main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Would a clone wars movie make the PT even better ?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by antitoxicgamer, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Specifically in answer to that particular question the answer would be no because it would add nothing to the actual prequel trilogy which is complete in and of itself. It's already great as it is. Everything that is actually important is in the trilogy.

Now would it be great to have a live-action Clone Wars movie that is a side adventure? Sure. As it happens we are going to be getting the closest thing to that in live action with Obi-Wan Kenobi series which might have some tie-in flashbacks to the Clone Wars.

2. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Yeah - I suppose the bolded statement is accurate. Doesnt mean I wouldnt like more about Sifo-Dyas, Clone war footage and some other things. Yes, Ahsoka being an integral part of the movies would have been great for us fans but how could you really fit her in there without taking too much away from other characters? Hard to do.

I hope the Obi-Wans series does include footage of TCW for us. I would think it almost has to - Anakin is in it!

3. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I really don't see how a clone wars movie would make the Prequel Trilogy better. As I have stated before on this board, the Clone Wars was nothing more than a tool that Palpatine had used to gain power throughout the Galaxy and get rid of the Jedi. That's all. A tool. The more I watch "The Clone Wars", the more I come to the conclusion that it was not really needed to expand the Prequel Trilogy's main narrative. I regard Palpatine's maneuvers into starting the war and how it ended very important to the trilogy. But the actual details of how the Clone wars played out? No, not really. If one looked at the Original Trilogy, the Rebellion against the Empire did not really play a major role in that trilogy's overall arc, aside from important battles like Yavin, which brought Luke to the forefront; Hoth, which signified Vader's interest in him; and Endor, which led to Palpatine's downfall. Otherwise, I never required a detailed account of the rebellion and apparently, neither did Lucas.

It seems as if the fans wanted the Prequel Trilogy to solely revolve around the Clone Wars or any other military conflict. Sometimes, it seems that the franchise fans can only relate to these stories if they were generally about a war.

Why on earth would the Jedi Council allow Anakin to have an apprentice, considering the combination of his age and the Council's wariness toward him? Hell, Obi-Wan had no business having an apprentice so soon after becoming a Knight. This is why I've always had a problem with Ahsoka's role in the saga.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  4. silentfault

silentfault Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 5, 2021
    It's really not that hard to understand. First, it was not the Jedi Council, but personally Yoda, perhaps in cooperation with Obi-Wan, who assigned Ahsoka to Anakin. If you recall Attack of the Clones, Yoda sensed what happened to Anakin on Tatooine, and that he was in terrible pain. Giving Anakin a Padawan was a direct attempt to help him, they literally spell it out for you in The Clone Wars movie: "Ready he is to teach an apprentice. To let go of his pupil, a greater challenge it will be. Master this Skywalker must."
    Exactly because they were wary of him, Yoda did this. It makes him proactive, as opposed to being absolutely blind to what was happening under his nose.
    Also, you can always look up the author's intentions, because Lucas and Filoni explained it many times.

No, actually Obi-Wan took Anakin as his Padawan right at the end of The Phantom Menace.

Count Yubnub and whostheBossk like this.
  5. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    It does seem to get overlooked that ANH and AOTC are the actual hot starts of those specific wars and ROTJ and ROTS are the end of them. The actual Empire striking back in TESB is the Battle of Hoth then it becomes about Vader going after Luke which is Sith business.

The Rebellion against the Empire did play a major role in the OT's overall arc just as the Clone Wars plays a major role in the PT's overall arc but overall is the key word. They both drive major events but it has to do with the starts and finishes not the actual in-between.

That's actually covered in TCW. They didn't allow him to have an apprentice. They specifically gave him an apprentice against his wishes.

Once Obi-Wan became a Jedi Knight then he could take an apprentice. You either are a Jedi Knight or not. The probation is over.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  6. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    The OT is a story of a cast of characters that is told during a galactic Civil War. The war starts before the trilogy starts and the war ends before the trilogy ends. We just see the major beats as told by our characters.

