main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Would the failure of the Solo movie be a good thing?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by PaperSkin, May 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Which I suppose translates into: "I hope the Han Solo film fails miserably so that there's perhaps a greater likelihood of seeing a film about Dooku."

I guess we should all respect each others' opinions here, but this is one that I have extreme difficulty understanding...

One Quarter Portion likes this.
  2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Just because I am not interested in the Han Solo film doesn't mean I want it to fail. If this introduces a new generation to Han and Chewy and the new fans revisit the OT, great. I do hope Disney will take more risks like Rogue One, we know the briefest detail about the scenario, but know next to nothing about most of the rebels and imperials involved.

3. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I actually don't want to see a star wars film crash and burn, even the Han Solo Origin. I just don't want its success to motivate Disney to keep to the dark times and OT eras as the only time period to explore in the spin offs.

KamenSentaiMetalHero likes this.
  4. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Seems a tad greedy, though, after nearly two decades of PT-focused Star Wars content.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Never said it should happen soon :)

Still some day....the Jedi of old should return to the big screen, whether that be in a pre-TPM spin off or an Old Republic era Trilogy.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  6. Skydoll

Skydoll Jedi Master star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    I don't think I want to see any Star Wars film fail. Until I see it, and at the moment it's still quite a ways off, I'm ambivalent about the Han Solo movie. I know I've been won over by the recasting of characters I love before, so it could happen again and I'm well aware that this is just my worms-eye POV anyway. What will count is Joe Public's response, not my personal one. Yes, I'd like to see more offbeat projects that expand and explore the vastness of the SW universe, not focus on characters whose arcs are already done. But yeah, you do have to give these things time. Disney and Lucasfilm's plans are at a very early stage right now. They know the world is hungry for more Star Wars and so they're coaxing and cajoling their golden goose to keep laying those golden eggs in the gentlest, safest manner possible.

Every SW film and entity in existence is *designed* to succeed, more so now than ever before. To a certain extent, when GL was in charge, chances were still taken (although his non-desire to explore in live-action or even animation the dramatic territory after ROTJ always baffled me). I think a situation like that could come around again - I'd lay money on the Story Group chomping at the bit to expand in all sorts of sideways directions. But it all depends on the initial world-stomping success of not only the numbered episodes, but these first couple of spin-offs. Then they can feed the golden goose something weirder so we get some very new and different kinds of Star Wars.

7. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I don't want any SW film to fail. I love the franchise in all mediums, and I dont want to wish it any ill will just because of a character not being played by Harrison Ford. Give it a chance. This film won't determine what future anthology films will be made, since that's already locked down, as Pablo confirmed George left a ton of film ideas, most going into development (this being one of them).

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I personally am quite excited for the Han film. I think it could be great-the cameo potential alone makes me excited. I do agree that I wouldn't want them to simply make spinoff after spinoff all taking place between III and IV, or during the OT period. After Han, I would really hope they start exploring other eras. There's such a vast opportunity for so many great stories.

Seeing as how there's one coming out only once every two years pretty much-and the next three years are already spoken for, that already means it'll be like almost five years out or so before we get a chance at something different like that...But I'm willing to wait and see.

9. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    The only thing I want from this movie is for Han to prove the line from RoTJ:

"Me and chewie have broken into places more heavily guarded than this"

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Dewback likes this.
  11. Jedi Rey X

Jedi Rey X Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2016
    We have to see were it takes us!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.