main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Would you like mostly new music or more established music?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by ScorpionJedi, Jul 7, 2013.

1. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Ok so it's a given that John Williams is in, so as the title says do you want John Williams to compose mostly new music for the movie while still keeping staples like Binary Sunset and the theme of course e.g. The Old Republic Game which had the theme and mostly original music like:

or just mainly use more of the old stuff like using Duel of the Fates again and Throne Room etc and derivatives of it?

I for one want a 50/50 ratio of old to new. I would love it if I got to hear Duel of the Fates again in the big lightsaber duel while hearing new stuff.

2. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Given JW's approach to the other 6 entries, it will be very much new material but he will continue to reference musical identity with existing themes when appropriate. That's been his style on these films from the get-go; doubt he'll change that now.

That doesn't mean the sound editor/director wouldn't re-track scenes with existing cues, which did happen quite a bit in the PT. That is really out of JW's hands. He could compose something absolutely fresh and brilliant, but in the editing Abrams or Burtt might feel the old DOTF track would suit a particular scene better and replace it. Par for the course with film scoring.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I absolutely want to hear new music. It's one of the things I look forward to most about a new Star Wars movie and usually I go see it at least once simply to pay attention to the score. I love the old themes just as much as everyone else but it is the new ones that make me go out and spend money on the soundtrack when it is released.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Mostly new music with a couple of established pieces, such as my phone's ringtone the main Star Wars theme. I've always liked the music written for the characters--Anakin's theme in TPM, Across the Stars in AOTC, Luke and Leia's theme in ROTJ--and I hope to hear pieces for the new characters.

One piece I absolutely do not want to hear again, however, would be the Imperial March. With TCW using it every time Anakin scowled, I've heard enough for one lifetime.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  5. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    What if the Empire was the antagonist in Episode VII? :p

6. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    THIS. I definitely expect to hear some new and epic orchestral and symphonic music from John Williams. Part of Star Wars' charm is in the score, and really, would SW be the same without John Williams?

Maybe not the Imperial March, but I wouldn't mind if they reused or remixed the Emperor's Theme for the new villain if he or she is Sith or Sith-related. That would be a nice throwback.

Speaking of TCW, I really found Kevin Kiner's music for Season 5 to be very solid. Interspersing some hints of Williams' own themes but ultimately being unique in its own way. I am fully expecting Williams' own music to be like that, but a thousand-fold better!

For a sample, take a listen to this:

7. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I wholeheartedly agree with the Imperial March. It was great in the OT, effective in the PT, but there is no need to bring the song that signifies the Dark Side of Anakin into the ST, where Ani will no longer be a character.

Episode Swag likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If we see a Tie Fighter or something Imperial in the ST I want the Imperial March just the once. Just the one time.

Episode Swag and darthfettus2015 like this.
  9. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I would like to see mostly new and more established music.

10. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    mixture of both multi layered as per usual please

11. Dasan

Dasan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 7, 2013
    The music is one of my favorite things about the Star Wars films, including the prequels. What John Williams has accomplished is really very impressive when you consider how little he re-used the music from the OT for the PT, and how good the original music for the prequels really is. I hope he continues that tradition and uses previous themes music very sparingly.

Even re-using Duel of the Fates would be pushing it, for me. Referencing it would be fine, like Williams referenced The Force theme in Battle of the Heroes, but I would prefer he not re-use any of his previous material wholesale. If the Empire continues to be a presence, I do think the Imperial March would be welcome, and The Force theme certainly is welcome as long as The Force plays a role in the story (as it should). But every new hero deserves their own theme, a new villain their own march and new lovers their own sweeping melody.

And I assume that is what we will get, which makes me incredibly excited. I adore his score so much and I can't wait to add even more of his Star Wars music to my collection!

12. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Aside from perhaps a few musical cues, I feel that the main score of this new trilogy should be new.

Music is what kept the fans of the divide together (not counting those people that hate for the sake of hating), so the last thing we need is something for them to drive them apart.

Dasan likes this.
  13. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    it think the themes will continue just like the PT but im sure JW will make it fit

14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I love the TOR main theme, so something between that and classic would be awesome. Obviously we need the classic theme for the scroll.

