main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would you like to see a TV-series where scientists explore Wild Space?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Yunzabit, Mar 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I have a theory on that....that they are designed for human crews but he Seppies put on droids as they could stay at their station when biologicals would need breaks biological needs....the crew complement would be 4X what the droid crew is.

Hopeless likes this.
  2. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Separatist ships are mainly not designed for humans but for other species and their droids. Neimoidians use a lot of droids so Lucrehulks and Providence- cruisers have only small crew of neimoidians aboard and a lot of droids. Munificents are Banking Clan ships so they are probably designed for muuns and their droids, but since IGBC seems to use a lot of droids as well it was easy to convert them to fully droid-crewed ships. I think that 4x crew complement is pretty much right though. but it could be even more really. All Star Wars capital ships seem to require some droids to work anyway.

3. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I said human but meant biological in general. If they were droid controlled then why have actual bridge stations for individual battle droids on the bridge and such.

4. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    In many episodes Grievous, Dooku and separatist officers used the bridges as their command posts. It seems that the ships are designed so that they can be crewed either by droids or biologicals. Pilot droids and tactical droids can clearly use mostly same consoles, control stations, turrets etc. as biological crew members. Some systems require maintenance droids in any case, that is why Republic, Imperial and Rebel ships also have large number of different droids in their crew. Sure some systems may be more automatized in CIS ships and battle droid crew doesn't require living conditions as biological crew does making it cheaper and saving space.

Droid crew however requires things like recharge stations and routine maintenance biological crew doesn't, it is also more vulnerable to sabotage or reprogramming and well... kinda stupid compared to living crew since especially B1 programming has it's limits. If there would be no need for biological crew at all, then optimal solution would be fully automatize systems so there would be no need to separate battle droid crew either, so it seems to be compromise that ships need a crew but it can be either biological or droid crew. Not sure if there were any fully automatized capital ships- those could be deadly if they go rogue for some reason like glitch or sabotage.

I think that out-of-universe reason for CIS-ships with nothing but battle droid crew is also the limit of animation models they had time to make for each episode. I think that most capital ships were supposed to have a small crew of biologicals, at least a captain and few officers, but they didn't have time to make all those characters for TCW-episodes so instead they used battle droid models to crew the ships and created tactical droids to replace living officers that would require new models for them to be made. In-universe explanation could be that CIS lacked competent officers and staff to crew their entire armada so they replaced many crews fully with droids. That was also part of Sidious' and Dooku's plan to make separatist navy easier to control and shut it quickly down when the war ended.

I personally like the idea that many old separatist ships were modified and used by the early Rebel Alliance and groups like pirates and smugglers. Even though most separatist hardware were probably melted down by the Empire to fuel their war machine.

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe we could see Massassi ruins on other planets (the Massassi could be a civilization that fascinates scientists). We could also see Gree ruins and a reference to a clone naming himself after thr Gree. If something Force-related is found, they could mention contacting the Jedi (or Vader if it's during the Empire's reign) but not show it.

Last edited: May 23, 2018