The PT is a story that covers more than one war. We see the Republic (pre-war) we see the start and end of a war, and then we see the Republic morph into an Empire.

So whereas the OT is more linked with one single conflict, the PT covers a lot more ground. And so, for fans who just wanted the PT to take place during one single conflict, just like the OT, more TCW was sought after. And Lucas listened with TCW series.

7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Just what I was thinking! They essentially did release a Clone Wars movie between AOTC and ROTS - and it tells you everything you might "need" to know.

The trilogy is what it is with or without an extra movie, though.
    If you consider the extra movie a part of the trilogy, then it's no longer a trilogy. Which makes the trilogy really bad. At being a trilogy :p

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  8. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    the whole series, the micro series and the clone wars animated film make up for an extra live Action film. AOTC is in a cartoon style in places anyway

Lulu Mars likes this.
  9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Yeah, I think the animated shows and the clone war sections of AOTC and ROTS match up really well in terms of atmosphere.

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  10. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    (Replying to the original title): No, I don't think the PT needed an episode 2.5 covering the Clone Wars and never did.

While the 2008 series acted in part as a PT extension, it also introduced brand new fan favorite characters with their own stories and journeys for me to invest in. It's the latter aspect of TCW that I'm a fan of. I don't treat it as "Episode 2.5". I treat it as the launching pad for the TCW/Rebels/Mandalorian/[Bad Batch/Book of Boba/Ahsoka/Rangers] franchise-within-a-franchise.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  11. What if instead of TCW animated show got a full live action show of Clone Wars with original cast from the movies?

RogueDianoga and Deliveranze like this.
  12. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Honestly, id still be down for that now. Clone Wars flashbacks in the Kenobi series could be a "proto-test" for a future CW mini series or something. Like Band of Brothers but with Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Jedi Knight Fett and wobbits like this.
  13. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Count me in for more live action Anakin/Obi shenanigans..

Count Yubnub and Deliveranze like this.
  14. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    Seriously? Yoda? :eek: The one member of the Jedi Order who has never expressed faith in Anakin's role as Chosen One? Perhaps he did in "The Clone Wars" and I have yet to see that episode; but he never did in the PT movies. Why would Yoda, of all the Jedi Masters, allow Anakin, who had just become a Knight, to train a padawan? The one acolyte that Yoda had been leery of in the films. Was he setting Anakin up to fail? That is the only excuse I can think of.

Look, I like "The Clone Wars", but I think it is overrated - especially this idea that it was needed to expand the PT. And that is because I have never considered that series essential to the PT movies. If you're going to demand adding a movie solely about the wars as part of the Prequel Trilogy; then you might as well demand a movie solely about the rebellion to the OT movies. Otherwise, I find this demand a waste of time.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Dandelo, wobbits and Count Yubnub like this.
  15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Anakin didn't get it either!

16. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    Okay, then Anakin shares my feelings about him becoming a Jedi mentor. So why did the Council believe he was ready to have an apprentice? I recently saw an episode in which Obi-Wan saw Qui-Gon's ghost. Um . . . this goes against my memory of Obi-Wan learning for the first time from Yoda that Qui-Gon was able to become a Force spirit near the end of "Revenge of the Sith".

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  17. silentfault

Mar 5, 2021
    Dumb dumb Clone Wars writers and dumb dumb George Lucas who did not watch his own movies! :eek: /S

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  18. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    Finally. Now I wonder if any fans can admit to any writing bloopers in the OT. Meanwhile . . . I'm not saying that "The Clone Wars" should not have been made. But the idea that it made the narrative for the PT clearer makes no sense to me. For me, the series seems more like a prequel to "The Mandalorian" and probably other Disney Plus shows, along with Star Wars video games and novels than a "bridge" between AOTC and ROTS. A bridge, I believe, was never needed in the first place.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  19. silentfault

Mar 5, 2021
    No, you should just pay better attention. Both your questions about giving Anakin a Padawan and Qui-Gon's ghost are answered clearly in the show.
    Nothing is really "needed" outside of the OT. Many would even argue the prequels were not needed and should not have been made. But they were made. They enriched the overall story and gave a better context, that wasn't there originally. Same for The Clone Wars and every other supplementary material.

