main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Would you be fine with George Lucas "regaining" Star Wars and the rights to the franchise again?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by InterestingLurker, Dec 20, 2019.

Tags:
?

Do you want George Lucas to get back the franchise?

1. Yes

51 vote(s)
    73.9%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    As I was saying.... [face_whistling]

2. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    Do any of you remember that GL once said or mentioned the idea for 13 movies? I still have the Starlog and other literature from back then. He would leave the movies end at RoJ. he did approve EU and fan made movies, let 501st have a lot of charitable, approved freedom(a lot more than now!) was not as restrictive as Disney is now. I am happy with all(except the remake of the OT) the movies.G.L. made. that is.

3. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    More so every day.

wobbits, Darkslayer, Hernalt and 2 others like this.
  4. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Yep. The PT is the apex of SW's creativity. I would love to be enthralled again in Lucas's penchant for worldbuilding, storytelling, and drama.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I wouldn't care.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  6. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    nvm

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  7. CaptainSuchandSuch

CaptainSuchandSuch Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2015
    I remember reading interviews where Lucas, ironically, said he didn't really see filmmaking as a big passion of his, he was more interested in his family. I think this was back during the PT?

Even though I wish he'd been involved with the ST or would come back to have more involvement in future projects, I can empathize with why he retired from the franchise.

I'd probably feel the same way. Sometimes I get really invested in wanting to tell a story I have a vision for. But if people disregard it and don't enjoy it, it's like, what's the point? I could be doing better things with my time. (I'm saying this as someone who put a lot of time into writing stories online that were mostly ignored.)

Triad Moons likes this.
  8. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I’d be intrigued if it actually happened and possibly worried about the mental health of a few individuals. If it happened before the release of Ep 9, I would not like it, but now that the Skywalker saga is finished, I’m not invested anymore in the quality of the movies, so I would be intrigued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. May The Force Be With Stu

May The Force Be With Stu Jedi Padawan star 1

May 9, 2019
    Back in the day when Lucas made ROTS he said it was over and he told the story he wanted to tell. He only initially got the sequel trilogy going because he wanted to give his employees something to work on. When he considered his age and other factors it was then that he sold SW to Disney.
    So as far as I'm concerned we've got GL's SW.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well, absolutely. If you own a company, the last thing you want is for your employees to be sitting there all day long with absolutely nothing to do. [face_thinking]

11. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Except that's not true and that video you posted is horribly misleading.

Marcia Lucas only edited about a third of the movie, she left before the final cut was completed, and she herself argued in favor of keeping those Luke-on-Tatooine scenes which that video implies to be evidence of Lucas's shortcomings. Lucas himself was the one who made the call to remove those scenes, against Marcia's objections (those deleted scenes were among the ones Marcia was responsible for editing).

Pretty big omission, no?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  12. MaverickJedi85

MaverickJedi85 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2019
    No.

Still many wounds open from 1999-2005.

Gräfin Zeppelin likes this.
  13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
  14. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Yes.

*stern and solemn expression*

Darkslayer likes this.
  15. Gräfin Zeppelin

Gräfin Zeppelin Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 14, 2019
    Yeah just keep this imbecile away from Star Wars and all is good.

16. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    So I corrected the false thing that you said and your response is to insult me?

You should probably delete this post.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    wobbits, Darkslayer and darkspine10 like this.
  17. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Of course I would be fine with it. It’s his creation.

18. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Lucas himself does not have the fire to write or direct. But he has the ideas and the wisdom. My ideal hope would be for Lucas' ideas and wisdom to be processed through writers and directors who have experience in film other than vacuous blockbuster action franchises Transformers / Mission Impossible / (anything) JJ Abrams / Pirates of the Caribbean, Fast and Furious, Bay / Emmerich, etc.
    I'm sure there's a probably excellent reason that Kathryn Bigelow would not make a good director for this material. I'm sure there's a probably excellent reason that Coen Brothers would not make a good director team for this material. I'm sure there's a probably excellent reason that Christopher Nolan would not make a good director for this material.
    Rian Johnson could have been saddled and given a bit and he could have pulled a lot of dramatic weight. Nope, he was let completely loose.
    Guillermo Del Toro could be reigned in, maybe, and produce a feasible Star Wars product...?
    If someone could clone Quentin Tarantino and set his target market to 12 years old... and then have a bit and saddle... he could pull a lot of weight.

19. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    Yes. Imagine if he did and remade the ST? Then the current ST would be known as EU. Can you imagine???? The internet would surely explode! Sadly, this will not happen. ;(

Darkslayer and Emperor Ferus like this.
  20. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    wobbits and Emperor Ferus like this.
  21. Eike Starseeker

Eike Starseeker Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 1, 2019
    Amusing, looks like damage control, if this is true this are welcoming news.
    If he helps with projects unrelated to the ST I can see sucess, but everything which have to do with the ST...uh even Lucas cant fix this.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  22. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    This is an easy one for me. Of course. If GL makes a choice I disagree with, oh well, it's his story and he can do whatever the hell he wants. I'm never going to feel like GL is ruining GL's story. When Disney does it, it feels blasphemous, like how dare they purchase this man's legacy and baby, just to treat his characters and the story he build and told like garbage? If anyone is going to do that, it should only be GL lol.

Alexrd, wobbits, darkspine10 and 6 others like this.
  23. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I don't think it would really matter honestly.

The problem with the new SW has nothing really to do with whether George Lucas is at the helm or not. Disney's Star Wars has done good things (even whilst being divisive), but the one quality that George Lucas had over the new generation of SW is a clear vision and understanding for the story. The PT feels like a narrative that is planned from the start and told as singular story. Also there is so much imagination in Lucas' films that feels absent from New Star Wars, which mostly seeks to cash in on nostalgia. But GL isn't the only one with a booming imagination.

What the franchise needs is something both new and good. The Last Jedi, The Mandalorian, and Rogue One all feel like something new and different (even with Vader in RO). And none of those were made by George Lucas. The guy has great ideas and stuff, but there are plenty of other really talented people with great ideas who could do something for this franchise.

24. Triad Moons

Triad Moons Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 14, 2020
    A little while ago, this might've seemed cool to me. I don't think Lucas coming back as a consultant is gonna course correct Disney's general failings with the property and flat out refusal to commit to diversity. But if Lucas makes it appear like that, then the corporation already has a victory under the belt.

25. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    Put me in the camp that really wants to see his sequel trilogy story treatments.

I think to be fair, Disney lacked his singluar vision and freedom to take risks, so the fact that committees made decisions limited the quality we could get, especially since making their money back has always been a high priority in the Disney era followed closely by minimizing controversy from various concern groups and fans.

Probably the worst decision in my opinion, after discarding most of Lucas' sequel outline, was the deliberate distancing from the prequel trilogy that afflicted The Force Awakens and its press junket. At a couple of points it felt like JJ Abrams was dismissive toward it and implied the sequels were the "real" continuation. Maybe I read it wrong though. The sequels improved when they acknowledged the whole continuity more. I really want to see what Lucas laid out however and I want to know just what they were afraid to do.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Darkslayer and Emperor Ferus like this.