main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Would you like to see George Lucas involved again in the new movies ?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by gezvader28, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Nando Bread

Nando Bread Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2022
  2. Power of the Dark Side

Power of the Dark Side Jedi Master star 3

Mar 17, 2023
    Yes. I kind of doubt he would want to be heavily involved given that he is semi-retired, but at a minimum asking him to give the scripts a once over would probably be a good idea.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  3. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    Absolutely.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  4. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
  5. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    As a creative consultant, yes.
    As somebody who pitches story concepts, yes.
    As the screenplay writer, no.
    As the director, no.

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    No because I want him to enjoy his retirement.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, but I'd rather he enjoy his retirement. :)

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Maybe, but I’d rather he enjoy his retirement. :p

9. Tia

Tia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2022
    never mind, redundant joke :p

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I actually just want to see the weird little movies he keeps threatening to make in his garage.

11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I also really want to visit his museum one of these days.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  12. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Apparently he has made some, but no one will get to see them. Sadly I think the criticism to the Prequels really hurt him, and he’s probably worried about the slander which will come his way if the experimental movies are released publicly. I’d really like to see them.

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Agreed, and that is a shame. I think Lucas excels like no other at pop entertainment, especially when he’s working in tandem with other talented artists and craftspeople, but I also enjoy stuff like THX 1138 or his student films.

14. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Generally I think Lucas is really good at understanding genre films and their constituent elements. When you show a film to most people they know that they like it, but they don’t understand the elements which make it compelling - even a lot of directors, especially moderns ones, don’t understand this. But Lucas, and others in the ‘rat pack,’ like Scorsese and Spielberg, really know the elements of genre films, so when they go to make genre films they’re really good at capturing those elements themselves.

You could probably give Lucas any genre to make a film of and he’ll make a film which is true and faithful to that genre at the very least. That’s probably why he likes experimenting - because he understands established genres enough to try and forge something actually unique.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  15. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I liked him in his role in TCW. He’s part of the story meetings, and perhaps in the editing room, but that’s about it.

It seemed like Lucas was heavy in deriving inspiration from the films he enjoyed growing up. So Star Wars was this mix of westerns, samurai films, WW2 films, Flash Gordon, gangster movies, etc.

He had this magic mix of inspirations that he blended together with the common themes of myths.

With TCW, some of the episodes are blatant homages to other films, like Godzilla.

When I look at something like Rogue One or TFA, it feels self inspired from ANH. It’s Star Wars inspired by older Star Wars.

Solo, as much as it feels often overlooked, drew its inspirations from westerns, and gangster movies, with car chases and train robberies. It felt inspired. Same with Mandalorian.

Even if they just gave Lucas a new series when he just comes in at the beginning of every season lays out rough outlines for each episode, as he did with TCW, I’d be fine with that.

I feel like Daisy Ridley fell through the cracks as an actress whose career seemed to go nowhere after the ST unlike Boyega, Isaacs, and Driver. And I feel like they are doing right by her.

Ahmed Best was at the receiving end of a lot of bullying, and LucasFilm did right by him.

Hayden and Ewan were in the spotlight in the prequels which were treated harshly, and Kenobi really let them shine.

The two big glaring omissions for me are Jake Lloyd and George himself.

I think, it would be nice to see George partner with LFL in some way, even if its just a few weeks of Zoom call consultations for a standalone and a Celebration appearance. Some sort of good-will gesture to put him in the spotlight of his former company and baby would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moxlox likes this.
  16. Grizzlor

Grizzlor Jedi Master star 1

Mar 14, 2015
    The last straw for George was almost a decade ago now, when they tossed his concept for TFA. Whatever he proposed by now is conjecture, but it's difficult to imagine his ideas could be any worse than the spine shuddering dreck concocted by J.J. or Rian. They ruined his Skywalker saga, plain and simple, and so why would he ever wish to return?

Secondly, at his age? He's done. It was cool regardless to see him being taken around the set of The Mandalorian by Jon and Dave though. Filoni was in many ways George's heir apparent for the franchise. Nobody (at Lucasfilm) understands the mythos quite like him; however, his transition from episodic animation to live action has been largely successful. This season's Mandalorian and going back to Boba-Fett has not been his best work.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  17. moxlox

moxlox Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Well following the new Celebration announcements I would really love George Lucas have some involvement in James Mangold’s Dawn of the Jedi film. I'd like to see him as an advisor as he surely had ideas on the origin of the Jedi and roots of the Force. Would be fantastic if he could input to the writing team in this area. Hell, I'd love him to be involved in the art and stylistic selection too as he did with the first 6 films and CW - his rubber stamp over the visualisation and background of the era (aka as we see him in TPM making of documentary literally stamping approval on artwork).

18. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Because it could be fun for him?

He’s made it clear he doesn’t want to be tied up doing movies due to the time commitment.

But let’s say they picked a relatively untouched time period that George might have a rough outline for (like the fall of the Old Republic/Bane era). They bring George onboard to give a handful of story outlines. They give one of those story outlines to different animation studios around the world and they market as Visions Season 3 and make it canon and honor it going forward? Why not. Minimal time commitment from George, he has free reign to tell the stories he wants, minimal risk for Disney, George gets to be involved in the editing perhaps of animation styles from many different countries.

It could be a fun thing for him, it’s a good gesture from Iger and Kennedy, and It’s a feel good moment for fans, etc.

If LFL reached out to him and he said no, that’s one thing; but if they just assume he’d say no or they just want to “let him enjoy retirement,” that seems like the polite way of saying “we don’t want to deal with him.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
    moxlox likes this.
  19. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    He should be involved in the 1st Jedi movie

wobbits and moxlox like this.
  20. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    I think and hope Mangold would consult Lucas -- or at least any existing notes George has -- on this fundamental aspect of the SW mythology.

That doesn't mean he has to adhere to George's ideas 100%, but it would be foolish not to consider them carefully and incorporate a few central ideas.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope this as well, but I'll understand if he doesn't.

22. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    George should allow a Rakata exhibit at his narrative art museum. The museum is slated to open in 2025. Perrrrrfect timing. He could also toss in a giant hive playground.

"Some Rakata reached a height of 12 ft. tall during the heights of the Infinite Empire."

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  23. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Lucas: what the **** is a Rakata?

Sarge, B3 and Riv_Shiel like this.
  24. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    After finding that all of Filoni's bad ideas originated from Lucas, then no.

25. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]