15. JStepp

JStepp Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 10, 2011
    A mix Jon Williams is a music god and we are all blessed when he deigns to give us more star wars music.

Episode Swag likes this.
  16. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Like everything else in the ST, I would like to see lots of new ground broken, with familiar elements used when appropriate in the story.

17. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I completely agree with everyone saying we need new music, with old themes popping up at appropriate times. Basically the same approach Williams took every time he scored a new film.

But really, I just wanted to comment on how AMAZING the score to The Old Republic is. So many great rich, involving pieces that create something new while drawing upon a clear sense of history. Easily the biggest and best contribution to Star Wars music since ROTS.

18. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Perhaps something like the Sith theme from KOTOR, which is essentially a simpler, more archaic sounding form of Palpatines theme? Just imagine this, except recorded with a full orchestra (KOTOR was, to my knowledge, done entirely on synthesizer):

EDIT: Just as an apology, I intended to edit this into to my post above. Sorry for the double post.

Circular_Logic likes this.
  19. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    Both, I definitely want to hear some of the musical scores that made the other movies great. However, I wouldn't mind hearing other masterpieces John Williams will be coming up with.

20. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Mainly new (with faint reoccurring themes). There'd be no point buying the soundtrack if it was all the same music :)

21. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    It ISN'T necessarily the same music; the way any given leitmotif is rendered depends on so much: inflection, emotional tone, the tempo of the scene it's being used in. That's why Williams could use the Force theme over and over (or, indeed, ANY of the major themes) and it would never sound exactly the same twice. That's the whole point of the leitmotif formnula that Richard Wagner introduced to the general audience and which is still in use today.

Should Williams use previously written themes for the ST? Of course. Why not? It makes sense. Should he compose new ones? Again, of course. Why not? It makes sense. The story demands should determine how much of which to use at any given time in the film, and the emotional demands of each moment in a scene should determine how they're rendered. It's that simple.

My issue is: Williams' effectiveness must not be hamstrung by other considerations. in AOTC, Williams had both one of his more interesting new themes and one of the worst incidents of mangling his music I've ever heard. I LOVED his love theme for Anakin and Padme', absolutely adored it. I thought it was on par with some of the best of his work in TESB (and we all know I'm no fan of things PT, so I think you'll agree this is a hell of a concession); by the same token, listen to the music in the last twenty, thirty minutes of that movie. Some of it is original, yes, but most of it is just switched about stuff from other parts of the score; hell, even stuff from the PTM score, if you listen for it! Largely, I'm convinced that this is because the completion of effects, the editing, everything for that final sequence was rushed, and that prevented Williams from being able to fill the scene with score properly.

Compare and contrast that with the ending music for ANY of the OT films (particularly in TESB - before the special edition threw speed bumps into it by editing in those damned Vader-landing sequences); music helps to build up tension and carry the drama forward; but it can't do that if it's a patchwork mess.

Trebor Sabreon and Sarge like this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I expect to hear new themes but there should be some old themes to prove that the ST is a successor to the OT and PT.

23. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    You know what would be really stupid cool? If most of the movie had the regular John Williams music, and then at the climax, suddenly RULES OF NATURE out of absolutely nowhere.

Tonal congruity is for suckers.

Seagoat likes this.
  24. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I want new music. I would hate to see this end up like a certain other movie which shall not be named (dont worry its not Star wars) which IMO was just the composer reusing music from its more popular *and better* first trilogy. Heck they even used the ringwraith theme during a scene that had nothing to do with them!
    *opps did I just give away what movie I am talking about. Sorry ;) *
    So yeah I want new music, new themes, all that stuff

25. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    The Hobbit is NOT a proper example to cite as a reason not to use older musical leitmotifs in Star Wars. There may be reasons not to do so, but that isn't one of 'em. That movie failed for reasons that go far beyond the music, first and foremost being the sheer ponderous length of the thing (and this is just the first film of a damned trilogy, folks!). Tolkien apparently wasn't kidding when he said "the road goes ever on and on..."