanglement... they're not quite sure whether they're wrestling or whether they're trying to tear each other's clothes off, but dammit, it's contact, clear and pure...

Great work!! :D

- The Imperial Ewok

12. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    It's good to see this Z.

It sounds like those crazy kids are still getting themselves into trouble. ;)

13. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Whoa, Zee's back. *grins widely*

Hmm. Sounds like the coffee my mom uses to wake up in the mornings?

Hehehehe. Poor Kyp. As was said before, how awkward?

KT

14. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Z!!![:D] It's so good to have you back and writing! And what a way to come back.

I absolutally loved the interaction between Kyp and Jaina. I think you wrote the characterization perfectly. Kyp and Jaina are some of my favorite charactors and it's so wonderful to read good stories about them.

So many good quotes:

My laughter froze him in place with his back to me.
    Rodder. So much for getting rid of him

[face_laugh] Been there, done that.

a mug of campaigner?s caf -- this stuff could teach the Dark Side of the Force a thing or two about blackness
    [face_laugh] That has to be the best quote ever! It's my favorite though...

If you?d ever drank the Toydarian Tar that Jaina brewed for her pilots, you would pass too. At least you wouldn?t try to down it on an empty stomach. It?s brutal.
    ...That ones a close second. I know a friend who might've taken coffee/caf making lessons from Jaina.

?You mean? Um, I mean that? oh.? Being in Jaina?s mind while she was with Jag was all too recent and tactile for that to be a remotely comfortable thought. ?Teach me.?
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I hope we get some more soon because things are just geting interesting.

Keep it up!!!

15. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    To all you lovely, wonderful readers:

Thank you so much for sticking with me. I am overwhelmed and very, very happy to see each of you.

I will not be using the old PM list for fear that a lot of readers from last year are no longer interested. If you would like to be on a PM list, please let me know one way or the other. Thanks. :)

jedi_of_ennth: I?m sooo glad you returned to keep reading! Thank you! I?m happy to help make your night a little better. I wanted that description to be tangible and I?m glad I apparently did it right. :D

Lola: She poured her caf over her head to show him that everything that will happen to her will happen to him now that they've bonded? :eek:

:p I guess I should have mentioned that her hair was wet and she was drinking her caf. Live and learn I guess. And poor Kyp has no frelling clue what he got himself into. He is a fast learner, though.

JediBettyBug18: Yeah, in this she has a LOT more experience (unless you count Kyp?s possession by a Sith lord [face_thinking]) so it makes sense. And whether Kyp?s offer was sincere or Jaina will go along with it remains to be seen at this point.

BigFatty: Thanks! I think MY jaw dropped when I broke down and posted it, too. This post just wouldn?t do what I thought it should. *shakes fist at story*

Emerald_Lady: The Kyp and Jaina relationship has always been a favorite of mine. It has such a flavorful dynamic? and it doesn?t even have to be romantic to be incredibly fun. I just like snark, I guess. As for the physical aspects of their bond, I?m taking the approach that most other very closely bonded Jedi (Luke/Mara) grow into their bonds physically after long mental and emotional attachment. Thanks to Dark Journey and beyond, though, Kyp and Jaina have had all that for a very long time and this was rather sudden and somewhat forced. (no pun intended)

Lusa_Thul: DUDE! Thank you! [face_laugh]

iamobiwan1970: Thank you for the wonderful compliments! I guess I came up with that while fabricating a series of ?formative? memories for them to exchange during the bonding process (a decidedly ?Kyp? style bond, at that). I wanted to find things that they would never say aloud and do about anything to keep hidden. Naturally, some things that happen in prison he would want hidden so I tried to go for the worst case scenario and then toned it down. It made sense to me, though. Especially when you watch his erratic behavior in pro-fic.

FalconFan: [face_laugh] I heart you, Deb! And after that review, I am rather speechless. Thanks [face_blush]

master_jade: I guess that has always been a part that I?ve been curious about (the physical aspects of bonding) and we know from the Rar sisters that it isn?t always an integral part of a Jedi bond. I knew that I definitely wanted to play with it in this story arc. As for the Master/Apprentice relationship, I know that was said in frustration but I don?t know whether it will happen in truth. Jaina is a bit touchy right now. *scowls at Jaina*

Stryker: Thanks, it is good to be back. And, you can try to shove her out the airlock, but watch out for her lightsaber! [FACE_WINK]

McEwok: Thank you! I do like the completely unreasonably in their dynamic, it?s fun to play with!