20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    There are those who believe that is the case so if it works for them in that way then it's fine. I doubt that was Lucas' idea behind it. He just wanted to tell some cool stories and get some merchandise going in. I don't know the series that well but in terms of arcs that are that specific to the story of the PT there are the episodes like "The Lost One" which adds a couple of points to the AOTC mystery then the Yoda episodes that go into his contact with Qui-Gon. The "Mortis" Arc is interesting Chosen One material and Boba Fett has a revenge attempt on Mace Windu. Another arc "Crystal Crisis" (which only exists in show reel form not completed animation) takes place on Utapau and ties into with the Death Star gun construction which needs Kyber crystals.

Only in as much as Filoni was part of the series and now is with various Disney+ series. It wasn't needed but is a pleasant addition.

The prequels were needed to tell the entire story as the OT was the second half of the story. As one half of the story they were sufficient to tell Luke's story.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  21. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    No, the prequels didn’t need a Clone Wars film. The Clone Wars are the backdrop to Eps II and III — not the central story. Plus, we saw about as many Clone Wars battles as we did Civil War battles.

I’m not sure what it could’ve added in terms of character or plot points either. The story is complete as is.

22. RogueDianoga

RogueDianoga Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 11, 2022
    I do think it would have helped. There was kind of too much material to fit into three films. I think giving an entire film for the more grown up characters to all go on OT like adnvetures together would've helped assuage some of those missing some of that OT gang going on adventures together feeling.

In TPM we just got the intro and some characters were young and being led around. In AOTC they were just coming together. Then TCW film could've had them all together doing various adventures like in the second half of SW. In ROTS it was already all breaking down and they were often apart from one another.

whostheBossk and jaimestarr like this.
  23. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    An extra movie just about the Clone Wars? It wouldn't really fit in, as it's supposed to be a trilogy. If they had managed to somehow make it work, I'd only like it if it were live-action, not animated. I'm not a fan of the switching of formats, first real movies, then a cartoon TV series, then another real movie, to tell a story. That's why I was never interested in TCW at all.
    Now if Lucas could have integrated more of the war at the beginning of ROTS I wouldn't have minded, even if it would have made it 20 minutes longer.

24. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    I largely agree with this. The actually Wars in any Star Wars film are largely backdrop to a more personal drama.

However.....the thing that was great about The Clone Wars show was that we got really great character moments with our main characters that we didn't get in the Prequel films. For example, Ahsoka was a great foil to round out Anakin as a character (and a great character herself). Naturally this is because a TV show has a lot more room to work with. A Clone Wars movie itself wouldn't have made a difference in this regard.

This also why I am so grateful for the Obi-Wan show. It fleshed out the relationship between Anakin (Vader) and Obi-Wan even more than the films could by themselves.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  25. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I still say that each of George’s episodes aligned with the most pivotal points of his protagonists’ lives- be it Anakin’s or Luke’s.
    A movie set for example between AOTC and ROTS would only enhance the trilogy (would be a tetralogy now?) if its main plot and subplots took place during a crucial step in Anakin’s journey. It’s hard for me to imagine what during TCW is as pivotal as either his falling for Padme, death of his mother, and defiance of the Jedi Code- and his turn to the dark side, that would warrant a saga movie as opposed to a TV episode or EU story. He and others have epic adventures during TCW, but the saga movies capture the most character-defining moments.

A live action TCW spinoff would be another matter- it wouldn’t change the way I view the existing PT, but it could make for compelling material on its own. There, supporting characters that only pertain to Anakin’s story in a limited capacity could have more limelight.