main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would you burn a SW book to survive?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Oct 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    You're right, those weren't the books. :)

2. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    It would be hard, but if it was the only way to stay alive I suppose. :(

3. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Genghis, I think hypothetically we're supposed to be stranded with our favorite Star Wars book, so it's doubtful you'd wind up burning Zahn's trilogy and duology. :)

Back to the topic at hand here... hm... would I burn BP to stay alive? I think so, yes. Life is generally a good thing, and as numerous other people have pointed out, one could always buy another book upon returning to civilization, after all.

4. Asyr Handor

Asyr Handor Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 1999
    Ahh, but what if you were never returning to Civilization? Suppose you were in the woods because there was no civilization left and you had one book? Would you burn that one book??? Would you deprive future generations of that one book??? Or would you pull a Guy Montag and memorize the whole book??? And if you did, would you lose something in the "translation"??? ;)

Then would you burn it???

5. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    If there's no civilization left, what in the Sith am I doing somewhere in the wilderness with only a Star Wars book? :)

Seriously, I think I would probably still burn it. The urge to stay alive can be a pretty strong one. Besides, who knows? Even if civilization as we knew it was gone, in the future I might accidentally stumble upon a half-burnt-down warehouse miraculously loaded with hundreds of crates of Star Wars books. (Then again, I suppose it's possible I might have died and gone to heaven in that case... :D)

6. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    Yes I would.

7. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000
    Ahh, but what if you were never returning to Civilization? Suppose you were in the woods because there was no civilization left and you had one book? Would you burn that one book??? Would you deprive future generations of that one book??? Or would you pull a Guy Montag and memorize the whole book??? And if you did, would you lose something in the "translation"???

Then would you burn it???

Take a deep breath, in and out. Calm down, have some dip.

8. Darth Thrawn

Darth Thrawn Jedi Master star 3

Mar 18, 2000
    Id burn at least 3 books.

And that wouldnt be to save my life

9. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    This is ridiculous. Yes, I would burn it. I would do whatever I had to to survive. Then, if I ever got back to civilization, I would buy lots and lots of Star Wars books and give them to the public library to make up for it. The end. Period.

10. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    theres a lot of paper in those Zahn books :)

I would, simple reason. You burn, you stay alive, you get out, you rebuy it :)

11. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    You know what would make a good fire? My textbooks!! I told my dad we could use them if we ever run out of firewood during a power outage. ;)

12. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    When it comes to values and morals, it is all in the thought (usally, there are some actions that are wrong no matter what). In this case, you are not burning a book to surpress knowlage, you are burning it to live. You guys are so bent on dieing for a cause i laugh.

BTW, i would burn the cover and then page by page, it is likly to get boaring in that wasteland...

13. suncrusherX

suncrusherX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2001
    you know what? I like the cold, forget the fire. I'm using the pages for toilet paper.

14. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    You won't need toilet paper, because there is nothing to eat to be digested. Unless you feel, like eating some of the paper, ;).

15. JediSilverstar

JediSilverstar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2001
    My favorite book being Lucas' own Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker, I'd die first. That'd be like burning the Bible... it's just sacrelige

Like my new icon? The guys at the AotC forums are gonna give me hell for my EU alignment though...

16. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Actually, there's no deadwood here, and all the trees are huge, so big you can't even reach the lowest branches.

Um, that never happens, trust me. I live in the 'Great' Northwest, and there is undergrowth galore, as in any forest. The trick is finding some that isn't soaked, and moldy.

Lesson: If you go to the forest, bring your cell phone, an emergency blanket, a pocket knife, a flashlight, an energy bar, and water, .......and a compass... :p

17. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    I'd burn it. No knowledge is being destroyed- I still know what the book is about, and I can get another copy as soon as I get back to civilization. As much as we would like to avoid anything that reminds us of Hitler, there's really very little relation.

18. d4r24aw2m42as

d4r24aw2m42as Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2001
    Are you guys who are saying that you would die before burning a book, which has millions of copies in print, insane? I would burn it first chance I got. Without a moment's hesitation. I might eat a few pages first. But books don't burn well. If it were just a book, it burns one page at a time, each one folding upwards when it catches aflame. If it were kindling, though it MIGHT work. I wonder why Mastadge hates me enough to put me in the middle of a wasteland, but he still gives me a SW book.

19. Commander__Wright

Commander__Wright Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2000
  20. Cypher18

Cypher18 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 1, 2001
    If it was Crystal star id burn it.

21. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    I never harm books no matter how crappy they are, even if they're EU...

But if my survival was on the line, hell yeah.

22. The Cat

The Cat Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    This is ridiculous. Hitler didn't advocate burning books for the sake of burning them. Hitler wasn't against books; he wrote one himself! He was against the IDEAS in the books.

Think about it: would you try to imrpess a girl with your convictions by stating that you would rather die than set fire to a single copy of Wedge's Gamble?

23. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    I would if it was cold enough, or I needed light. But if I was so deep in Utah, er, a wasteland that lighting a fire didn't matter...then I'd set fire to it anyway. Hopefull somebody would see that I was pissed I screwed myself so badly by getting lost in Utah.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd just rip out the non-story pages like the copyright title page or one of the galaxy maps and burn those, spare the book::)

25. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I'm a eagle scout! I'd just make a fire out of the kinling around me in the woods!

But, I would burn the book if I had to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.