Master: Oh man! I didn?t realize you were still hanging out here. Between your schedule and mine I haven?t seen you in ages! Thanks for stopping by, Neo.

KT: Yay! I am back?. Just not as much as in the past. Too much on my plate right now. This is, by the way, a good thing. I?m glad you liked the update.

princess_melissa: I is good to be back, thank you. It was nerve-wracking at first wondering if anyone would still read though ? so thank you! And I figured Jaina for one who cared more about the stimulants in caf than the taste so I?m glad I could get a giggle out of you!

16. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    This post just wouldn?t do what I thought it should.

What post doesn't? If I had a nickel for every post that did exactly what it was supposed to do, I might have a quarter.

I really need to go back and read this so far. Maybe by the time I've done that there will be a new post. ;)

17. TelannaTani

TelannaTani Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2005
    So a little birdy told me that you'd updated... and I'm so glad they did!

*does a happy dance*

The intensity with which you write this bond fascinates me more all the time. So often we envision a Force bond as some intermingling of the minds, but completely controlled as the participants regulate the flow of information. At best, I have though of it as some sort of extra-senstive telepathy. But the chaotic depths that you are describing here are so much more than that. It will hopefully one day calm to that controlled state, but not until both parties learn to weild that control. Fantastically written.

It was an odd sensation that brought to mind a picture of a hand on still water that applied just enough pressure to bow the surface inward but never actually broke the tension to get wet. That was how Jaina felt to me at the moment.

Powerful, powerful word-picture! This phrase imparted exactly the state you wanted it to. It brought to my mind those little pond skippers that walk on the water's surface. A beautiful, but unstable scenario.

I'm so glad to have this story back, Z!! [:D]

Tela

18. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    Okay, I managed to get caught up. Aren't I great? No, really.

This seems to be some pretty bold new territory for fanfic. It's good stuff, mind you. It's nice to see Jedi as fragile beings because usually they're portrayed as so strong and so perfect. And the things you were doing with the memories were awesome. There's such a ...disjointed? is that the word I want?... tone to this story and it fits the characters' states of mind perfectly.

Kyp and Jaina are really in it now, aren't they?

19. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    BigFatty: I know! Right?

Telanna: I have always envisioned the best Force bonds as something deep and very controlled, too (unless someone loses themselves or dies, of course). In this story I?m trying to toy with the idea of a bond that was incredibly strong before control is learned. Peace is always earned and the others we know of with this bond have earned the peace we see through long knowledge of each other and then ?eventually- love. Kyp and Jaina are not in love but the depth of their bond is incredible because of all the times they?ve had to rely on one another completely in battle. I dunno everything yet, like I said before: I?m exploring this chaos, too.

Vongchild: Hey! Good to have you back! You know? Not many folks have commented on the disjointed feel of this story but you hit the nail on the head and yes, it is on purpose. I want it to feel disjointed and chaotic right now because they do. It should smooth out gradually as the characters themselves find their peace.

Thanks for reading, ladies!

Z

20. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    So great to see you posting again, Z! Sorry it took me so long to reply but?well..you know how it is. :p

Like fine wine that should never be uncorked too early for fear of ruining the bouquet, this latest update needed just the right amount of time to percolate in your mind before you brought us such a superb piece! :)

He doesn?t know whether to be scared of me or for me. For that matter, neither do I.

While there are many moment in this chapter that struck me, this one reached out the furthest. What a powerful observation?not just of her situation with Kyp but of her situation with herself. Indeed, with their lives so closely intermingled now, the distinction between being scared of her or for her might long be gone.

Very powerful scene! Happy to see you back! =D=

21. TelannaTani

TelannaTani Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Edited by user.

22. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    Souderwan:
    I am always surprised and pleased when you return. Indeed those lines will likely blur for a long time to come. Perhaps, though, they aren't quite gone forever. We'll just have to see as time goes by....

Telanna: Edited by user. = Loved by author. [:D]

23. star_writer24

star_writer24 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2006
    Any hopes of seeing an update soon? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.